Tech Does anyone here have a Mac?

I had a similar experience with my last Mac (ibook). I spilled melted sorbet in it. Apple sent me a new keyboard for free, and it was perfectly fine.
One thing I will say, and this probably applies to any brand of laptop, is get the AppleCare extended warranty! My current PowerBook and my last iBook both had hard drive failures that required replacing the entire HD. It's a pain, but if you have the AppleCare, it's free. I have found their tech support to generally be pretty good. I wouldn't switch to a PC.

i didn't even need a new keyboard :lol: but i imagine melted sorbet would be a bit stickier than diet coke.. but yes, DEFINITELY get apple care. i didn't have it on my powerbook which was STUPID but i was lucky enough not to need anything other than a couple of new hard drives (which i learned to replace myself as a result of not having apple care :lol: i have the WORST luck with hard drives. they kept telling me that those particular ones almost never fail, i was or a rather different opinion. i think there might have been some tiny wiring fault in the machine or something that nobody ever noticed that caused them to break down like that) and optical drives (one died in the diet coke incident, which luckily was still covered by my warranty. another one i ended up replacing myself.). if i'd needed a new screen i would've died :wtf: those cost a fortune... i have apple care on my macbook pro so probably nothing will happen to it :lol:

I have both a 12" Powerbook and a 20" iMac (for the house) that I absolutely love! My friends and I do a little graphic design (which mac is known for) but mostly, but we have used macs exclusively for the past 5 years and wouldn't buy anything else.

I've had a Powerbook G4 for almost four years. I love it, but --

For the love of god, get Apple's Extended Warranty. In my experience, the company has no sense of customer service when dealing with them over the phone. Horror stories include: refusing to replace my just-under-$100 power cable because it was three days out of warranty; sending me a replacement iPod with a defective battery and then refusing to replace it because by the time they'd shipped it to me, it too had gone out of warranty. When my laptop battery started to act up, they charged me $150 to look at it and send it back saying that they couldn't find anything wrong -- after three months of holding on to it.

(On the other hand, the brick-and-mortar stores are wonderful. When the iPod debacle happened, my brother, who happened to be driving down to the States, offered to take it in to a store for me. He went to the desk, explained the situation, and they gave him a replacement on the spot.)

It's frustrating and angering. If I'm going to be paying a premium, I don't want them to give me a product that's (again, in my experience) almost guaranteed to fail me, or to be treated like a second-rate customer.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Macs as well. In fact, I had my first Mac in 1989 (the ones that they now turn into fishtanks) and I have never bought another type of computer since. Now I'm using a PowerBook G4 15" titanium and I think it's fabulous. They are SUPER easy to use, especially if you're a visual person. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

i didn't even need a new keyboard :lol: but i imagine melted sorbet would be a bit stickier than diet coke.. but yes, DEFINITELY get apple care. i didn't have it on my powerbook which was STUPID but i was lucky enough not to need anything other than a couple of new hard drives (which i learned to replace myself as a result of not having apple care :lol: i have the WORST luck with hard drives. they kept telling me that those particular ones almost never fail, i was or a rather different opinion. i think there might have been some tiny wiring fault in the machine or something that nobody ever noticed that caused them to break down like that) and optical drives (one died in the diet coke incident, which luckily was still covered by my warranty. another one i ended up replacing myself.). if i'd needed a new screen i would've died :wtf: those cost a fortune... i have apple care on my macbook pro so probably nothing will happen to it :lol:

Yes, the sorbet was quite a mess. When it would be dry out, I basically just had to hit all the keys to break the sugar bonds in the keyboard, and then it would be ok until it got humid out again, and it would get all sticky from the moisture in the air. I was really glad they didn't inquire too much as to why I needed a new keyboard. :graucho: