College dilemma

styloboy

O.G.
May 13, 2008
So I have a bit of a dilemma, at the moment I am in my first year of doing a bachelor in Business Administrations, eventhough it satisfies me, I don't love it. The reason I am in this education is due to some poor decision making when I was 13 (what's not to like about the Dutch educational sysytem. :graucho:)

There is however one thing I would love to be and that is an psychiatrist due to my bad decisions I mentioned this was never a possibility however as I am bclimbing the academical ladder it had presented itself as an possibilty. The are just a few concerns, since I already started something I'm good at and I have no idea if I will be succesfull pursuing something new.

I will have to start from scratch sine the University I am apllying to even offers 000 level classes it's possible for me to have this oppurtunity, I don't mind working hard however redoing al physics, biology and science courses from high school while also trying to get an bachelor might be just a bit too much. I didn't even mention the fact that the university allows only about 1.5% of applicants to study there. That is something I will have to fight for.

So basically my dilemma is to either stick with something ok and keep pursuing this path I have become quite succesfull at. Or to go in the complete opposite and unknown and hope for the best. I was wondering from your past experiences and regrets, What would you do?

Sorry for the long rant but I am about to have an anxiety attack about all oft his. :P

I understand where you're coming from.
I've always been very successful in English and journalism classes in school - I was a Creative Writing major for my first two years in college, and then realize I liked more as a hobby, not as a future career. So I'm transferring to a different school for a health-care related field (something I could see myself doing and loving as a job), I'll be in school an additional 4 years, but I think it's worth it.

Would you want to have a business career for the rest of your life? Or would you truly be happier being a psychiatrist? I think once you answer that, you'll know what to do.

I'm not sure how the education system works in your country. But for the US, a psychiatrist requires a 4-year degree, then medical school, then another few years to specialize as a psychiatrist. Are you willing to make the kind of commitment required to become a doctor?

I'm not sure how the education system works in your country. But for the US, a psychiatrist requires a 4-year degree, then medical school, then another few years to specialize as a psychiatrist. Are you willing to make the kind of commitment required to become a doctor?

In The Netherlands it's 3 years for the Bachelor than 4 years med school and 4.5 years psychiatrist in training. I am willing to make this commitment however as usual I'm afraid of the unknown. But on the other hand I'm afraid that if I don't try that I will regret it later in my life.

i would pursue whatever it is that i would be happy doing forever. i do not like the idea of doing something you dread because with your career, you don't want to have to be miserable every single day.

I am willing to make this commitment however as usual I'm afraid of the unknown. But on the other hand I'm afraid that if I don't try that I will regret it later in my life.

I think that you have said it all right there. Don't let fear stop you from doing something that you are interested in. I completely understand where you are coming from. I've wanted to be a teacher all my life, but have become interested in a career in law.

I've heard stories of people grabbing their bags in the middle of the night and drive 1,000 miles to some new place and do something with the risk of it being a total failure. Sometimes it works out and they make it big. When it doesn't they still have the experience and learn something from it.

If you feel a push, then it means there's opportunity inviting you...take the invitation! Remember, you miss 100% of the shot you never take. And who knows, maybe you will get there halfway and realized you wanted to become a psychologist instead. It's a path full of turns and stepping into the unknown is part of the thrill.

i'm actually a business administration and psychology duel degree, so graduating with 2 bachelors degrees, one BBA and one BA in psych. i've planned for this since freshman year, and am still able to finish college in the traditional 4 years. is this something you would be up for considering?

I don't think that Business administration sucks, I have a degree in Economics and I love it. But a year after my graduation I started another degree in Art which was one of my dreams, after going through the education system all over again, giving exams with 17 year olds when I was significantly older than the majority. Everything was while working on a full time day job.
Now I'm going for another degree, and my classmates are 18-19 years old and I'm 30. I 'm a firm believer of following your dream and instincts, if you work on something you love either it's a job or studying, half your life is fun.

Do what to love the most. I suggest you get your degree in Business administration, and then pursue the psychology degree. The more you know the better. But if you don't like Business administration give exams again for psychiatry.

Do you lose you position as a student in Business administration if you give exams for another school? Where I live you don't lose you position until you succeed in the school you want. You can postpone your entering the classes for as long as you need too.

i'm actually a business administration and psychology duel degree, so graduating with 2 bachelors degrees, one BBA and one BA in psych. i've planned for this since freshman year, and am still able to finish college in the traditional 4 years. is this something you would be up for considering?

I have thought about this but unfortunately this won't be a possiblity because in high school I made some poor decisions and never had physics, biology or science. And I will have to redo everything in college while also gaining the knowledge to apply to med school, that's also why this decision is so hard. I can only do one or the other.

I don't think that Business administration sucks, I have a degree in Economics and I love it. But a year after my graduation I started another degree in Art which was one of my dreams, after going through the education system all over again, giving exams with 17 year olds when I was significantly older than the majority. Everything was while working on a full time day job.
Now I'm going for another degree, and my classmates are 18-19 years old and I'm 30. I 'm a firm believer of following your dream and instincts, if you work on something you love either it's a job or studying, half your life is fun.

Do what to love the most. I suggest you get your degree in Business administration, and then pursue the psychology degree. The more you know the better. But if you don't like Business administration give exams again for psychiatry.

Do you lose you position as a student in Business administration if you give exams for another school? Where I live you don't lose you position until you succeed in the school you want. You can postpone your entering the classes for as long as you need too.

This is actually some very good advice I never thought about this. I can "try" it and in case I fail I lose just one year and I can continue with my BBA. :biggrin:

I'm now halfway on my BA studies and I don't like it at all :tdown: it is an "easy" education which gives you a lot of choices when applying a job. It's kind of like the office-work education :smile:
But don't get me wrong, it has its difficult courses and I'm battling really hard right now few of them.

But I think it's too late now to change and start over because I'm so over being at school and I'm counting months until I graduate and get a job and, start a real life.
Even if I stop and start studying something else I wouldn't still be happy knowing that I lost year and a half of my life for nothing.. you can't say on your CV that I have this and this degree and half of this and this one :biggrin:

So my advice would be that study what you like to study because you'll be doing it for a while. But also consider what kind of jobs and how easily could you get jobs with that degree? If a second one on BA would help alot to get your dream job, then do both if you're not so eager to get off from school :P

I'm now halfway on my BA studies and I don't like it at all :tdown: it is an "easy" education which gives you a lot of choices when applying a job. It's kind of like the office-work education :smile:
But don't get me wrong, it has its difficult courses and I'm battling really hard right now few of them.

But I think it's too late now to change and start over because I'm so over being at school and I'm counting months until I graduate and get a job and, start a real life.
Even if I stop and start studying something else I wouldn't still be happy knowing that I lost year and a half of my life for nothing.. you can't say on your CV that I have this and this degree and half of this and this one :biggrin:

So my advice would be that study what you like to study because you'll be doing it for a while. But also consider what kind of jobs and how easily could you get jobs with that degree? If a second one on BA would help alot to get your dream job, then do both if you're not so eager to get off from school :P

Well I made a decision this afternoon when I was talking to a friend while studying for our statistics exam tomorrow and we were discussing how easy the exam was and why we even bothered studying :P, and I brought up the subject and after about 30 minutes we had downloaded all application forms, so I have just finished my motivational letter it's now 2.15 am here but I am feeling amazing at the moment so I am just finishing everything and meeting my tutor tomorrow morning and she will write me an recommendation letter. :biggrin: I think I can honestly say I have never been happier in my life.