Secondhand Bargains....let's see your cheap treasures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
VIntage Leather....what a wonderful and amazing deal on that gorgeous vase!!!

About a month ago I was at a garage sale and saw a gorgeous bronze statue of a gymnast. It was signed and numbered and was $20. I had never heard of the sculptor, but loved the statue, and it was nostalgic for me as the Olympics in the early 80's were HUGE, as I was a gymnast at the time. Anyway....I got home, and it turned out the statue was done by a very famous sculptor. I don't know if it is worth anything, but I love it! I will try to post a pic tomorrow!

My biggest steal was definately my Balenciaga sunglasses for 50cents.
4146736044_f0c83efb9a_o.jpg

I have worked in the same thrift shop for 5 years and you would not believe the stuff we get. Within the past two months we have gotten 5 d&b bags, 2 botkier trigger bags and numerous coach purses. Not to mention we've gotten lots of Chihuly glass bowls.
We aren't exactly in a wealthy county either.

which would be better to go to a thrift shop or goodwill?

From my experience Thrift shops have better selection. Goodwill has multiple locations around the country and they tend to send their nicer stuff to the bigger cities. Plus they hire people to list alot of their nicer stuff on ebay and their own auction site. I'll admit it does take a little bit more digging at a thrift shop, but when you walk out with a $6 Oscar de la Renta dress you'll realize it's totally worth it.;)

CowPrincess...I love the first white shirt....it is gorgeous! And you need to wear the Jil Sander shirt. Just scotchgaurd it first!!

OK...let me see what else I have saved on my computer.....

There are so many things that were bought used for cheap, but I did get these Hermes scarves at a garage sale for $1 each. I had them authenticated here, so they are the real deal!!!

WOWOW SUPPPPPER LUCKY :balloon::balloon::tup::faint::shocked::amazed::woot:

You have excellent taste and your finds are to die for!

Anne, you make me jealous sometimes! I'm always jealous of your finds!

picture1fqp.png

I snagged this cropped Vince leather jacket at Thrift Town for $13. I used the gift card I won by wearing sending them a pic of my secondhand prom dress!

dscf4047k.jpg

My $4 Gucci scarf paired with my $6.99 YSL jacket. The scarf still had the Saks tag still attached (with the price part taken off)! I got the scarf from Thrift Town and the YSL from Goodwill. The coat has a stand collar and a great military look.

n1063590290_30276249_2739271.jpg

Vintage Versace sunglasses for $20 and possibly the most amazing coat I've ever bought, a $30 Bullock's of Pasadena swing coat. I have never bought a coat with buttons sewn on so well. They're all still intact, too!

My best deal would perhaps be my vintage Gianni Versace Couture dress. The summer before my senior year started, I really got into shopping at thrift and consignment stores. I'd lost my job and was mostly worried about finding a graduation dress. My parents said time and time again that I didn't need to be hunting for a secondhand dress and that they'd pay for it, but I wanted to have a little bit of a challenge. It all happened one day when I was supposed to be goign to the grocery store. Thrift town is JUST down the street, so I figured I'd pop in to see what they had. On the better clothing rack, these two little false pockets caught my eye. I followed the line of the dress up, up to the tag.
I think my mouth dropped open at this point. I could not believe that somehow, this beautiful dress got sent my way. I checked the lining, the seams, everything. It was meant to be, except the tag read $40 and I had around $30. I took it into the dressing room and tried it on. I knew it had to be mine, but I didn't have the money. And then I remembered that I hadn't checked the color tag of the day. Sure enough, the price tag on the dress matched the 1/2 sale tag color of the day! I happily paid for it and went home. I had an empty stomach, but hey, it's not every day you find something like that! When my mom got home from work that day, I told her I bought a graduation dress. Now, she loves Thrift Town, but most of the dresses there tend to be a little... dated. Her jaw dropped as wide as mine when she saw it! It was a long, torturous wait to wear that gorgeous dress. I purchased it August 1 2008 and wore it to my high school graduation about TEN months later!
362112181618cb070a8d.jpg

My WOC covers up the false pockets, but you can see the button in my avatar!

Congratulations! I know i'm late, but its never too late for a compliment right:flowers:

I know the feeling far too well. Time flies when you are having an adventure in shopping! I don't tend to shop for clothes in thrift shops - I'm an unusual size, and it just depresses me to have something that I still have to take to the tailor...

However, I can't pass up a jewelry rack or bag bin... and I always stop by the housewares. Housewares is where I found my greatest secondhand treasure...

I was looking for a smaller vase for flowers for my garden, and this just seemed to be looking up at my in a dusty pile of glass.

It was priced at $0.25. I flipped up the bottom, and etched was "L.C.T. 24536" :nuts:
It couldn't be. I knew who had a mark like that, but it wouldn't be in a charity shop, would it?!

Well, I walked quietly up to the counter, handed over my quarter, then walked out the door in a haze of disbelief.

That week, I made an appointment and had the piece appraised.
Louis Comfort Tiffany Studios Favrile glass, vase, made in 1902. Appraised at $400. :yahoo:

Trust me - it is never too late for a compliment. Years later, I am still doing a happy dance every time I see it. It is even more special to me because I am a glass artist, so there is an element of knowing my roots!

That being said - Stunning glasses! I love seeing everyone's finds.

I usually find the best items in consignment shops, or church-associated charity shops. My favorites are almost always located in middle class neighborhoods on the outskirts of very wealthy areas. I've occasionally attempted to understand the whys and wherefors of this - Housekeepers who accept clothes and then don't use them? People who shop garage sales and then realize they would rather have money/space? An attempt to keep up with your neighbors/coworkers, and then a realization that it is silly? Liquidating an estate?

I have no ryme or reason to which stores I will go too! I am an equal opportunity thrifter!!! let me see what else I can find.....

I bought this sheared mink coat at a local thrift shop for $2.99. It is in perfect condition except for a tiny stain on the inside lining. I won't buy new fur....but this coat needed a home and for $2.99...who was I to say no??!!

Hermes sandals...in new condition were bought at Salvation Army for $12.99. I love them.....

Attachments

• mink.jpg
    mink.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,601
  • hermes 015.jpg
    hermes 015.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,663
Nothing compared to the outrageously awesome deals that others have posted, but one of my favorite pieces of clothing I own is from Housing Works in NYC. It's a vintage Chanel blazer/jacket, classic black and white tweed with silk lining. Goes with everything! Wasn't super-duper cheap at $90, but still a deal to me. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.