Kelly 35 - Desperately needing help!

annie_annie

Mar 28, 2009
Hi eveyone!

I am a newbie to Hermes.:smile:

Just very recently, i acquired my very 1st hermes bag.. actually it is my one & only at the moment.. A Retourne Kelly 35, Black Togo.

And just yesterday, I bought myself that Japanese Magazine, Hermes Super Catagloue.

In it, it states that the Kelly 35 measurements:
W35 x H24 x D18 (cm). Then, I took the measurement of my Kelly 35.

To my dismay, my Kelly 35 is: w35 x h24 x D12!! Imagine my horror & shock. So i quickly retrieved my receipt and it reads kelly35 on the receipt.

Then i remember that in this forum, under Hermès Reference Library, there a Size Reference Guide. And in there, it states that: Kelly35cm H28XW35XD18cm

So now i am really scared that there is something wrong with my Kelly.

IS THE HEIGHT 24CM OR 28CM?
AND
IS THE DEPTH 12CM OR 18CM?

Oh dear, i am now very CONFUSED!! Perhaps mine is the kelly32, not Kelly35.. meaning the boutique sold me the wrong size, cos i always only wanted a Kelly35, not 32, as i'm a big bag person.

I'm really sad and scared that there is really a mistake here... Can someone here please please tell me, what is the EXACT MEASUREMENT OF RETOURNE KELLY 35?

Sorry for my long post.. Thank you..:smile::smile:

Last edited:
Is the measurement you read in the magazine for a Sellier or Rotourne Kelly? All Kellys are handmade so there are bound to be some differences on each bag. A rotourne is softer and more pliable, so it's possible the measurement is a little off. The size of the Kelly is by the width, hence your Kelly is definitely a 35.

Hi dear, Did you buy your kelly from Hermes or a reseller? My 35cm kelly Retourne measures 35cmwide x 26cm high x 12 cm deep. I'm sure that your kelly is fine and maybe someone got mixed up with the measurements as the kelly is not as deep as the 35cm Birkin.

Is the measurement you read in the magazine for a Sellier or Rotourne Kelly? All Kellys are handmade so there are bound to be some differences on each bag. A rotourne is softer and more pliable, so it's possible the measurement is a little off. The size of the Kelly is by the width, hence your Kelly is definitely a 35.

Hi ms piggy,
Thanks for your help & assurance. :smile:Mine is a Retourne Kelly. My width is 35 (measured with my measuring tape..:P). It scared me as my height & depth differs from those references i mentioned by quite a bit.

Edit: Sorry, i am not sure whether the measurement in the Japanese Magazine is for retourne or sellier. Cos i can't read japanese.. haha! i could only rely on the pics and figures..

Hi dear, Did you buy your kelly from Hermes or a reseller? My 35cm kelly Retourne measures 35cmwide x 26cm high x 12 cm deep. I'm sure that your kelly is fine and maybe someone got mixed up with the measurements as the kelly is not as deep as the 35cm Birkin.

Hi Syma,
Thanks for your prompt advice!

I bought my kelly from Hermes Boutique. I was totally shocked when i read that the depth was 18cm! Imagine my jaw dropped!

So yours is a 35cm kelly Retourne too and measures 35cmwide x 26cm high x 12 cm deep??
I feel so much better now! Thank you dear! But my height is only 24cm. Is this normal? Cos miss piggy also mentioned above that, for retourne kelly measurement may be a bit off since every piece is handmade. Is the 2cm difference acceptable?

Did you buy it from a reseller?

Maybe the measurement of the kelly changes. Just like originally the Kelly didn't have a shoulder strap but now it does.

Hi baileylab, Nope not reseller. I got it from an Hermes Boutique. I'm just worried that they made a mistake on their part, selling me a Kelly32 as a Kelly35 accidentally.

Last edited:
These are handmade bags. The sizes WILL vary depending upon year and craftsman. Here is an old pic of 25cm birkins that I have posted before, both same skin, same size, yet very noticeable differences. You can rest easy. :smile: My kellys don't have as much difference, but I do notice some proportion differences in older kellys vs newer ones.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo   7.jpg
    Photo 7.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,233
  • Photo   8.jpg
    Photo 8.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1,202
These are handmade bags. The sizes WILL vary depending upon year and craftsman. Here is an old pic of 25cm birkins that I have posted before, both same skin, same size, yet very noticeable differences. You can rest easy. :smile: My kellys don't have as much difference, but I do notice some proportion differences in older kellys vs newer ones.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thank you so much, dear! Your explanation had totally relieved me from my fear and worry.

I never knew that for the exact same leather and same size, the bags could differ by this much.

I can't tell you how assured i am now. Plus your photos did the best illustration & explanation.

I learnt something new again today.

On top of that, all you ladies here in this forum are so knowledgeable and willingly to share them with newbies like myself. I cannot thank you all enough.

I will be able to sleep well tonight! :biggrin::yahoo:

Lovely pics Hermesmonkey. It really shows a difference in sizes depending on the craftsman.

OP hope you feel better now.

:biggrin: Yes I am feeling GOOD now! haha! Thank you! :biggrin:

Yes, seems that it depends on the craftsman. Then i hope that if i am fortunate to land myself another hermes bag in future, this time the craftsman will be more generous with the amount of leather on my bag! Just kidding! :P

Last edited:
Hi ms piggy,
Thanks for your help & assurance. :smile:Mine is a Retourne Kelly. My width is 35 (measured with my measuring tape..:P). It scared me as my height & depth differs from those references i mentioned by quite a bit.

Edit: Sorry, i am not sure whether the measurement in the Japanese Magazine is for retourne or sellier. Cos i can't read japanese.. haha! i could only rely on the pics and figures..

Hi Syma,
Thanks for your prompt advice!

I bought my kelly from Hermes Boutique. I was totally shocked when i read that the depth was 18cm! Imagine my jaw dropped!

So yours is a 35cm kelly Retourne too and measures 35cmwide x 26cm high x 12 cm deep??
I feel so much better now! Thank you dear! But my height is only 24cm. Is this normal? Cos miss piggy also mentioned above that, for retourne kelly measurement may be a bit off since every piece is handmade. Is the 2cm difference acceptable?

Hi baileylab, Nope not reseller. I got it from an Hermes Boutique. I'm just worried that they made a mistake on their part, selling me a Kelly32 as a Kelly35 accidentally.

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier! My Kelly is a few years older than yours and in Box leather which is pretty stiff, that may account for the slight size difference, having said that the width of my kelly is just slightly shy of 35cm so maybe they added the extra height lol!

I assure you that you definately have a 35cm kelly as Ms Piggy said that the measurements are taken from the width of the bag. Many congrats on your new beauty and enjoy using her!

Sorry for not getting back to you earlier! My Kelly is a few years older than yours and in Box leather which is pretty stiff, that may account for the slight size difference, having said that the width of my kelly is just slightly shy of 35cm so maybe they added the extra height lol!

I assure you that you definately have a 35cm kelly as Ms Piggy said that the measurements are taken from the width of the bag. Many congrats on your new beauty and enjoy using her!

Thank you so much for telling me this. I really appreciate your assurance as it means a lot to me. This means that it was not a blunder on my part or the boutique. :biggrin:

If you don't mind me asking again, does it mean that for ALL hermes bags, the measurement are all taken/based from the width of the bags? So say, for a Birkin 35, the width will definitely measure 35cm, just that the depth & height will have some plus/minus allowance? So when referencing sizes, we will only take the Width as reference point?