TODs 101 - need a little help about the basics

jburgh--I just purchased my first Tods too!

I was trying to locate the actual name of the bag and at least for me it wasn't so easy. As with other brands the names on NM and Saks websites are less than accurate. The Tod's website uses very generic names. Thanks to this thread though I've just learned from swan1 below that it is called the new D bag.

tods.jpg

Last edited:
jburgh--I just purchased my first Tods too!

I was trying to locate the actual name of the bag and at least for me it wasn't so easy. As with other brands the names on NM and Saks websites are less than accurate. The Tod's website uses very generic names. Thanks to this thread though I've just learned from swan1 below that it is called the new D bag.

tods.jpg

This is a beautiful one! do you have a picture modelling it? I haven't yet seen it in a store so I have no idea what it looks/feels like!

Here's another question for Tod's lovers. Since it's made in Italy, is it sold cheaper there than anywhere else in the world? Anyone based in europe who'll be able to tell us?

And...I copied sbelle and bought the exact same bag!!! It is the one on the right in the pic. Tan is on the left and it was beautiful too but decided on the grey. The grey irl is fabulous!
DSC00970.jpg

Love the bags!

So tell me, what are the names of the most popular bags? I want to make reference library threads for y'all. So far I have these 13... Is there anything goofed up about them? Do I need any generic threads like Shoppers/Totes, or Satchels? Or is there a specific style name for those?

D-Bag
Restyling D-Bag
G-Bag
Pashmy
T-Bag
Evening Bags
Accessories
Footwear
Peggy
Miky
Shade
Softy
Miscellaneous Bags

One other thing I just thought of, jcoop and sbelle. The bags that you just showed, do not have handle hardware showing. But since you said they were the New D, does that mean they are the Restyling D and I just cannot see the hardware? Hope I am not annoying with my simple questions.

^ There're 3 type of D bags - the original D bag (no hardware), Restyling D (hardware), and the New D (no hardware and also known as D-styling Bauletto).

Love the bags!

So tell me, what are the names of the most popular bags? I want to make reference library threads for y'all. So far I have these 13... Is there anything goofed up about them? Do I need any generic threads like Shoppers/Totes, or Satchels? Or is there a specific style name for those?

D-Bag
Restyling D-Bag
G-Bag
Pashmy
T-Bag
Evening Bags
Accessories
Footwear
Peggy
Miky
Shade
Softy
Miscellaneous Bags

There were some older styles that were quite popular (but no longer in production) from the same era as the Miky like Kate, Charlotte and Bensonville.

^ There're 3 type of D bags - the original D bag (no hardware), Restyling D (hardware), and the New D (no hardware and also known as D-styling Bauletto).

ms piggy - I have a question. I have the very original D-bag - no hardware and one newer one with hardware but I think there is an additional one that didn't have hardware as well. It is not the latest one and was in between the first D-bag (the vachetta one) and the later one with hardware. Is that correct?

ms piggy - I have a question. I have the very original D-bag - no hardware and one newer one with hardware but I think there is an additional one that didn't have hardware as well. It is not the latest one and was in between the first D-bag (the vachetta one) and the later one with hardware. Is that correct?

I think there was a slightly "restyled" one after the very original D-bag before the one with hardware. I think the difference was quite subtle but can't for the light of me remember what exactly. Do you have a pic of the vachetta one?

I think there was a slightly "restyled" one after the very original D-bag before the one with hardware. I think the difference was quite subtle but can't for the light of me remember what exactly. Do you have a pic of the vachetta one?

Would it be beneficial to add that one to the reference library, or should it get lumped in with the original?

I'm swamped right now, but wanted to at least get this thread moving w/some initial comments. The classic TOD'S bag is the D-bag. Some say it was made for and named after Lady Diana, though I've heard dispute about this. TOD'S sometimes modifies the D-bag from season to season. It is made in these sizes: piccola (small), media (medium), and grande (large). It has primarily been produced in leather. Some of the leathers are pebbled, and others have a sheen. TOD'S is known for fine pebbled leather.

Don't have a photo handy of the earlier D-bags, but they have been posted in other threads here. The major difference between the earlier D-bags and the Restyling-D is the hardware. For the Restyling-D, the handles are attached by hardware. The D-bag has been produced in a number of versions, including north-south & east-west. The east-west is the more iconic version. There is also a Rounded-D.

The Pashmy is a specific TOD'S line. Some think the Pashmy is a nylon bag. While the best-known Pashmys are nylon, this bag was also produced in beautiful soft leather. All the Pashmys are light-weight.

One of the most popular TOD'S bags ever has been the G-bag. It is produced in leather and in coated canvas––in media and grande. The coated canvas bags have been produced in a north-south version and an east-west version; however, the east-west in coated canvas has not available in the U.S. boutiques. (The leather east-west G-bag has been available in the U.S.)

Left to right: Restyling D-bag; Rounded D-bag; Pashmy nylon bags, including Shopping grande, and 2 Bauletto grande; G-bag coated canvas grande

The D-bag (the New D-Bag, the first/earlier model) was also made in a "mini" size, which is smaller than the piccola.