How to rock a white (or khaki) blazer...?

PurseAddict79

PerpetuallyPenniless
O.G.
Sep 11, 2008
I totally love the idea of a white boyfriend blazer, but everytime I try one on I feel like a doctor...

I need outfit ideas for a white boyfriend blazer. Thoughts?

Oh... annnnd what about a khaki blazer? I haven't seen hardly any khaki blazers in any fashion mags this season, but it could be because I've just overlooked them because I've always viewed khaki as a "casual" color.

I like the contrast of white with dark colors, or brights on top ... or jeans, pencil skirt, walking shorts... funk it up with gladiator heels and chunky jewelry for play... for work it would look great with an all black outfit - like a black blouse with a black skirt and tights.

I like wearing khaki jackets over sundresses, jeans, and navy or red work dresses.

I have one bad@ss Ann Demeulemeester white blazer, I swear I've seen in on Lady Gaga. The only thing is that I'm NOT Lady Gaga, at all. I normally wear twinsets and not performance art headgear. But, there are ways to get that white blazer, no matter how crazy, to look good.

1. it is all about fit. Is it a really nice white blazer that fits you properly? If so, good! It won't be distracting people because they want to put you in their car and take you to the tailor. Very important.
2. is it stain-free? I swear, white blazers are stain-attractors, like giant white beacons.
3. the tip to making it work is about opposites. Take a good hard look at the blazer and make a list of what things would be opposite to it. For mine, it is normal jeans, stud earrings and a very simple blouse.
4. once you know what is opposite to your blazer, wear that. If your blazer is super formal, wear something that isn't. If it has panels extending out sideways from the shoulders like mine, wear something that is simple as simple can be.

When you put two opposite items together you get balance, the key to a good outfit. That is how you avoid looking "too" something.

Yes, I learned this from the Tyra Show where she babbles on about how when you model, you do the opposite of what the outfit looks like, so if you're in a couture gown, you pose like you're in Bape and that makes you high-fashion. I've found that this concept also works when picking out stuff for an outfit.

Hope that helps!!!

Hi, PA! I think you could totally rock a white blazer. You could wear it with one of your pencil skirts ,a tucked in, loose white T and gladiator sandals for a casual, put together look. I could also see you wearing it with a pair of jeans, heels and a sailor stripe T.

It's funny you mention khaki blazers. I didn't realize until now that I have three or four of them (collected over the years). I thnk they can be a good staple in someone's wardrobe. On the other hand, I just bought my first white one a few months ago I can already see wearing it with a few things in my closet. Good luck!

I have one bad@ss Ann Demeulemeester white blazer, I swear I've seen in on Lady Gaga. The only thing is that I'm NOT Lady Gaga, at all. I normally wear twinsets and not performance art headgear. But, there are ways to get that white blazer, no matter how crazy, to look good.

1. it is all about fit. Is it a really nice white blazer that fits you properly? If so, good! It won't be distracting people because they want to put you in their car and take you to the tailor. Very important.
2. is it stain-free? I swear, white blazers are stain-attractors, like giant white beacons.
3. the tip to making it work is about opposites. Take a good hard look at the blazer and make a list of what things would be opposite to it. For mine, it is normal jeans, stud earrings and a very simple blouse.
4. once you know what is opposite to your blazer, wear that. If your blazer is super formal, wear something that isn't. If it has panels extending out sideways from the shoulders like mine, wear something that is simple as simple can be.

When you put two opposite items together you get balance, the key to a good outfit. That is how you avoid looking "too" something.

Yes, I learned this from the Tyra Show where she babbles on about how when you model, you do the opposite of what the outfit looks like, so if you're in a couture gown, you pose like you're in Bape and that makes you high-fashion. I've found that this concept also works when picking out stuff for an outfit.

Hope that helps!!!

:goodpost: Love it - great tips!

White blazers look super cute in the summer time over dresses or with jean shorts and t-shirts. It needs to be tailored and the right length. If you feel like you're wearing a doctor's coat then maybe the ones you're trying on are too long and boxy. Head to the petite's or juniors department instead. I've attached some links with pics of people wearing white boyfriend blazers. As for khaki blazers, I'm not a fan of anything khaki so I can't be of any help.

http://stylebakery.com/celebstyle/images/mollywhiteblazer.jpg
http://files1.lookbook.nu/files/looks/medium/177821_karl.jpg
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl2/0/3987/26_2009/d5f1198c5a6443f0_Miranda-Kerr-and-Orlando-Bl.jpg
http://images0.chictopia.com/photos/krystalbick/5204928919/5204928919_400.jpg

^ I so love all of those looks, just not sure I can pull them off.

Maybe I need to go shopping for more dresses and skirts. Almost all of my dresses and skirts are black. I think the white would look better with colors, like pink, green, etc.

Haha, I like your "feel like a doctor" statement! I'm in med school and we have to wear the short white coats and I always feel like I'm wearing an ugly polyester blazer! :lol:
Anyways, (back to topic), I think the key is to wear it with something more casual and/or less structured. Shorter dresses, messy tops and shorts outfits, etc, as everyone else here has already mentioned.

Some of my favorite:
ice blue sheath, wide white belt, and white blazer.
black pants, black turtleneck (or silk shell) and white blazer
white pants, white blazer, and striped red or navy shell (for the yacht look) or you can wear a or one-piece bathing suit for more of an edge.

I'd wear it with a grey t-shirt and a pair of jeans for a casual look. For a little more formal look I'd go for black silk blouse tucked into black pants. I also would wear a white blazer over a short dress.

With the boyfriend trend, I always try to balance the bagginess with tighter pieces - skinny jeans, leggings, fitted skirts, etc. in this case.

Plus I've always been told black goes better with light colours, while white goes better with dark colours. However I've also seen exceptions that work really well (depending on the shade).