Would you wear a pencil dress at work ?

Why do most of you think that suiting dresses are sexy? I'm thinking of dresses like this.
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Wom...dresses/suitingdresses/PRDOVR~24155/24155.jsp
http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Wom...dresses/suitingdresses/PRDOVR~19881/19881.jsp
I don't think they are much sexier than a fitted pencil skirt with silky tank top. It just seems like business casual to me.

Because it's very fitted over the waist/hips/butt. The pencil skirts on J Crew don't even look as fitted, and anyway they only emphasize one body part. A sleek, fitted dress shows all your curves. Look at Joan on Mad Men. Yes, technically her outfits look like office wear, but she also looks a frickin' bombshell. That's more attention than you want at work in modern times.

But again, depends on how you are built, how fitted the dress is, and whether other people wear something similar at work. If you are straight up and down, I think it can be a great menswear look. If you're Joan, then a sheath is probably more appropriate.

OP, you could also wear a fitted dress out and about during the day, and dress down with a cardi if need be.

Thanks for all your opinions !! Juneping, I love the dress Charlotte from SATC was wearing at the gallery in the episode with the group of lesbians, i remember looking for it everywhere !

Because it's very fitted over the waist/hips/butt. The pencil skirts on J Crew don't even look as fitted, and anyway they only emphasize one body part. A sleek, fitted dress shows all your curves. Look at Joan on Mad Men. Yes, technically her outfits look like office wear, but she also looks a frickin' bombshell. That's more attention than you want at work in modern times.

But again, depends on how you are built, how fitted the dress is, and whether other people wear something similar at work. If you are straight up and down, I think it can be a great menswear look. If you're Joan, then a sheath is probably more appropriate.

OP, you could also wear a fitted dress out and about during the day, and dress down with a cardi if need be.

Exactly !! that´s the reason why I was asking... I am far from curvaceous Joan from Mad Men (especially bust wise ! I am a 32B...) but I do have hips, and if I put a push up bra then I have an hourglass figure.
I´ve just always loved loved loved that type of dress !!! Until now I´d buy pencil dresses with a "fun" detail (like a big collar) so they were an obvious choice for parties. But this one is dark, grey, classic cut, neck line.
But I don´t know when to wear it, and I am afraid to be too sexy at work. I tend to easily draw attention, even in jeans, does this mean I should always restrain myself ?
People in my company are very easy going, both in what they wear and their mentality.
I like hearing your opinions and your suggestions !!

BTW, I do wear pencil skirts at work, but in denim, or with a sweater (so it´s toned down)

Last edited:
OP, personally I wouldn't, especially if you already draw attention. Do you mean that you are already just too sexy in jeans :graucho:, or just that your style is different? I also have a laidback workplace where people really dress down, so even my casual outfits stick out, and I just try not to stick out any more. Also, if you wear something sexy to a party where everyone is wearing something sexy, most people might not look twice, but if you wear something sexy when everyone else is wearing something conservative, then you REALLY will get the stares, kwim? On the other hand, if you just can't help being a knockout then you might as well wear what you like!

When you put the dress on, do you feel like a knockout??

Oh, yeah, I also wear pencil skirts at work but only denim, not that fitted, with a shirt/sweater over and some butt-covering back pockets.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your opinions !! Juneping, I love the dress Charlotte from SATC was wearing at the gallery in the episode with the group of lesbians, i remember looking for it everywhere !

Exactly !! that´s the reason why I was asking... I am far from curvaceous Joan from Mad Men (especially bust wise ! I am a 32B...) but I do have hips, and if I put a push up bra then I have an hourglass figure.
I´ve just always loved loved loved that type of dress !!! Until now I´d buy pencil dresses with a "fun" detail (like a big collar) so they were an obvious choice for parties. But this one is dark, grey, classic cut, neck line.
But I don´t know when to wear it, and I am afraid to be too sexy at work. I tend to easily draw attention, even in jeans, does this mean I should always restrain myself ?
People in my company are very easy going, both in what they wear and their mentality.
I like hearing your opinions and your suggestions !!

BTW, I do wear pencil skirts at work, but in denim, or with a sweater (so it´s toned down)

If you will be uncomfortable in it than I don't think you should. Especially if you are drawing unwanted attention. -Although I do think you should wear whatever you want.

But you can easily dress it down and disguise your figure more with a long cardigan the ones that go halfway down your butt.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Browse/Wom...tegory/sweaters/cotton/PRDOVR~20796/20796.jsp

I wear form-fitting dresses to work but 'tone them down' with a boyfriend blazer...

This is what I wore yesterday. Please forgive the terrrrible hair... it was really windy and rainy outside and my hair totally rebels against bad weather. Obviously. lol

0204.jpg

^^Waow, thanks ! You look hot but classy, and fabulous.

I think I´ll restrain from the workplace for now, and think about it again...with your suggestions of toning it down, covering my butt halfway for instance. I have worn the dress once so far, with a blazer, to a restaurant.
To me any sort of fitted jeans or trousers are sexy anyways, but with my glasses and this type of dress I think it´s too easy for me to fall into the "sexy secretary or librarian" fantasy type if you know what I mean:P

I find the pencil dress and skirt very feminine so if you are really curvy it may not be appropriate at a casual workplace. As everyone else suggested, you can dress it down but when you go out, definitely wear it.