Don't believe the hype . . . .

A bad gift idea would be kitchen stuff (I did however get a pasta maker one year and I loved it)

I think gift certificates or money is great, that way I can go out and buy myself whatever I want, my sisters on the other hand think almost everything (clothes, money, gift certificates, shoes, purses and anything "not fun" is just not fit to be a gift)

omgoodness.. this lady last year bought some glass cleaner that we sell, and asked us to gift wrap it.. i jokingly asked if it was for her maid and she said yes! lol. i'm like.. wtf.. why would her maid WANT glass cleaner for xmas.. that's a retarded gift.. that's like, "here, you dont clean well with your cleaner, i'm giving you this one.. it's better.. now go back to cleaning!"

That's terrible!

Haha . . . Home Depot gift certificate!

I think I read somewhere that guys tend to give you useful gifts because they care about you. (Like, "I love you . . . here's a road emergency kit for your car.") The road emergency kit is great, and you probably need one. But he honestly thought he was doing a good thing by giving that to you. Just cut the poor guy some slack and maybe leave more hints next time.

Okay - here goes for the most horrible gift of all time. I was young and newly married. My ex-husband bought me a ruffled apron with my name embroidered all over the front and a toilet tank and rug set, with shower curtain for the bathroom. Then I had mentioned that I liked several of the Estee Lauder fragrances (Beautiful, Aliage) - but that I absolutely detested White Linen. I got White Linen for Christmas, Valentine's Day and my birthday that year. - he said it stuck in his head and he remembered the name, but not that I hated it. Personally, I think it was passive aggressive. I stayed with him for eight years of socks, flashlights, (and yes, battery chargers), clip on lights for the bed, pots and pans, a blender, and a container for kitchen utensils before I finally left him.

What I am regifting this year: 8lbs of chocolate...out of the 9lbs of assorted chocs that my SO got me as a gag gift (he knows I looooove chocolate - but 9 pounds!!?)

I love gift cards...means I can get myself anything I want. Money seems to be slightly tacky unless it's given by a parent.

Stereotypically bad gift: socks. My feet get cold easily, and I always lose my socks, so it would be cool if someone gave me, for example, cute cashmere ones. If they were in a color I like :smile:

Stereotypically good gift: chocolate. I am allergic. My dad forgets this, and gets me MASSIVE amounts of Christmas candy. They're always really nice ones, and I'm just like "...?"

Not every dad wants a tie. I have gotten so good at picking out ties for my dad. My talent is wasted, as my dad doesn't wear ties. I guess I'll have to wait until I buy my uncle a present.

Cash and gift certificates. Some people say it's impersonal and you shouldn't give that as a gift but I think they are the best gifts because then you are certain to get something you like.

As far as fruitcakes, I personally think they are nasty and if someone gave me a fruitcake for Xmas I'd take a hit out on them.

Everyone looks at me funny when they open their gift and it's toilet paper, but it never fails...one day they'll come up to me and say "Hey, your gift came in real handy last night" And then wink.

To me, that's the mark of a good gift.

Every time I go into either Pharmaplus or Shopper's Drug Mart, I notice more and more Christmas Gift Sets on display. Looking at them, I wonder what type of person would enjoy opening the Gillette gift set on Christmas morning.

Obviously, some people must like them, otherwise they wouldn't be on display every Christmas.

My dad suspects they're there for the people who discovered on the 23rd their sister's boyfriend is spending Christmas with the family and it would be nice if he had a gift to open.

I'm always thinking about this question on the holidays because I'm a knitter. And hand-knit socks get a bad rap, but actually my husband says the socks I've made for him are the best he owns. Whenever I gift a handknit item, I always feel compelled to also gift something else with some kind of cool factor. haha.

Sweaters with Santa Claus or Reindeer,Snowma or all on one sweater:tdown:
Giftcards are cool because, for instance my friends's daughter uses her ipod all the time so i buy her a $25 itunes card.i try really hard to match the gift w/ personality.
DH is getting the IPHONE he is into anything electronic or involving computers.