help me! date my estate purchase: HUGE blue topaz ring

Gibbs2424

O.G.
Mar 18, 2006
Hello ladies, I bought this obnoxiously large ring today at an estate sale at an old folks home. I have no reason to think it is terribly old, but I hope it's at least from the 1940s or so! Also, I hope it's real -- I paid $200 for it, but the money was going to a cause anyway, so it's not a huge deal if it is.

The band itself is yellow gold and it's marked 18k. The rest of the ring is white in color, so I imagine it's white gold. There is some filigree work in the setting, and there is a small diamond (or diamond-like material!) on either side of the HUGE emerald-cut stone, which was purported to be blue topaz. This sucker is enormous, but I have no idea of the size. I'd say it's probably 10 carats or more.

Anyway, I don't know anything about vintage, antique, or estate jewelry, but I've been wanting a blue topaz cocktail ring, and this one seemed to fit the bill. It even fit me perfectly, and I wear a very small ring size (5), so it's rare to find a ring that fits me! If anyone could tell me whether they think it's real, or maybe how old it might be, I'd appreciate it!

Attachments

• CIMG2266.JPG
    CIMG2266.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 283
  • CIMG2280.JPG
    CIMG2280.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 192
  • CIMG2281.JPG
    CIMG2281.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 171
  • CIMG2268.JPG
    CIMG2268.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 142
  • CIMG2278.JPG
    CIMG2278.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 149
Hello ladies, I bought this obnoxiously large ring today at an estate sale at an old folks home. I have no reason to think it is terribly old, but I hope it's at least from the 1940s or so! Also, I hope it's real -- I paid $200 for it, but the money was going to a cause anyway, so it's not a huge deal if it is.

The band itself is yellow gold and it's marked 18k. The rest of the ring is white in color, so I imagine it's white gold. There is some filigree work in the setting, and there is a small diamond (or diamond-like material!) on either side of the HUGE emerald-cut stone, which was purported to be blue topaz. This sucker is enormous, but I have no idea of the size. I'd say it's probably 10 carats or more.

Anyway, I don't know anything about vintage, antique, or estate jewelry, but I've been wanting a blue topaz cocktail ring, and this one seemed to fit the bill. It even fit me perfectly, and I wear a very small ring size (5), so it's rare to find a ring that fits me! If anyone could tell me whether they think it's real, or maybe how old it might be, I'd appreciate it!

Hello ladies and Merry Christmas!

I am very anxious to hear the answer as well - I have a simular ring left to me by my grandmother, but much simplier in setting and the blue stone is larger at 49.91 carats. (yes ... almost 50 carats) It is a beauty! I can't find out much about its history though; any info is greatly apprecited.

Hello ladies and Merry Christmas!

I am very anxious to hear the answer as well - I have a simular ring left to me by my grandmother, but much simplier in setting and the blue stone is larger at 49.91 carats. (yes ... almost 50 carats) It is a beauty! I can't find out much about its history though; any info is greatly apprecited.

here are some pics! by the way ... what is TDF?

Attachments

• ring 011_640x480.jpg
    ring 011_640x480.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 140
  • ring_640x480.jpg
    ring_640x480.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 120
  • ring 007_640x480.jpg
    ring 007_640x480.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 119
  • ring 001_640x480.jpg
    ring 001_640x480.jpg