Brass vs. Gold

pseub

Bonne vivante
O.G.
Oct 24, 2005
I have a BE Couture IB Midi in pebbled cream leather that will be off to the atelier next week. I'm just wondering about the hardware...I'm leaning toward brass as I think it will be less bling-y, but am worried that it will tarnish over time.

Can anyone tell me your experiences with brass hardware and whether it tarnishes? Does the gold look really bright with the cream?

The gold is bright. I have a cream pebbled Be Mine mini and while it's not blingy, it is bright. Personally, i love the look of antiqued brass and recently ordered a grey shimmer TMA midi with brass hardware in the hopes that it will be more muted! My bag is at the atelier now so I'm looking forward to seeing what other people write :smile:

I have been reluctant to try the brass due to reading various peoples postings saying that when they order brass not ALL of the hardware is brass. I know that initially with brass hardware the zipper tracks were still gold. Also, on the recent TMA cream pebbled bespoke that someone posted they ordered brass and mentioned that some of the hardware on their bag was gold too. This is unacceptable to me. If you order brass EVERYTHING should be brass, or BE needs to be better about disclosing that with the brass hardware not every piece of hardware will be brass.

I will always love the gold. It matches my jewelry, and it's bright and joyful. But the brass, soft and subtle, is equally luxurious in my eyes. It gleams like with a whisper rather than a shout. All of my brass hardware matches nicely. I love it with the cream and am now thinking I will love it with petrol. I think the addition of the brass was a wonderful idea.

I've been wondering the same as Pseub. As a matter of fact, I wrote to Rose with questions about this, earlier today! Of course since we're at the weekend now, and next week is the sample sale, I don't know how soon I'll hear back. It's frustrating that the website doesn't show this, and that judging from the rest of the site, even if it did show the brass, it would just be an itty bitty picture. But I assume the website is a work in progress... Wouldn't it be nice to see a *large,* *side-by-side* comparison!

Moonfancy, I just noticed your post. It sounds like you have some BE with brass HW! You described it as "soft and subtle;" would you mind saying a little more? Is the finish polished or brushed? Compared to the gold HW, is one more like 14K in color, and the other more like 18K? Or is it a duller, darker, antiqued look? Can you tell whether the brass will tarnish? :confused1: Answers to any or all of these will be much appreciated! TIA...

Hi Remy,

I have my Old original Tan Matte LM w/ brass hw and just ordered a BEC matte choco LM with brass as well. It's GORGEOUS.

The brass hw has a 'brushed' finish and is incredibly elegant.

As far as discrepancies with mis-matched hw, that was an issue that arose some months ago, was addressed, dealt with, & concluded on a positive note. All is "ok" now!

And as far as tarnishing is concerned, I've never experienced that with any of the hw on my BE bags (although I know that one or 2 ladies here had issues with flaking on the gold hw), and I've had some of my original BE's for 2 1/2 years.

Brass is elegant.....goes PERFECTLY with the cream if you want my opinion (but so does the gold!).

If you want subtle elegance, I suggest the brass. Extra "something", go for the gold!

I'd be more than happy to post some up-close and personal pics of the brass hw on my LM if you like :smile:

Hi Remy,

I have my Old original Tan Matte LM w/ brass hw and just ordered a BEC matte choco LM with brass as well. It's GORGEOUS.

The brass hw has a 'brushed' finish and is incredibly elegant.

As far as discrepancies with mis-matched hw, that was an issue that arose some months ago, was addressed, dealt with, & concluded on a positive note. All is "ok" now!

And as far as tarnishing is concerned, I've never experienced that with any of the hw on my BE bags (although I know that one or 2 ladies here had issues with flaking on the gold hw), and I've had some of my original BE's for 2 1/2 years.

Brass is elegant.....goes PERFECTLY with the cream if you want my opinion (but so does the gold!).

If you want subtle elegance, I suggest the brass. Extra "something", go for the gold!

I'd be more than happy to post some up-close and personal pics of the brass hw on my LM if you like :smile:

Ooh, I'd love to see, Contessa1 :biggrin: Thanks!

I'm getting close to ordering a bespoke MMS, probably in the dark green pebbled, and haven't yet been able to decide on the hardware (silver is also in the running!). Might start a new thread soon and take a poll...

Then why does VanBod say this in her recent TMA midi reveal?:

"My only criticism (and this is minor and in no way detracts from how much I love the bag) is that while the majority of the hardware is brass, the hardware inside the pockets (the bottom of the popper) is gold and so are the poppers inside the bag."

I am not trying to stir the pot, but some people are REALLY sensitive to mis-matched hardware and this would bother some people. Particularly on an $800 bag. I love my BE's. But, until I know that all of the hardware will truly be brass when I order brass, I am sticking with gold.

iluvhandbags - I get where you are coming from.

It looks to me like the brass hardware starts life as gold and then is brushed to look like antique brass. I say this because when you look at the key fob, the outside is brushed but the inside is still shiny gold. I'll take a pic. This doesn't bother me but as you say, this would drive some people nuts. My zipper tracks look gold to me but again, this is on the inside of the bag, I think it would really bug me if this was an MMS where the zipper is on the outside. Ultimately, all the hardware on the outside of the bag was brass (so no mismatched rings) and I was happy with it.

I much prefer the brass to the gold hardware as I find the gold a bit blingy and I don't wear much gold jewellry.

iluvhandbags - I get where you are coming from.

It looks to me like the brass hardware starts life as gold and then is brushed to look like antique brass. I say this because when you look at the key fob, the outside is brushed but the inside is still shiny gold. I'll take a pic. This doesn't bother me but as you say, this would drive some people nuts. My zipper tracks look gold to me but again, this is on the inside of the bag, I think it would really bug me if this was an MMS where the zipper is on the outside. Ultimately, all the hardware on the outside of the bag was brass (so no mismatched rings) and I was happy with it.

I much prefer the brass to the gold hardware as I find the gold a bit blingy and I don't wear much gold jewellry.

I completely understand where people are coming from and the frustrations that might arise to those with sensitivities.

I remember asking Jackie about the gold zippers with the brass zip pulls combo and the gold "poppers" inside the bag & even outside and her response was that it was difficult to find brass or brushed gold zippers to match the pulls and hw.

Take it or leave it, but I'll say this.....no one but the owner really sees the interior of the bag but if it really bothers some, then it needs to be dealt with up front so that there are no surprises later on.

A silver zipper with a gold zipper pull would bother me. But I think I could live with a gold/brass combo inside my bag. Having said that....I'm going to check my Tan LM and see what lurks inside!!!!

Personally, I don't care if inside hardware is gold and what shows is brass. Not a big issue for me, so brass hardware is my final answer. :happydance:

But if anyone is itching to post pictures, please do!

Yes, absolute perfection on the *inside* would be nice, but it's the outside of the bag that's most important to me. (Realistic or shallow? You decide!)

Contessa, VanBod, others: Pix eagerly awaited! :happydance::happydance::happydance: