Any tips on establishing a relationship with an SA?

Don't be scared and don't have that pre-conceived idea that you're too young/old for something. Believe me, you'll send that vibe and you don't want that :shame:
I got my 1st Birkin at 23 and a friend of my mom's thought I was too young for one :rolleyes:
As far as the SA goes, here is my experience: I walked into the store and bought a wallet and some scarves. While my credit card was being charged, something happened to the machine and I patiently waited in the store until the manager could get it running again. The SA who assisted me (it was my 1st time in that store) thought it was so nice of me not to throw fits or act like a diva (makes me wonder what kind of people they get there :shrugs: ) he offered to show me some Kellys ;) A few days later, I got a card from him in the mail and I've been his client ever since :wlae:

Good Luck!!! :flowers:

what i don't understand is why sometimes people have to be "offered" a birkin. if there's one in the store, and someone is interested and can pay for it, why not just sell it? i guess they are worried about resellers.

i was lucky, i went to the opening of a new store and just asked about the birkin selection. it helped that there were two in the display shelf! good luck!

the nutty thing is i've seen a few posts where people are like, i spent this much time at hermes and bought this and that and SUDDENLY the SA offers me a birkin. or, "i bought a kelly and THEN the SA offers me a birkin." it almost put me off from shopping at hermes.

ALMOST. :rolleyes: but it did make me very nervous about going to hermes boutiques, kind of like "was i good enough?" then i got over it, for the most part, anyway.

the nutty thing is i've seen a few posts where people are like, i spent this much time at hermes and bought this and that and SUDDENLY the SA offers me a birkin. or, "i bought a kelly and THEN the SA offers me a birkin." it almost put me off from shopping at hermes.

ALMOST. :rolleyes: but it did make me very nervous about going to hermes boutiques, kind of like "was i good enough?" then i got over it, for the most part, anyway.

Ugh ... It puts me off a big deal but the pathetic thing is, I STILL keep going back to Hermes! I buy a crap load of stuff that I don't want and well ... still not on a list.:Push: And then I found out if I ignore them for a month, then they're suddenly nicer to me. WTH?:shrugs: It's like dealing with guys.

Don't let that turn you off. Hermes makes amazing leathergoods if you stop shopping there you're missing out on the best the world can offer. On the otherhand, I think you shouldn't be nervous and worry about whether you were "good enough". Whatever you buy you're the customer, and you're the one with the money. Different SAs treat customers differently so there's a chance you could bump into a nice SA that knows you're genuine and offer you a Birkin without having you to spend $$$ beforehand. You'll have your day!

My dear...just walk in and work toward getting what you really want...the Kelly! Smile big, speak intelligently, have some knowledge behind you (from the forum), and be yourself. They will help you and one may even take a quick liking to you and it will all happen so fast. Stay confident...that is important... confidence shows maturity...go for what you want!

Don't let that turn you off. Hermes makes amazing leathergoods if you stop shopping there you're missing out on the best the world can offer. On the otherhand, I think you shouldn't be nervous and worry about whether you were "good enough". Whatever you buy you're the customer, and you're the one with the money. Different SAs treat customers differently so there's a chance you could bump into a nice SA that knows you're genuine and offer you a Birkin without having you to spend $$$ beforehand. You'll have your day!

thanks for the sage advice, mudmud! i was lucky, i went to the local hermes when it opened and nabbed me a birkin. what gave me confidence was that it was a new store and there were already two birkins on the shelf, plus i had heard that there would be birkins there :biggrin: the SAs were nice and i think they were sharing my enthusiasm about their bag :heart:

I suppose the best approach is different at every boutique, but just be genuine. It's pretty easy to tell when someone's not.

Really, I find if I show respect for people anywhere, it's usually returned (not always, but often enough that it's my default approach)

I recently overheard a phone call while shopping at Hermes and the manipulation by the customer was disturbing. I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to have customers like that all day long. I don't think I'd keep the same default approach...I also don't think I'd keep the job, lol

^^I was recently at my local Hermes and while I waited for my SA, I overheard a female customer accompanied by her SO ask for a Birkin. Of course the SA explained that there "none currently in the store and it was best for her come in often". To which she replied that it would be impossible because she lived in New York and only came to LA to visit her SO. She continued to tell the SA that she wanted a "medium-sized one" in black and again asked if the SA could locate one for her. The SA again told her there were none and to come in often...it went on like this for awhile. I felt bad for the SA...the customer was a bit too aggressive for me...

I say just be yourself, friendly, and be confident. It also helps to get an SA recommendation.

Wow, everyone offered great advice above! :yes:

I would also add that "don't be afraid to switch SAs." I've been going to the Manhattan Madison Avenue store for 2 years. I started off with an SA ("Original SA"). While the Original SA was helpful, I didn't feel like she was going out of her way to provide me with the best possible service. (<-- Nothing wrong with that though.) One time, I visited the store while the Original SA was off, I started chatting with another SA ("Current SA"). The Current SA was very helpful and showed me a number of Kellys on the spot. She also asked about my existing Hermes items and asked me to list the 3 H bags I would like to have. Within days, she called me to inform me that a bag on my list has arrived. Although I did not purchase it from her at the time (I changed my mind!), she called me again when another bag arrived. That time, I happily purchased from her. I've been working with her since.

I guess my point is that Hermes SAs are like boyfriends, you don't have to marry the first one you date. :P

Reactions: highend