Nappy, Kinky and LOVIN" IT

I tried but just couldn't swing it. I give you all much credit because I felt like it takes a lot of TLC to keep your hair natural and healthy. I tried growing my relaxer out for about 7-8 months and it was really hard for me, I ended up going back to a relaxer because I just couldn't grow my hair out and keep it healthy. I felt like I couldn't maintain it properly. I may try it again but I just want to give a big thumbs up to you ladies rockin' the natural styles. Beautiful!!!

I went really extreme when I decided to go natural. I wanted to keep trimming off my ends as my natural hair grew in. This woman who worked at a beauty school was so arrogant and told me that I shouldn't cut anything just let it grow out.

But, as anyone with AA hair knows that when I wash it half my hair would be natural and bushy and the other half would be bone straight. Not a good look.

So I avoided her advice and cut my hair off!! It use to be neck length and I cut it to a pixie cut. That was like 3 years ago and now my all natural hair is past my shoulders! It was a struggle with short hair (burnt myself twice using the flat and curling iron lol) but now that its grown out, I'm ok.

I went really extreme when I decided to go natural. I wanted to keep trimming off my ends as my natural hair grew in. This woman who worked at a beauty school was so arrogant and told me that I shouldn't cut anything just let it grow out.

But, as anyone with AA hair knows that when I wash it half my hair would be natural and bushy and the other half would be bone straight. Not a good look.

So I avoided her advice and cut my hair off!! It use to be neck length and I cut it to a pixie cut. That was like 3 years ago and now my all natural hair is past my shoulders! It was a struggle with short hair (burnt myself twice using the flat and curling iron lol) but now that its grown out, I'm ok.

Same thing I did when I went natural I did the big chop when I had about 4 inches of natural hair then I did twists and wore a frow for a few months. Then I locked it.

I cut all my hair off too. lol it was crazy. My hair was breaking off from the relaxer and coloring and I got fed up. It was just a few inches long when I cut it. I wore cornrows and micro braids until it grew out enough for a cute 'fro. That was 6 years ago! and I have cut my hair and grown it out twice since. My hair is just past my shoulders curly :pout: and right past my bra strap straight.

I tried wigs, braid sets, had braids for a while but I guess the way to do it is just get over it and chop it off. That half and half that Japhson is talking about was the biggest PITA ever.

May I ask what hair products you have found work best for your natural hair and what products you changed when you went natural. When I was attempting this I used Aubrey Organics shampoos and conditioners. I didn't like the shampoos to much but all of the conditioners I tried were fabulous. I still use them.

Out of curiousity do any of you natural ladies have little girls? Do you plan on keeping them natural?

Last edited:
^^^I used the doctor bronners soaps to wash my hair and Daily Defense tender apple conditioner to detangle. I would also use the organic root stimulator aloe shampoo. There were other products i tried too but its been some time so I don't remember them all. I have two girls one is 14 and the other 5 I will never perm their hair.

I love this thread and hope it sticks around. There have been a few others in the past, but they sorta disapper.

I'm a natural. I let my relaxer grow out for a looooooong time before I cut the relaxed ends off in December 2007. My hair is to my waist when it's straight and shrinks more than 50 percent to hit just below my shoulders when curly.

I can't find any recent hair pics, but here's a good look at mine from about a year ago. It settles down a lot better now. It took a while to figure out what works.

Attachments

• Tiss_tPF.JPG
    Tiss_tPF.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 968
I love this thread and hope it sticks around. There have been a few others in the past, but they sorta disapper.

I'm a natural. I let my relaxer grow out for a looooooong time before I cut the relaxed ends off in December 2007. My hair is to my waist when it's straight and shrinks more than 50 percent to hit just below my shoulders when curly.

I can't find any recent hair pics, but here's a good look at mine from about a year ago. It settles down a lot better now. It took a while to figure out what works.

See if my hair would look like that once my relaxer was gone, I would totally go for the amount of time it would take for me to do my hair, but i don't think my hair would turn out like that.

^^ Your hair just looks so lush misstick.

I also use Aubreys I only use the con and not the shampoo.

I really cannot take seriously what some hairdressers say regarding hair. Its so hit and miss the advice, best to find what works for your hair yourself or through friends and family etc.

See if my hair would look like that once my relaxer was gone, I would totally go for the amount of time it would take for me to do my hair, but i don't think my hair would turn out like that.

Thanks, girls!
I was actually very surprised since I hadn't seen it since I was very very young. I had sweet, soft curls as a toddler but it began to become course as I grew older. My mom didn't know how to handle it so she started relaxing it. I always thought it was because I had this huge frizz-ball mess.

I actually went waaay broke a while back and had to cut the relaxer out of my budget. It was all I could do to save it from breaking off at the point where relaxer and natural meet. It was very sensitive. I finally noticed it one day when I got out of the shower and was kinda staring in the mirror trying to figure out what to do with my mop. I was trying to get a good look and I saw that I had curls, not frizz!!! and the length was just past my earlobes. I said "F-This" --literally and outloud, broke out my scissors and chopped off the relaxer (probably 8-10 inches worth) in my sink. I've never looked back.

For close to 25 years I didn't know...It's hard to tell when the natural hair is just a few inches long what kind of texture it will be. I bet your natural hair would be gorgeous.

Regarding the time it takes to do my hair: the detangling part can be a nightmare, but otherwise, I find that I spend less time on my natural hair. I always use product while my hair is soaking wet -- usually put it in while in the shower distribute it through with my Denman brush :love:, squeeze excess water, Denman again and let it air dry.

I got my best hair tips ever by reading this blog.