What to Wear on a 'Lounge' Date

Berge

Oct 28, 2009
i never know what to wear when i'm just lounging around with the boyfriend - and my friends. i need something for those times when you want to look cute, but not "too dressy." in other words sexy but casual? i feel like i've got date clothes and work clothes and too many Juicy's but nothing else. is there nothing in between?
i have nothing that works for:

- lounging/relaxing around the house, hanging out with the guy.
- shopping/lunch/relaxing with girlfriends.
- casual nights (which usually involves me joining him & the guys after the game at a bar) - this is when i want to be casually sexy but not "too" dressy.

can ANYBODY help me?!?! suggestions?? pleeeease!

- lounging/relaxing around the house, hanging out with the guy.
generally if i'm just home with my SO, i'll wear a silk slip (my cozy apartment) or a short silk or velvet dressing gown (his underheated house :P)
attachment.php

- shopping/lunch/relaxing with girlfriends
for shopping, i always try to wear clothes that are versatile for trying-on, which for me usually means thinner boot-cut jeans (easier to remove and put back on than skinnies) and a zip-front hoodie (again, easy to remove without getting makeup & hair all disheveled!). i don't like to wear skirts or dresses for shopping, because then i can't walk out of the dressing room to get a second opinion if i'm only trying on a shirt . . .

for lunch out with girlfriends i'll wear a day dress or skirt & top. for hanging around at someone's home i add leggings or opaque tights underneath so i can lounge around without inadvertently allowing my friends to get to know piggy a little too well, KWIM? :biggrin:
outfit to meet some old friends for lunch last summer in nyc:
attachment.php

- casual nights (which usually involves me joining him & the guys after the game at a bar) - this is when i want to be casually sexy but not "too" dressy.
jeans, leather jacket over a cute camisole, maybe silk or with a bit of a lace or decorative trim . . . i went to a casual bar to meet some friends last wednesday and wore this outfit:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2010 02 17d.jpg
    2010 02 17d.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,389
  • 2010 02 17c.jpg
    2010 02 17c.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 3,190
  • 54 2009.01.13.jpg
    54 2009.01.13.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,819
  • 47 2009.10.08.jpg
    47 2009.10.08.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2,886
When I'm trying to be sexy but not look like I tried, my favorite look is skinny jeans with chunky heeled knee high boots and a sweater with a deep V neck in a slouchy cut/fabric like merino wool or ultrafine cashmere.

It's definitely tricky doing the 'relaxed' sexy thing. You can tone things down a little with pieces like:

- flattering jeans, flats/boots with low heel and a sweater/tee shirt; loose hair, minimal makeup
- little cotton dresses with flats; same hair/makeup as above
- at home with your partner, nice flattering good quality robes/chemises/sweats depending on your personal preference.

Something to remember is that while you may be hanging out with him and his mates, you are not his mate - you're his partner, girlfriend, wife. You don't have to fit in with them, they meet different needs of your SO than you do. They might be wearing rugby shorts and singlets/wifebeaters - you certainly don't have to. You're a girl - wear a dress if you want to. Go to the game wearing a cashmere sweater if that's your style. Maintain your personal style and don't feel pressured to dress down just because you're out with the boys/friends. It really is better to be more dressed than less dressed.

When I'm trying to be sexy but not look like I tried, my favorite look is skinny jeans with chunky heeled knee high boots and a sweater with a deep V neck in a slouchy cut/fabric like merino wool or ultrafine cashmere.

elle tee - this outfit sounds great!! i really think i need to shop my closet and get a few new sexy basics.

It's definitely tricky doing the 'relaxed' sexy thing. You can tone things down a little with pieces like:

- flattering jeans, flats/boots with low heel and a sweater/tee shirt; loose hair, minimal makeup
- little cotton dresses with flats; same hair/makeup as above
- at home with your partner, nice flattering good quality robes/chemises/sweats depending on your personal preference.

Something to remember is that while you may be hanging out with him and his mates, you are not his mate - you're his partner, girlfriend, wife. You don't have to fit in with them, they meet different needs of your SO than you do. They might be wearing rugby shorts and singlets/wifebeaters - you certainly don't have to. You're a girl - wear a dress if you want to. Go to the game wearing a cashmere sweater if that's your style. Maintain your personal style and don't feel pressured to dress down just because you're out with the boys/friends. It really is better to be more dressed than less dressed.

Thanks for the above suggestions, Bitten. Those are great ideas for when we're at home watching SportsCenter for the 3rd time in a row.

And you make a good point, i don't need to "tomboy" it up around the guys. If i'm overdressed, so be it. He's made a point of it once before and I think it made me self-conscious. He's that "simple small town guy who moved to the big city" with his big career. He loves me in velour tracksuits or jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt, so I have a tendency to feel overdressed in anything but that. BUT, i forget how much he loves it when I'm in a dress. I'll keep what you said in mind!

elle tee - this outfit sounds great!! i really think i need to shop my closet and get a few new sexy basics.

Thanks for the above suggestions, Bitten. Those are great ideas for when we're at home watching SportsCenter for the 3rd time in a row.

And you make a good point, i don't need to "tomboy" it up around the guys. If i'm overdressed, so be it. He's made a point of it once before and I think it made me self-conscious. He's that "simple small town guy who moved to the big city" with his big career. He loves me in velour tracksuits or jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt, so I have a tendency to feel overdressed in anything but that. BUT, i forget how much he loves it when I'm in a dress. I'll keep what you said in mind!

This is part of what can be so frustrating with guys - they say they love a relaxed girl, but then when a girl walks into the room wearing a gorgeous dress, suddenly guys all want that! It took me a long time to decide for myself that I would dress how I want with my partner, not like a girl-dressing-like-a-boy to make his mates feel more comfortable.