What is "perfect condition?"

Schientist

Schientist
O.G.
Oct 5, 2009
I realize that I suffer from "over-description syndrome." If I'm selling a bag on Ebay, I describe every. single. detail. about it that is imperfect, even if one stitch is missing or there's a slight discoloration on the inside of the inside zipper pocket. I attach no less than 6 enlargeable pictures. Totally self-aware about this. But at least I feel like the buyer knows what they're getting.

I bought a Coach bag that the description said, "in perfect condition" as the only descriptor.

What does "perfect condition" mean to you, for a used bag? At what point would you feel that it was NOT in perfect condition? At what point would you file a SNAD or ask for a refund?

I'm trying to see what the general consensus is as far as what's expected among buyers (and sellers!)

I realize that I suffer from "over-description syndrome." If I'm selling a bag on Ebay, I describe every. single. detail. about it that is imperfect, even if one stitch is missing or there's a slight discoloration on the inside of the inside zipper pocket. I attach no less than 6 enlargeable pictures. Totally self-aware about this. But at least I feel like the buyer knows what they're getting.

Don't think there is such a thing, actually and I think most of the people who do are usually just miffed, because they think it makes them look lax in comparison! :lol:

It's like - is it actually possible to be too pretty? Or is it just that some, less pretty, girls think so? ;)

I bought a Coach bag that the description said, "in perfect condition" as the only descriptor.

What does "perfect condition" mean to you, for a used bag? At what point would you feel that it was NOT in perfect condition? At what point would you file a SNAD or ask for a refund?

I'm trying to see what the general consensus is as far as what's expected among buyers (and sellers!)

I think 'perfect' is a dodgy word to use, TBH; as is anything, really, perfect?

I think 'mint' is a far better word to use.

Perfect, in this context, should mean exactly as the designer/manufacturer intended - so no unintended flaws, wear, or damage, at all.

I say 'unintended' flaws, as some items are intentionally imperfect, of course - they have aged HW and/or crinkly leather, or whatever - and so, they are in mint (or 'perfect') condition, even though they are imperfect.

Last edited:
I agree, ask the seller as many questions as possible. Not only do you get the info you were looking for, but you can vibe them out a bit by the way the respond.

I agree with you schientist - i too list every little flaw on a bag if there are any - then the buyer knows 100% what they are getting and there can be no comeback. If i buy a bag that is listed as 'perfect condition' then I would expect the bag to be just that - no flaws, marks, scratches, missing bits - but perfect!
I recently bought a bag that was described as 'hardly used' with 'just a couple of surface scratches' but was in fact IMO a total faded used and abused mess! and I ended up selling it for quite a loss (my fault - I was offered a refund but i thought I could make it better with some tlc) I listed the bag with every single fault described and photographed. The buyer of my bag then sold it a day after receiving it at a humungous profit but listed it as 'very good condition' with the only wear being 'slightly darkened handles'!!
It think this just proves really that different people see wear in totally different ways and you have to ask every single question you can think of re wear and tear and get phots of every aspect of the bag!
If you are not happy at all I would ask the seller for a refund and see how you get on - if needs be then file a SNAD and get your money back. Perfect should mean just that.

PS: if you have advice for getting massive scuffs out of black Soho leather, please do share. :-P

I don't think, whatever our definitions, an item with massive scuffs could ever be, accurately, described as 'perfect'. :nogood:

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter how the seller described the overall condition.

What really matters, is that the seller failed to mention the scuffs; so the item is SNAD.

I'd ask for a full refund, including original shipping fee, if I were you.

chloehandbags;14551994 I think 'perfect' is a dodgy word to use said:
should[/I] mean exactly as the designer/manufacturer intended - so no unintended flaws, wear, or damage, at all.

I say 'unintended' flaws, as some items are intentionally imperfect, of course - they have aged HW and/or crinkly leather, or whatever - and so, they are in mint (or 'perfect') condition, even though they are imperfect.

Even mint is a hard word to use.......mint means one thing to you and something else to me. Years ago we had a collector who told me never to use the word "Mint" because if there was something wrong that was so tiny you couldn't see it with the naked eye.......it was not Mint. I have never used the word to describe anything.

Even mint is a hard word to use.......mint means one thing to you and something else to me.

I don't know, I think 'mint' has a pretty fixed meaning - i.e. in exactly the same condition it was in at the moment it was completed.

So, that doesn't have to be perfect - just very crisp and unused-looking.

I think 'perfect' has a very fixed meaning too but, unlike mint, it's virtually unheard of! :biggrin:

For example, my new Chloe clutch is in mint condition, as it looks exactly as it would have done when in left the factory; but it is not in perfect condition, as it has a small blemish on the leather.

I think problems only really arise when people use these overall desciptors (mint, perfect, excellent) and then don't bother to list all the issues the item has, individually, don't you?

Years ago we had a collector who told me never to use the word "Mint" because if there was something wrong that was so tiny you couldn't see it with the naked eye.......it was not Mint. I have never used the word to describe anything.

Yes, you're (or he's) probably, technically, right, deekai and certainly in the case of used items. :yes:

I think it's far safer to say 'The bag has x and y issues but, otherwise, is in excellent condition.' (assuming it actually is, of course!).

Last edited:
i have gotten many PERFECT bags/accessories from ebay!!!
the bags looks just like they would if i had ordered them straight from the warehouse. no stains or marks - no odor - no rips or tears. absolutely nothing wrong with the bag at all and looks as if the seller bought it then stuck it in the closet and forgot about it!!:yahoo: that is what perfect means to me.

mere girl said:
well apparently the bag came up like new after (yet another??!!) moisturise so that was lucky.....my conscience is clear

Oh, well that was lucky, then, wasn't it? :lol:

You know, I'm beginning to think we're all just a bunch of mugs, here - maybe we should all just decide that the meaning of 'perfect' is horrendously disgusting and start listing anything we sell, accordingly, from now on?

Then, when someone complains, we can just say we had absolutely no idea that anyone would, possibly, have a problem; as everyone knows that 'perfect' means completely different things to different people...

...and then, all we have to hope for, is that the buyer isn't aware of the existence of dictionaries! :biggrin:

Then, when someone complains, we can just say we had absolutely no idea that anyone would, possibly, have a problem; as everyone knows that 'perfect' means completely different things to different people...

...and then, all we have to hope for, is that the buyer isn't aware of the existence of dictionaries! :biggrin:

HA... That made my day!

It seems most of us are in agreement that "perfect" should at least mean no visible flaws... which is what it means to me...

In this case, the bag came with noticeable scuffs all along the bottom edges, several "dings" (yeah, the Schientist doesn't actually know what the technical term is...) and full of crumbs on the inside. The seller is arguing with me that "I do object to your argument that the description was not acurate. This is not a new item. Coach does not make this bag any longer. You paid less than $50 for an authentic Coach leather bag." Like it matters how much I paid for it if the description is wrong...

Now I get to decide whether I want to file SNAD and be out return shipping, or just try to clean it up and use it anyway. This is why I've been asking about how to fix Soho leather scuffs... :thinking: