Is this fishy?

maebymarni

May 29, 2009
So, my friend and I make mirror masks that look similar to the one Lady Gaga wears, and we've sold a few on ebay. Someone recently asked us to make them one, and is willing to pay our asking price. However, I noticed that they have recently purchased tiles that look like the ones we use to make the mask. I know there are legitimate reasons one might want to do this, but is it possible that its something less than legitimate? Or should I just not waste my time worrying?

So, my friend and I make mirror masks that look similar to the one Lady Gaga wears, and we've sold a few on ebay. Someone recently asked us to make them one, and is willing to pay our asking price. However, I noticed that they have recently purchased tiles that look like the ones we use to make the mask. I know there are legitimate reasons one might want to do this, but is it possible that its something less than legitimate? Or should I just not waste my time worrying?
Yes they are probably going to copy it, but what can you do? Unless you have a patent or something? Competition is a b**ch;)

Yes they are probably going to copy it, but what can you do? Unless you have a patent or something? Competition is a b**ch;)

Haha, I'm cool with copying, as I'm confident with my skillz. I just don't want them to find a new and fun way to scam me. (For example, ask for a return and send back their own handiwork instead of mine)

Can you put your signature or mark them a certain way so you know it's yours? I'm sure you'll know the difference, but if they try to return theirs after buying yours, you'll have proof.

Haha, I'm cool with copying, as I'm confident with my skillz. I just don't want them to find a new and fun way to scam me. (For example, ask for a return and send back their own handiwork instead of mine)

What would the point of that be? I could see this situation being beneficial the the buyer if they maybe swapped out a designer handbag for a fake one, but what would they stand to gain by buying your mask, spending x amount of time to reproduce it, and then sending theirs to you in place of the original? I really don't get what point you're trying to make here..?

What would the point of that be? I could see this situation being beneficial the the buyer if they maybe swapped out a designer handbag for a fake one, but what would they stand to gain by buying your mask, spending x amount of time to reproduce it, and then sending theirs to you in place of the original? I really don't get what point you're trying to make here..?

I'm not sure I follow your question, as there is no point I'm trying to make. I'm trying to find out if other people think there's anything to be worried about. Plus, MarneeB offered a pretty good suggestion.

And yes, it does seem like an awful lot of effort, but I sell my mask for more than it costs to produce (otherwise, I wouldn't do it, duh). If they managed to pull a bait and switch, it would save them around $30-40. Sure, that's not a lot of money, but it might be worth it to someone. Especially as they'd have a model off of which to make a new mask. Further, they could resell mine on ebay, for another profit of $30-40.

I'm just trying to protect my hard work by being extra careful- that's the point.

I'm not sure I follow your question, as there is no point I'm trying to make. I'm trying to find out if other people think there's anything to be worried about. Plus, MarneeB offered a pretty good suggestion.

And yes, it does seem like an awful lot of effort, but I sell my mask for more than it costs to produce (otherwise, I wouldn't do it, duh). If they managed to pull a bait and switch, it would save them around $30-40. Sure, that's not a lot of money, but it might be worth it to someone. Especially as they'd have a model off of which to make a new mask. Further, they could resell mine on ebay, for another profit of $30-40.

I'm just trying to protect my hard work by being extra careful- that's the point.

honestly OP, that is a lot of effort and I don't think that it would be worth it to the buyer to reproduce your mask only to return the one that they made to you. I think its more likely that the person is trying to reproduce your mask or maybe she only wants to make similar ones for a event or something...there are tons of possibilities.

Another possiblity is that the buyer bought the tiles intending to make her own mask (having seen yours, perhaps?) and then never got around to it (or did, but it didn't look right!) and just decided to buy yours instead. :biggrin:

^ LOL! Yes, same here (I'm ashamed to say!)! :lol:

I'm getting a bit older and (hopefully!) wiser, now - but it's certainly the sort of thing I might have done in the past! :biggrin: