how can i get rid of flakes (from dandruff)

blah956

Aug 16, 2009
I've been treating my hair/scalp with various dandruff products since november. Since January, the itching has stopped for the most part but I STILL get flakes.

I just noticed today as I was combing my hair that rather than having small specks, they are varying in size from small to huge chunks.

I use H&S shampoo and dry scalp H&S conditioner. I don't wash every day but every other day to every two days so i don't dry out my scalp.

any suggestions to get rid of the flakes? or maybe some other product that could possibly help?

eta: i wanted to add that the flakes and most of the itching i had was on the top of my scalp where the part is in my hair. i don't have any other noticeable flakes on my scalp/hair

Last edited:
i used to have a major problem with this- i started using Neutrogena T-Gel original everytime I washed my hair- and it eventually just went away
i've heard of people using Castor oil as well- i think you warm it up a little massage it into your scalp and leave it on there for a bit in a shower cap- she did this a few times at night for a week and it went away completely...something in it can disrupt the cycle of dandruff...
hope this helps

Similar to the castor oil suggestion above, I recommend using coconut oil. This stuff is a Godsend and it's cheap!

I put a few drops on my fingertips and rub into the scalp. It helped me immensely when I had dandruff. I don't have it anymore now that I'm on the no-poo cleaning method.

^ I second Coconut oil!

Also,

This might sound really gross but it can help.

with a comb, part your hair down the middle and gently "scrub" the comb against your scalp. Continue parting your hair anywhere you see flakes on your scalp. Please Note: that flakes will be flying so watch out. Then wash as usual.

The problem that you might be having is that the dandruff "cakes" on your scalp and thats why the shampoos cannot remove all of it. So the comb and your "scrubbing" will break it from your scalp.

I really hope this makes sense.

i use seltson blue (not sure if that's spelled correctly). i've found that the "medicated" version works the best. sometimes my scalp will get really try, i'll use seltson blue a few times during the week for a couple of weeks and then good as new!

does the coconut oil have a strong scent? would moroccan oil do the same thing?

paul mitchell tea tree special shampoo has great reviews and has helped a lot of people with dandruff. i use it and it definitely helps me.

Nothing works as good (for me) as Neutrogena T-Gel. I'll get their regular dandruff shampoo for routine maintenance but when it gets really bad, I put some of the T-Gel stuff on and it disappears like that. Unfortunately it smells awful, so I smother it with fruity shampoo afterwards, but it does really help quickly!

Nothing works as good (for me) as Neutrogena T-Gel. I'll get their regular dandruff shampoo for routine maintenance but when it gets really bad, I put some of the T-Gel stuff on and it disappears like that. Unfortunately it smells awful, so I smother it with fruity shampoo afterwards, but it does really help quickly!

Another fan of T-gel. It's the only thing that really works for me.

The smell may not be as pleasant but incorporating this into your life will definitely clear it up. At least it did for me. That reminds me, I have to pick some up.

Now note that there is the dark kind in a see through bottle and a blue and silver bottle one. The blue and silver bottle is for everyday and smells nice but I don't think it works as well. I've been using it everyday but I itch now and then whereas I use the dark (coffee colored maybe?) stuff and it works like magic.