What is happening to my Ocelot Hailey?

crissy11

O.G.
Jun 23, 2009
Hi ladies - what's happening here? Is the silver from the purse rubbing off onto the leather strap, OR is the strap silver underneath the black and the black is rubbing off (I think it must be the first option though).

I gently tried to remove the silver, but I can't get it off. Of course I didn't want to try anything abrasive for fear of making it worse.

Is this happening to anyone else, and do you think it's a big deal? I ordered it from JAX and paid full price for it cause it wasn't available in Canada so I'm a bit bummed.

If this is as bad as it gets, fine, but I'm worried it could get worse?? I have probably used it no more than 2 weeks in total, but a day here and there, not all at the same time.

Would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

hailey1.JPG

hailey2.JPG

Unfortunately there have been a couple threads about this very same topic. The leather underneath is really black and the silver seems to be painted or sprayed on or applied onto the leather some other way. I saw an Ocelot Claire at the outlet with this very problem and it was marked down as a final sale. You can take it back to Coach, but even if you do replace it with the same bag, it'll still have the same problem I'm sorry to say.

Well I don't even have the option to replace it with the same bag, because the Ocelot Hailey was not for sale in Canada.

I'm going down there Friday night, I'll take it in and see what they have to say. If this was as bad as it gets, I'd just keep it, but if it's possible for it to get worse, that would be bad.

I wonder if they would just let me exchange it for some other Hailey they have in stock. I do love Hailey.

I'm really curious as to what's happening though:
  1. is the actual strap silver and is painted black on top, and the black is peeling off from the silver underneath OR
  2. is the strap black, and the silver metallic from the purse is rubbing off onto the black strap?
If it's #1 I think it's much worse than if it's #2. That's what I'm trying to determine. Does anyone know??

I have this bag as well, and I think its silver underneath black, and the black is rubbing off, mine is on the smaller strap bottom, so no one can see it, i am not to worried about it

It's the outer black flaking off, and it only gets worse, sorry. You can see my picture below of where it happened on mine.

Damage to Ocelot Audrey

Part of the reason I stepped back from Coach was some major quality issues, but I am still here looking around, hoping for the next good quality bag!

So do you think they will bother trying to fix it or will they offer me a store credit or something? I guess I'll call JAX tomorrow since I bought it from them and see what they say. Bummer though. I would be OK with another Hailey, but I think the store stock is not what it used to be.

It's the outer black flaking off, and it only gets worse, sorry. You can see my picture below of where it happened on mine.

Damage to Ocelot Audrey

Part of the reason I stepped back from Coach was some major quality issues, but I am still here looking around, hoping for the next good quality bag!

This is happening to my ocelot Audrey as well. When I brought it in they said that if the problem continues they can give me 40% off my next bag but they cant replace it since its sold out.

It really upset me because this is my favorite bag and now Im scared to carry it :sad:

What they will do is have you send it in for repair to JAX. They will evaluate it and most likely send you a credit letter for retail price. It will take about 4-6 weeks.

I took it into my store, and since I was the third in a row to bring it in, I was issued a full cash refund actually, since they knew it was a big problem. No tags, a couple weeks of wear but the manager knew these bags were peeling like crazy so it was refunded. But that was a Coach store.

My Audrey was my favorite bag ever, I was crushed! I am sorry :sad: I get where you are coming from.

Coach needs to make this bag again with a true black leather, I would be so happy!

Eeek! Wish I had known that before I bought mine!! If you take it into a store, they should replace it for you. This is not your fault, it is a flaw in the way it is made. If you have to send it off for repair, you will at least get a credit letter.