B. Makowsky bags are not a wise choice

tess1956

Jan 9, 2010
I wish I had known about this forum before I purchased a B. Makowsky handbag last year, because I would have seen all the bad reviews of B. Makowsky handbags. Within a few months of use, the leather handle was frayed and badly discolored from body oils. I wrote to this company's customer service, but they will not repair the bag.

It is ridiculous to pay exorbitant prices for handbags from companies that don't stand behind their products. If you are contemplating a B. Makowsky purchase, you should instead consider Dooney & Bourke or another company that warrants its products. Unless you just have money to throw away....

Now I'm going to throw away this expensive bag that only lasted a few months. I will NEVER again buy another B. Makowsky product!!

Reactions: NanceB
Sorry to hear about your situation. I recall there was a whole thread of gals who had bought B. Makowsky bags and couldn't get them fixed when they started falling apart. I think you're right. B. Makowsky bags are almost as expensive as Dooney or Coach. A company that sells bags at that price point should have the ability to fix them.

Reactions: NanceB
Thank you guys for the information. I really can't believe that they are so poorly made. Everytime I see one, I almost buy it. Definitely won't be buying now. Thanks again!

Such a pity that the craftsmanship is poor. I see these all the time in high quantities at TJ Maxx and they feel really soft and come in very nice designs and colors. Mom's been looking at them, I'll tell her not to get one from a company that won't even stand behind their obviously failing product.

I guess if enough people quit buying them in favor of bags that are high quality, and maybe if they lose enough business, then maybe they will change their policy. Even so, who wants to spend a bunch of money on a bag that's gonna fall apart quickly?? Learned my lesson!

Reactions: coniglietta
Oh no! I bought one for my sister for xmas! Wish I had known... but on the other hand, she loves it, and to me the quality and construction seems up to par with any other bag in its price range.. so.. I'll keep my fingers crossed in hope that nothing will go wrong :sad:

I certainly don't mean to imply that all B. Makowsky bags are bound to have problems. However, if you do have a problem, don't expect much help from B. Makowsky. They basically send you an e-mail saying, "We don't fix them. Take it back to the store."

The leather has always felt cheap quality, very delicate and you can see from examining bags that have been displayed awhile that they scuff easily. I think the Kathy bags are more durable because instead of using cheap leather and trying to pretend they are high end, they are made of vinyl and in a price range which is applicable to them. It is too bad, because I think some of the designs and colors are nice, but even when they get marked down, I can tell the bag won't last long. Would not be surprised to see this line disappear.