Tiffany Engament ring : Men in Need

victor2101

Mar 6, 2010
Hello everybody,

I'm a 24 old belgian man seeking for some advices !

I am planning to buy a “Tiffany Setting“engagement ring in the New York 5th Avenue Store in May. But I have a few questions ...

- Although I know my future fiancée’s ring size, what if the ring is too small or too large? What is the procedure?
- Do they have all ring’s size in stock for a "modest" diamond weight (I'm thinking for a 0.25==>0.5 carat) ?

Please do not discuss about the size of the diamond or whatever I sould go elsewhere with the budget. I know I'm buying a name, but this name means sth to her, and she would no prefer to have a bigger diamond from elsewhere...

The problem is that my future fiancée lives in Europe and that we will be in New York for only one week.
And I am going to make my marriage proposal while we are there. So I would like to buy the ring on the day of my arrival, do I have to take an appointment?
I am going to arrive In NY 1 day prior her arrival, will I have the time ?

Thank you for your help and lease excuse my poor english

Victor

Last edited:
Congrats I'm sure the ring will b lovely I know when my hubby proposed my ring was too big and we had it sized at a jeweller locally but my ring isn't tiffs

I think the Tiffany setting rings are set in size 6 which is a little too big for me but you can always get it resized once for free!

All right ! That makes sense ! So you advice me to buy the ring as its standard 6 size, make my proposal and then get it resized with my fiancee at the shop ? Is it noticable ?

Edit : What if size 6 is to small ? I can understand that we can get a ring smaller, but larger ?

Last edited:
If you go to the Tiffany's location on 5th avenue in NYC you do not need an appointment to shop for engagement rings. They will have several diamond sizes for you to look at, but the rings all come in the "standard" finger size of 6. Tiffany's will size the ring up or down. This service is free the first time. Generally, if you go to the NYC store, ring sizing will take 2-3 business days. If you are at any location outside of NYC, it will take a couple weeks since the ring will be sent back to NYC. My advice would be to buy the ring before she gets there, propose the night she arrives/day after, then take it back to Tiffany's so they can measure her finger size and be sure that the ring is correct. That way, you should be able to take the ring home with you. However, you should check with the salesperson at Tiffany's when you buy the ring to make sure that they can have the sizing completed in the time you need- from what I remember being told when I shopped for mine, they should be able to do it, but double check anyways.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement, she will love her Tiffany's ring- I know I love mine!

If you go to the Tiffany's location on 5th avenue in NYC you do not need an appointment to shop for engagement rings. They will have several diamond sizes for you to look at, but the rings all come in the "standard" finger size of 6. Tiffany's will size the ring up or down. This service is free the first time. Generally, if you go to the NYC store, ring sizing will take 2-3 business days. If you are at any location outside of NYC, it will take a couple weeks since the ring will be sent back to NYC. My advice would be to buy the ring before she gets there, propose the night she arrives/day after, then take it back to Tiffany's so they can measure her finger size and be sure that the ring is correct. That way, you should be able to take the ring home with you. However, you should check with the salesperson at Tiffany's when you buy the ring to make sure that they can have the sizing completed in the time you need- from what I remember being told when I shopped for mine, they should be able to do it, but double check anyways.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement, she will love her Tiffany's ring- I know I love mine!

Thank you very much for the informations !

The main store is the one located on "Fifth Avenue and 57th Street
New York ? right ? We reserved an Hotel on Times Square so it should be easy to get there
If I buy the ring on may the 5th, and propose the 6th so she should be able to take it back home when she leaves 7 days after if we get her finger measured asap.

I'll call Tiffany's to be sure that the resizing can be done in less than 7 days.

I hope that my english will be fluent enough to get me fully understood :smile:

Last edited:
Your English is very good! At least over the internet. :smile: Just an idea: a friend of mine (whose girlfriend was visiting from out of the country and on a tight schedule), actually proposed AT Tiffany on their outdoor garden patio (this is the location in San Francisco). He had made arrangements ahead of time with the Tiffany staff to have the space all set up for them. They arrived at the store, were guided to the patio that was all set up with flowers and a few candles, he proposed, she was shocked and said yes, and then they went downstairs with happy tears and she picked the engagement ring that he bought that day. :heart:

I know you probably have your proposal idea all ready, and I don't even know if the NYC location has an appropriate spot for something like this, but I just thought I'd throw another idea out there for ya. :smile: My friend said that Tiffany staff was very nice, helpful, and accommodating in setting up the venue for him.

BEST OF LUCK! Your girlfriend is a lucky lady to have such a thoughtful boyfriend. And what I wouldn't give for a Tiffany engagement ring!

Your English is very good! At least over the internet. :smile: Just an idea: a friend of mine (whose girlfriend was visiting from out of the country and on a tight schedule), actually proposed AT Tiffany on their outdoor garden patio (this is the location in San Francisco). He had made arrangements ahead of time with the Tiffany staff to have the space all set up for them. They arrived at the store, were guided to the patio that was all set up with flowers and a few candles, he proposed, she was shocked and said yes, and then they went downstairs with happy tears and she picked the engagement ring that he bought that day. :heart:

I know you probably have your proposal idea all ready, and I don't even know if the NYC location has an appropriate spot for something like this, but I just thought I'd throw another idea out there for ya. :smile: My friend said that Tiffany staff was very nice, helpful, and accommodating in setting up the venue for him.

BEST OF LUCK! Your girlfriend is a lucky lady to have such a thoughtful boyfriend. And what I wouldn't give for a Tiffany engagement ring!

Thank you for the idea and for your wishes ! As you said I already have my proposal idea all ready :smile:
She's gonna be REALLY surprised I think (even more when she'll see the blue box :P)

I need your kind help again :P

A Diamond Sales Professional from Tiffany's (who's very kind and professionnal btw) just answered to my email.

She confirmed that "6" is the size all of their diamond engagement rings. (Wich should be fine with her finger's size btw) but sizing of the ring only takes about 2-4 days if they do need to size the ring. That's good news then...

She told me that the diamond specifications for the entry level prices are color I and clarity SI1 (and Perfect Cut) and asked me what Color and Clarity I would like to have for my diamond so she can select me some.

Color "I" should be fine am I wrong ? Is the color easy to see in normal viewing environments ?

And what about clarity SI1 ? I've understood that it means "Noticeable inclusions easy to locate at 10x" but is it REALLY noticeable at naked eye for a small diamond (and for a novice...) ?
I've read that "The Certified Gemologist-Appraisers recommend selecting a diamond with a clarity grade between FL and SI2. Diamonds with a clarity grade of SI2 usually will not display inclusions to the unaided eye in diamond sizes under one carat." So SI1 should be fine ? Isn't it ?

The big question then is : should I go for as "big" as I can afford and to content myself with a color I and clarity SI1 OR should I go for a superior clarity and/or color and then get a smaller one ?

I am a student and my budget is not unlimited :sad:

Thank you again for your kind help

Last edited:
If I were you, I would go with the larger diamond. With a Tiffany's diamond, I would be shocked if it was not eye-clean, so personally I'd be very comfortable going with an SI1. As for color, an I should be fine also. A Tiffany ring will be so sparkly, that's all you will notice!!

And yes, the store on 5th Ave. at 57th Street is the "main" store.

From my experience with my own diamonds, I would say that MOST people cannot see color in an I color diamond under normal viewing conditions. I have E, G, H, and J color diamonds (all graded by reputable labs: GIA and AGS) -- yes, the E is "icy white," but my H and J look nothing but "white" to my eyes! Some people are very color-sensitive and any slightest hint of warmth might bother them....is your girlfriend one of them? If you don't know, I believe you would still be safe in buying a larger I color diamond, because my guess is that *most* people are not highly color-sensitive, and an I color diamond from Tiffany would be absolutely beautifully white to most people.

As for clarity -- my H/SI1 Ideal cut diamond (AGS graded) has no visible inclusions with the naked eye. Even with my 30X jeweler's loupe under ideal lighting conditions, I cannot see inclusions. You start to get into visible inclusions (to the naked eye) when you go to SI2...and even then, it's very possible to find a SI2 stone without visible inclusions.

If you put a 1-carat I/SI1 stone right next to a 1-carat H/VS2 stone, it would be very, very hard for you to tell the difference between the two, unless you're a diamond connoisseur or a jewelry professional. Given that, I personally think that it'd be nice for your girlfriend to receive a larger I/SI1 stone. If you're not sure, you could gauge her reaction and see if she was hoping for a higher color or clarity diamond. And if so, I am sure you could exchange it (assuming you haven't sized it yet and assuming she'd be OK with having a smaller stone!).

The bottom line is that Tiffany's quality standards are quite high, and it would be surprising to me if she were anything less than thrilled with an I/SI1 stone....so receiving a larger one would be nothing but a BONUS! They are known for their very well-cut (and you know CUT is the most important C!!), fiery diamonds ("scintillation", or dispersion of rainbow sparks), and your girlfriend is going to be mesmerized by that and will be thrilled no matter what!

Last edited: