What do you think about SO KELLY?

zjajkj

O.G.
Aug 17, 2008
Hi lovely ladies,

I am usually at the Chanel forum and am entering into the very dark (& expensive :P) side of Orange. Would like to hear opinions of the SO Kelly?

Have research abit on the main thread and the Clubhouse thread on SO Kelly, have read about the poking of the opening closure part.

Background story: I am still very young, shouldn't have own any Chanels at all, but really save and work extremely hard during holidays to own my current very tiny collection of it. Basically I will have to sell my very heavy Chanels like the x and a x to fund my SO Kelly. Should I should I?

I am going to sell them anyway as I couldn't get much use outta them.
However, if I should not fund it for SO Kelly (which entitles me with only one bag), I can fund several smaller lighter chanel bag (Mini Flap, East West flap etc) which I can carry effortlessly.

Love Chanel but the weight such as the jumbo are killing me as I am really tiny.:graucho:

I wish to own a Hermes too.. Am recently very into the likings of SO Kelly (wonder why I only started to admire it till now)

My questions are:
Is the poking pain? Nah just kidding but does it really hinder the carrying part? As in really uncomfy under the arm as it poke the arm?

Is the SO Kelly heavy? As compared to the Chanel Jumbo?

Is the SO Kelly readily available in Hermes Stores? (Should I get it from HK or SG or US? Where is cheaper?)

Easy to get in and out?

Easy for stealing? Okay I am really paranoid. Singapore is such a 'safe' place to reside in.

Should I just get this one Hermes SO Kelly at the expense of owning other smaller Chanel bags? Is it worth it?

Should I get size 22 or 26? Technically speaking, I am more into 22, as I do not think I can carry off a 26 as it looks real deep.

I would love to see some modelling pics from our lovely Hermes ladies here.

Thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
I, like you, cannot carry the larger purses but for me the reason is spine problems, so my collection ranges from one woc, which doesn't get a lot of use; east west is light as a feather and so easy to carry as is the 225 reissue. The largest Chanel is the collection is the 226 reissue.

Although I don't own a SO Kelly, it might be a hassle finding what you want without doing the grab and hope you got it -- and that would be due to the north/south design. If luck is with you, the store will have one or bring one in for you to try.

the so kelly is so not to my liking, i hate it i think its a bad excuse for a marwari that has been finished with out the barenia, and was only given the kelly clasp because of a bad creativity crisis in the H headquarters this is my view on this bag and i dont feel it reflects the kelly at all but this happened to me with the jypsiere i thought it was a birkin as shoulder bag but the kelly can actually go on the shoulder well any way i dont want to sound mean but i hate it !!!!!!!

Hi, I owned a 26 cm So Kelly in togo skin. I don't use a wallet; I store $20[ and above ] bills in the pocket of my cameleon [purse organizer]. So it's bit hassle to retrieve a $20 bill since So Kelly is a little deep that I have to dig my hand into the cameleon, open the pocket [velco attached]. But other than this, I find no problem at all ... I like the style, it's casual chic. I also think its rectangle shape is better for a petite frame [I'm 5'3]. Not many people carry it so it's pretty under the radar, which is another factor attracts me. As for weight, even though it's less than 2 pounds, my shoulder will start feeling heavy after an hour; but then I just hook it on my elbow.

Wonder if you ever look into Lindy, another my favorite style H handbag.

My questions are:
Is the poking pain? Nah just kidding but does it really hinder the carrying part? As in really uncomfy under the arm as it poke the arm?

IIRC, the strap is adjustable. So it does not fall directly under your arm, unless you are extremely petite.

Is the SO Kelly heavy? As compared to the Chanel Jumbo?

In my experience with H leathers vs Chanel leathers, all sorts of H is heavier than Chanel. I sometimes prefer my Chanels because they are much lighter even when fully stuffed.

Is the SO Kelly readily available in Hermes Stores? (Should I get it from HK or SG or US? Where is cheaper?)

I have not seen the So Kelly on SG shelves. Price-wise, US < SG < HK.

Easy to get in and out?

Depends on whether you strap the turnlock.

Easy for stealing? Okay I am really paranoid. Singapore is such a 'safe' place to reside in.

As above.

Should I just get this one Hermes SO Kelly at the expense of owning other smaller Chanel bags? Is it worth it?

If the SO fills a current void in your collection, yes. If not, no.

SO Kelly price for the 26/30cm(?) (larger sized SO kelly) is 8919SG$ at Changi...so just add the 7% to that price. And...according to my SA, the price of bags has not increased yet..so better move fast!

I tried the SO kelly, and I think its a very good tote bag. If you have the evelyne strap you could even attach it to the SO kelly to make it as a messenger bag (I have no idea how the ladies here make their SO kelly messenger style with the SO kelly's strap itself). It is relatively easy to get in and out; the internal compartments are very useful. I don't think its easy for people to steal from you.

SO Kelly price for the 26/30cm(?) (larger sized SO kelly) is 8919SG$ at Changi...so just add the 7% to that price. And...according to my SA, the price of bags has not increased yet..so better move fast!

I tried the SO kelly, and I think its a very good tote bag. If you have the evelyne strap you could even attach it to the SO kelly to make it as a messenger bag (I have no idea how the ladies here make their SO kelly messenger style with the SO kelly's strap itself). It is relatively easy to get in and out; the internal compartments are very useful. I don't think its easy for people to steal from you.

You can undo the strap altogether and do it up again in one single loop (SO Kelly strap come done up in double loop)........ then the strap will be long enough to do it massenger style for a fairly petite person.........:P

You should go and try one on. Or do a search first - a lot of wonderful modeling pics here already.

I was at DFS H today and they had a GORGEOUS orange togo SO kelly 22 and I had a chance to try it on.
My SA said it was not meant to be a messenger bag as maybe the strap was not designed to take too much weight but you could use an evelyne strap. Maybe someone who owns one can chip in about this.

I love how it looks and the whole aesthetic of it - not too bulky. Does not stick out and looks great when carried.
Saying that, I think I would have issues as I have to take it off the shoulder to get to things at the bottom of the bag.
If you leave the buckles open, it changes the slim look of it but if you leave it closed, again hard to get things out and in.
Togo is def lighter than clemence.
Whether it is "worth it" is a personal thing. You have to love the bag and not just because it is Hermes. Price is SGD$8800 for the 22 togo
Good luck.
You really should go and try it on.

Congradulation on your first H !!! Very good choice. It suits you very nice. Seeing your reveal, I would think Evelyne will be a nice choice for your next H [just my thought] .

Hi annelovepuggy, Thanks so much for your lovely input. Is evelyn the one with a big H in front? I am not very lovey the style currently. Mayb maybe one day I would like it.. Thanks babe!! :biggrin:

You should go and try one on. Or do a search first - a lot of wonderful modeling pics here already.

I was at DFS H today and they had a GORGEOUS orange togo SO kelly 22 and I had a chance to try it on.
My SA said it was not meant to be a messenger bag as maybe the strap was not designed to take too much weight but you could use an evelyne strap. Maybe someone who owns one can chip in about this.

I love how it looks and the whole aesthetic of it - not too bulky. Does not stick out and looks great when carried.
Saying that, I think I would have issues as I have to take it off the shoulder to get to things at the bottom of the bag.
If you leave the buckles open, it changes the slim look of it but if you leave it closed, again hard to get things out and in.
Togo is def lighter than clemence.
Whether it is "worth it" is a personal thing. You have to love the bag and not just because it is Hermes. Price is SGD$8800 for the 22 togo
Good luck.
You really should go and try it on.

Thanks bagmad!! Woah $8800 although expected the price, but still is a WOAH when hearing it. LOL.

Hi annelovepuggy, Thanks so much for your lovely input. Is evelyn the one with a big H in front? I am not very lovey the style currently. Mayb maybe one day I would like it.. Thanks babe!! :biggrin:

Hi dinitegrity! The one you referred to is Constance. You can check out the Evelyne bags at the official Hermes website. Size GM costs USD2800, PM $2500. I think annelovepuggy's suggestion is great - from your model pics it really looks like Evelyne will look great on you!:yahoo:

However, if I should not fund it for SO Kelly (which entitles me with only one bag), I can fund several smaller lighter chanel bag (Mini Flap, East West flap etc) which I can carry effortlessly.

Should I get size 22 or 26? Technically speaking, I am more into 22, as I do not think I can carry off a 26 as it looks real deep.

:yes:

dinitegrity, imho, Chanel Jumbo phase is out. There used to be the craze in owning them but now, removing the craze-aside, it's utterly heavy w/chain straps and flashy.

The SO Kelly is a nice replacement, have the aspects of a comfy shoulder bag and appropriate for work/casual/shopping. I do observe many turn heads when seen w/SO Kelly or Shoulder Ks/SBs. Every girl aspires to own a Chanel jumbo, few aspire to own a SO Kelly. For this reason alone, it's relieving.

Last edited: