kelly rigide vs souple

diana

shopaholic
O.G.
Mar 15, 2006
i was wondering what the difference is? I know rigide means stiff and souple means soft, but can you get all the leathers available in rigide or souple? thanks!

Why do some of you prefer rigide over souple or vice versa. Is it because some leather complements one stitching type over the other? For example, a togo kelly will probably look better is souple? I ordered a Chevre kelly and my SA was very adamant that I get it in rigide.

happy1, it just has to do with what you want the bag to do and be. I want both - a black box smaller, dainty Kelly 28 rigide for dressier events or evenings and a soft, souple Kelly 32 in a bright color in chevre for day time and a more casual look. My friend has a brown souple Chevre K 32 and it's TDF! Chevre is great in rigide, too, but I love the Coromandel Souple Chevre in the K 32.

happy1 said:
Why do some of you prefer rigide over souple or vice versa. Is it because some leather complements one stitching type over the other? For example, a togo kelly will probably look better is souple? I ordered a Chevre kelly and my SA was very adamant that I get it in rigide.
Hi Happy, I'm a HUGE fan of souple Kellys as I find that they have a more casual & "relaxed elegance" look, which is the look that I'm after. Souple Kellys are also trendier & edgier, & look more like a handbag IMO. I have two 32cm Kelly..both are souple. One is in chevre and the other is clemence. Love them very much! :love:

Rigid Kellys are beautiful too but I find them more formal looking...especially in a 32cm/35cm, it has sort of a "briefcase" look, which is not what I want.

Btw, don't let my opinions affect you too much. It would be good if you can pop by the store & ask to try out souple & rigid Kellys. Consider what you like & buy the Kelly style that you will love, work for you & your lifestyle! :smile:

I agree with Gigi, I prefer the souple, rigid is too lady-ish and formal for the way I dress. The souple looks great with jeans and T-shirt.
Both my K are 32 souple, one is black box calf and the other is Courchevel gold ,I really love them:love: :love:

I prefer the rigid ... I guess because when I tried the souple it looked big on me. I have a chevre and I think it looks good in rigid.
Help! I'm trying to decide between a 35cm black kelly in rigide or the souple. So far all my Kelly's are 32cm in souple. I now want to go larger but am wondering if the souple in the 35cm will end up looking too saggy and sloppy. Any thoughts?
Thank you!!!

Help! I'm trying to decide between a 35cm black kelly in rigide or the souple. So far all my Kelly's are 32cm in souple. I now want to go larger but am wondering if the souple in the 35cm will end up looking too saggy and sloppy. Any thoughts?
Thank you!!!

Thank you!!!

rigide/sellier style looks bigger but hold less than the souple/retourne style in the same sizes because of the construction of the bag..a sellier in 35 may look like a briefcase on someone who is petite. ...i think it really is a matter of preference in terms of how it looks on you!! if you don't like slouchy but prefer retourne/souple then perhaps pick epsom or box leather over swift or clemence leather which tends to be slouchy.

Thank you!!!
If you aren’t quite tall, the 35 black rigide may not look right on you.
When I saw one (in black box), I thought, "doctor’s bag!”

I do have a 35 miel (croc) rigide and IMHO it works for me (although I’m barely 5’5”), and i do love 35 souple which may work in black, but a 35 black rigide... not for me, at least.

Don’t worry about sagging with souple, it’s still a constructed bag. (Exception: mou, kelly flat). Well you must know that from your 32s. Is it a leather such as clemence or swift that you’re concerned will slouch?

Yes, all leathers come in both styles.
Go to the top two threads with stickies here for all kinds of Kelly info. and pictures! :smile:

If you aren’t quite tall, the 35 black rigide may not look right on you.
When I saw one (in black box), I thought, "doctor’s bag!”

I do have a 35 miel (croc) rigide and IMHO it works for me (although I’m barely 5’5”), and i do love 35 souple which may work in black, but a 35 black rigide... not for me, at least.

Don’t worry about sagging with souple, it’s still a constructed bag. (Exception: mou, kelly flat). Well you must know that from your 32s. Is it a leather such as clemence or swift that you’re concerned will slouch?

This helps a lot-thank you. I'm 5' 1", and love big bags--but there's a limit.

I think a Kelly 35 is better in souple. Rigide Kellys are beautiful but you can really feel the corners, and the larger the bag the more you would feel them. To my eye, rigide kellys are most beautiful in size 32. In a 35, they can look a bit too much like a stiff briefcase. It all depends on your height and proportions. Some people can carry it off. I know that for me, if I use a 35 at all it would have to be souple.

Thank you!!!