Outfit advice

styloboy

O.G.
May 13, 2008
In a few weeks I have a application interview for college and I am torn as what to wear. I have been creating an outfit for a few weeks and it consists of mostly designer items and I have added how much the total outfit and jewelry would be and I came to a shocking €7050 now how good a outfit may look I think even if my interviewer is not familiar with high end brand will notice I wearing such an expensive outfit. Now the outfit would consist out off:
- Louis Vuitton messenger bag
- Hugo Boss jeans
- Breil watch
- Cartier bracelet
- 2 layered Tiffany necklaces
- Burberry Shirt
- Burbery shoes
- Louis Vuitton belt

Now the easy thing would be to just cut the jewelry and use cheaper clothes and accesoiries. However even if I use my cheapest accesoiries and clothes I come to a total off €1300 without a watch or any kind of jewelry.

Now I am torn between buying new accesoiries and cheaper clothes while not getting the wow result I have with the expensive outfit. Or wearing the expensive outfit, however I am afraid that I might make the impression that I have a superior attitude.

If you were in the same situation as me what would you do?

I think you can wear very expensive clothes and be very understated so that the logos are not what greet the interviewer. Since we can't see the actual pieces you plan to wear, I can only suggest that you examine if your ensemble is "logo-heavy". Am I making sense? For example, the jeans and shoes are probably discreet enough, including the watch. I might forgo the bracelet and the necklaces (but that's just me). Is the Burberry shirt the nova check style and is the LV belt the monogram style? The last two are what would probably take you over the top if you're trying to be discreet (and if I'm thinking of the right items).

I don't think you need to buy cheaper accessories if you won't use them again. Just tweak what you already have. I'm sure you'll make it work.

More importantly, much luck on the interview!!!!!

I think you can wear very expensive clothes and be very understated so that the logos are not what greet the interviewer. Since we can't see the actual pieces you plan to wear, I can only suggest that you examine if your ensemble is "logo-heavy". Am I making sense? For example, the jeans and shoes are probably discreet enough, including the watch. I might forgo the bracelet and the necklaces (but that's just me). Is the Burberry shirt the nova check style and is the LV belt the monogram style? The last two are what would probably take you over the top if you're trying to be discreet (and if I'm thinking of the right items).

I don't think you need to buy cheaper accessories if you won't use them again. Just tweak what you already have. I'm sure you'll make it work.

More importantly, much luck on the interview!!!!!

Well I was thinking about either of these 2 shirts:
http://www.burberry.eu/fcp/product/...09940?colour=king fisher&lastcategoryurl=true
http://www.burberry.eu/fcp/product/...k/10000008689?colour=red&lastcategoryurl=true

And the belt would be the monogram watercolor so that might be a tad too much, and I might just pick up a cheap belt, even if I will wear it just once.

I think those shirts are fine. They don't scream Burberry. I agree that I would probably opt for another belt since the monograms are always so noticeable (and, since you'll already have your LV messenger bag).

I think those shirts are fine. They don't scream Burberry. I agree that I would probably opt for another belt since the monograms are always so noticeable (and, since you'll already have your LV messenger bag).

Well the messenger is Damier, I chose it on purpose. :P. But I might just buy a simple white or brown belt. Together with the blue shirt which I just love.

as long as there's no logos jumping out, you don't have anything to worry about. a lot of people don't even recognize designer pieces. it's more important to look clean and well put together than what brand the clothes are. as for the monogram belt, i think you should pass on that and get a more subtle classic belt. im not sure how college interviews work where you are, but in the US, depending on the school, some prefer business casual attire while others are more laid back. good luck on the interview.

Last edited:
as long as there's no logos jumping out, you don't have anything to worry about. a lot of people don't even recognize designer pieces. it's more important to look clean and well put together than what brand the clothes are. as for the monogram belt, i think you should pass on that and get a more subtle classic belt. im not sure how college interviews work where you are, but in the US, depending on the school, some prefer business casual attire while others are more laid back. good luck on the interview.

ITA :goodpost:and great advice.

Don't forget too to dress in what you feel comfortable in too. It won't help the actual interview if you're dressed in 'someone else's' clothes KWIM

Maybe things are more casual where you are at, but in the US you should wear a conservative suit to any interview for college/grad school/professional job. This is not the time to be making fashion statements. I would not even bring obvious designer items to an interview, let alone buy them especially for it!

I just went through the job interview trail and did grad school interviews a few years ago. Everybody wears suits in black, navy, or grey. Guys always had ties on. People usually brought black leather portfolios/briefcases or girls had conservative black purses. Nobody wears big jewelry. I never wear studs or tiny necklaces, but I did for my interviews. When I did grad school interviews I didn't know about all of this, I just thought any blazer was acceptable so I wore black pants and a bright purple wool blazer/winter coat b/c it was really cold. I actually got a lot of compliments on it and was accepted at that school, but it could have easily gone the other way. Better to go safe for interviews than take a risk. You want to be remembered for your application, personality, and what you bring to the table, not what you are wearing.

Yes, not sure about your customs but in the US interviewees sould dress more formally. For undergrad (ivy league), business casual is fine no need for a blazer since these are generally informal, but I would avoid jeans. But for grad school, a suit would be preferable. Everyone I saw at my school who were coming for MBA interviews were dressed in suits.

If this is an interview for a U.S. school, I think you've missed the mark. Also: is this undergraduate or graduate?

Either way, no jeans. Chinos or dress pants/skirts, at a minimum. For a graduate program in business, wear a suit.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but wearing $10,000 (or thereabouts) worth of stuff does not necessarily create a good impression. And it certainly doesn't overcome the fact that you want to wear jeans.

And lastly, no college interviewer (that I know of) will be influenced greatly by the wow factor of your wardrobe. In the working world, yes, but on a college campus, no. 18 year old American students vary so much, and so many come from so little, and if your interviewers are really really liberal (like from the 60s)...your bling will send the wrong message. The only way to wow a college interviewer is by what comes out of your mouth.

Good luck!

I personally think wearing all that extra stuff is unprofessional, especially to an interview. You're also misplacing your priorities if you are more worried about wowing an admissions counselor with your wardrobe.

I agree with the others that you need to be careful with the logos and also more details about this interview would help. If your apply for fashion it's different then Harvard law.

No matter what I think both shirts are a big no! You need to wear something solid, the jeans are fine and you can wear the LV belt. The shoes should not be plaid or any type of sneaker. The jewelry and watch should be fine. Remember less is more.

I work in fashion and I'll be honest and say if you walked into my office for an interview wearing all of that you had better have a lot of great things to say/tell me b/c you pretty much blew it with the outfit. Logos are not style, it's just a way of advertising how much you spent.

If this is an interview for a U.S. school, I think you've missed the mark. Also: is this undergraduate or graduate?

Either way, no jeans. Chinos or dress pants/skirts, at a minimum. For a graduate program in business, wear a suit.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but wearing $10,000 (or thereabouts) worth of stuff does not necessarily create a good impression. And it certainly doesn't overcome the fact that you want to wear jeans.

And lastly, no college interviewer (that I know of) will be influenced greatly by the wow factor of your wardrobe. In the working world, yes, but on a college campus, no. 18 year old American students vary so much, and so many come from so little, and if your interviewers are really really liberal (like from the 60s)...your bling will send the wrong message. The only way to wow a college interviewer is by what comes out of your mouth.

Good luck!

Very well said!!
What matters most is what comes out of your mouth and the way you carry yourself in the interview.
I think if you walk in there with all the stuff you say you plan to wear to it, you may give the impression that you're more into "fashion" than studying at that college.
(BTW, this college isn't a fashion school is it? In which case, you can get away with wearing some of the stuff you've described...)