How long do you expect a Caviar Flap Bag to hold up?

asin

as in asian
Mar 11, 2008
I just bought a caviar jumbo flap and I feel a bit guilty about spending 3k on a bag. I grew up in a poor family and have only started making money in the last few years, so a part of me feel like I should value money more and not buy a bag that costs almost as much as some people's cars. My family and some old friends thinks that even spending $200 on a Coach purse is extravagant, so I can't help but think of my past and feel materialistic and guilty about my recent purchase.

Anyway, onto my question: how long do you expect a caviar flap bag to hold up? I justified my purchase because I love handbags and I know this bag is a classic that retains its value well. I expect to wear this bag a lot for a while, but I'm just curious as to how much it can be used before it breaks down. It'd be really cool if this is a bag that I can still wear 10 or 20 years from now, and it's still in good condition and looks great. Then, i would consider this a good investment.

As long as you don't throw it around (doesn't sound like you would :smile:), a caviar flap can easily last you decades. Hell, I expect mine to last me a lifetime (I just thought it would be dramatic to say it should last you forever... but really, that's what I expect)! :nuts: I try to rotate bags frequently and am very careful when using them. Also, if you find your flap needs a little refurbishment down the road (redying, touching up the corners, etc. etc.), you can always send it off for repairs via the boutique.

OP, a premium-designer bags (Chanel) usually hold for a long time. That's one of the reasons why they are costly. I got my first Chanel bag for more than a decade and it still looks fabulous. But again, the durability of a bag also depends on how the owner takes care her bag.

Some of the vintage bags look like new although they have been around for more than 10years. So they have stood the test of time if you ask me. However, some of the flaps these days cannot even survive a year without giving problems like loose stitches, glue becoming undone etc..

Definitely will take good care of this bag! Do you have any tips for care? I probably worry the most about the strap breaking or glue coming undone. I read that this is an issue with the newer flaps that no longer have stitched straps

Some of the vintage bags look like new although they have been around for more than 10years. So they have stood the test of time if you ask me.

ITA. As long as you don't throw your bag around, you shouldn't run into problems. I don't baby my caviar bags at all but they still look as new as the day I bought them. With regards to loose stitches and glue being undone, I've only experienced that personally once out of the 2834737824 times I've purchased Chanel. I did an exchange and all was well. In any case, if your bag needs any refurbishment, you can always send it back to Chanel and for $265 they will give it a spa, fix the hardware, loose threads, etc.

:nuts:

ITA. As long as you don't throw your bag around, you shouldn't run into problems. I don't baby my caviar bags at all but they still look as new as the day I bought them. With regards to loose stitches and glue being undone, I've only experienced that personally once out of the 2834737824 times I've purchased Chanel. I did an exchange and all was well. In any case, if your bag needs any refurbishment, you can always send it back to Chanel and for $265 they will give it a spa, fix the hardware, loose threads, etc.

I have one that's gotta be at least 10 years old.. looks brand new.. I don't treat it or baby it..and I got caught in a downpour once and nothing.. still looks like the day I bought it.

I own a vintage M/L flap from 1982 and its in mint condition ! Really.

What you just bought is THE classic, iconic bag, in 30 years from now, you'll still wear it.

And if you are not convinced, do the math: 200$ a year for a Coach (and 200$ is a really conservative price) X 30 years = 6 000$.

Yours will increase value... the Coach, not so much, I would think.

All this to say, ENJOY ! And post some pics of you and your baby in action ;)

ITA. As long as you don't throw your bag around, you shouldn't run into problems. I don't baby my caviar bags at all but they still look as new as the day I bought them. With regards to loose stitches and glue being undone, I've only experienced that personally once out of the 2834737824 times I've purchased Chanel. I did an exchange and all was well.In any case, if your bag needs any refurbishment, you can always send it back to Chanel and for $265 they will give it a spa, fix the hardware, loose threads, etc.

What do you mean by fix the hardware? Do they replace the tarnished chains/snaps/CC logos?

Wow! That's a lot of Chanels.