Training a - Help Please

NicAddict

Living a new Life
O.G.
Mar 13, 2008
If this has been asked and answered before then I apologise...

How does one best train a Cabat to keep its sides 'tucked' in ?

Do you simply fold the sides and place something heavy on it overnight or for weeks ?

Or do you occasionally tuck them in and hope for the best ?

Or is there another, better, easier method ?

I love the way the Fever Cabat looks when tucked in but she doesn't like to stay like that.....

Last edited:
From what I gather, I think the training comes from use--keep tucking, and the leather will wear in that formation.

However, after handling the Fever, Anemone, Esperenza Cabats in New York a few weeks ago, I think it would be much harder to train them due to the inherent firmness of the leather. I didn't spend more than a minute with one of them, but if you think your Fever softens with use, then I suppose the sides eventually will train as you go, but it might take a while. The nappa and other soft Cabats are just more malleable. I played with a nappa Cabat recently and the sides stayed tucked immediately.

As long as you don't think you're damaging/creasing the sides of your Fever, you could try weaving a strip of ribbon to each "point" on the sides and tie/cinch them together towards the center to encourage the sides to bend (sort of like the improvised ties that some handbag repair places have put into the Cabats). I would be VERY careful with this, though, because you don't want to put undue stress on any individual strip of the weaving by using a strand that is too thin or tying it too tight.

I think the Fever looks very dramatic in full flare! I wouldn't try to tuck the sides if I were lucky enough to have one.

Flare the Fever, NicAddict, Flare the Fever!!!

The stiffest Cabat I own is the Tea/Rame, and I just fold it in when wearing, but store flared.

i think it is a combination of the structure of the leather and the size of the bag. my large vachette seems to prefer being tucked. my mediums will tuck but most easily if not too full.
i don't know if i would weave a ribbon- as a knitter, if you distort the weave it can reflect in the entire bag. i made a lot of felted bags and symmetry is harder to achieve than you can imagine.

i think it is a combination of the structure of the leather and the size of the bag. my large vachette seems to prefer being tucked. my mediums will tuck but most easily if not too full.
i don't know if i would weave a ribbon- as a knitter, if you distort the weave it can reflect in the entire bag. i made a lot of felted bags and symmetry is harder to achieve than you can imagine.
OT sorry,
Annie9999, I make felted bags too!! My dd's also have made a few bags and eyeglass/cell phone cases.

Okay, back on topic -
Flare the Fever!

I store mine flared too. My Cabat has cooperated more after softening up a bit. The sides will fold in after you have used it some. It does get softer with use. I like that squishy and soft look my Cabat has now. I used it flared most of the time.