What Do YOU Call It?

twiggers

O.G.
May 7, 2006
So I've moved around from Canada to California to Indiana...and everyone calls things different names.
So tell us what you call something and the next poster has to say what they call it and add something new.

In Canada: Serviettes In US: Napkins

I call sprite, coke, pepsi, etc. pop

OT: I had no idea that the Canadians called a napkin serviette. Serviette is french for napkin, so I guess it originated from Québec. Cool!

As a Canadian, I think napkin sounds so... sanitary. Kwim?

Purplekitty - I call it pop too... I thought Americans called it "soda"? Here, soda = soda water.

The place where you go to pee: I call it a WASHROOM.

Where I'm at now (IN) most people call coke, pepsi, etc. soda.
I have family that lives near the Illinois border, near Munster, Highland, IN area, and they always call it pop, I guess it's because of the closeness to Chicago...Notre Dame is a beautiful school, btw!
Sorry for getting OT.:shame:

I call them all by their given names.

I don't know if it's an East Coast thing but a lot of people around here call pasta souce gravy.

My family always said gravy, we're not on the E.Coast though, I always wondered if it was an Italian American thing but wasn't sure.

And I'm in Chicago and i don't say pop! But yeah, most people definitely do!

OMG Whistler...I use washroom ALL the time....I get horrible looks at restaurants in the US!

Whistler: Soda vs. Pop depends on your region in the US. Ohio calls it pop, Illinois (near St. Louis) it is soda, and California it was soda.

Statfan: How cool....I've never heard of that!

Another one: In Canada: Chesterfield (was popular when I was a little kid...I don't think so now) In USA: Sofa

I have family that lives near the Illinois border, near Munster, Highland, IN area, and they always call it pop, I guess it's because of the closeness to Chicago...Notre Dame is a beautiful school, btw!
Sorry for getting OT.:shame:

ND is beautiful! Most people here call it soda though.....how cool is that! Even within a state it is different!