Question about what is/isn't allowed here

^ I don't think it's wrong to help sellers, at all. :nogood:

However, I do think it's unfortunate if girls, who really know their stuff, are giving free authentications, out of the kindness of their hearts, thinking they're helping buyers not to buy a fake, or sellers not to accidentally sell one; but, really, they are just giving away their time to people who are then using their opinions to charge a third party for an 'authentication service'.

That is utterly unfair and dishonest, IMO (although, I appreciate it has nothing to do with tPF rules and I'm not suggesting anything can be done about it). :tdown:

In an ideal world, I'd personally like 'askers' to have to state why they need the authentication and if they were found to have lied, to be sofa kinged! :lol:

One can dream! :biggrin:

Last edited:
^ I don't think it's wrong to help sellers, at all. :nogood:

Actually, I tell a lie (or a half lie!), I certainly do think it's wrong to help sellers of fakes to know which fakes are 'good' enough to pass as authentic and that's why some of the 'askers' are asking, of course; to see which fakes are undetectable. :tdown:

Oh dear, 'The road to hell...'! :Push:

^^There are certainly a number of girls posting numerous bags - all of which are fake - in an attempt to see if they can 'pass' authentication. I've had a couple of girls do it. They won't post a listing number. When asked where the bag is being sourced - it miraculously appears to be a friend who is selling - or a sister - or whatever:P One girl said 'oh I just found a link' - well thats fine - post the link!!:graucho: Never did.

I'd find it highly irritating should there be members here who are posting bags for authentication - and who themselves offer a paid authentication service - and are therefore only wanting an opinion as they themselves may not know the designer - and so ask the question - get the answer - and go off and charge their client their fee. That IS wrong.

I think there will always be questions re authenticating - and the bottomline is that we do want to help the decent and honest people who are members here. If - in the meantime - we are being taken 'for a ride' then its wrong - but I'm not sure how we can get around it TBH - or at least - not easily.:shrugs:

^^There are certainly a number of girls posting numerous bags - all of which are fake - in an attempt to see if they can 'pass' authentication. I've had a couple of girls do it. They won't post a listing number. When asked where the bag is being sourced - it miraculously appears to be a friend who is selling - or a sister - or whatever:P One girl said 'oh I just found a link' - well thats fine - post the link!!:graucho: Never did.

:rolleyes:

I'd find it highly irritating should there be members here who are posting bags for authentication - and who themselves offer a paid authentication service - and are therefore only wanting an opinion as they themselves may not know the designer - and so ask the question - get the answer - and go off and charge their client their fee. That IS wrong.

Yes, ITA. :tdown:

Especially as they, presumably, claim that it's their own opinion, gleaned from their own, indepth, personal knowledge; whereas, really, it's a brand they no little, or nothing, about. :nogood:

I'm pretty sure it happens fairly regularly, too.

I mean, it's fraud, isn't it?

So, in a way, as a tPF authenticator, one may be an unwitting accessory to fraud? :shrugs:

Not that I think any court in the world would convict one, of course, but still.

I think there will always be questions re authenticating - and the bottomline is that we do want to help the decent and honest people who are members here. If - in the meantime - we are being taken 'for a ride' then its wrong - but I'm not sure how we can get around it TBH - or at least - not easily.:shrugs:

No, I know, nor am I?

I think all authenticators should be directed to this thread, though - just to get some idea about what they may be dealing with! :yes:

this thread is kind of heading in a whole different direction now though. . . I wouldn't "send" authenticators here, perhaps it's something that needs it own thread so this one is not derailed{?}

NOPE.. I am PMing you. Because what I reference is done ON pf, in a public post.
Go to bed and answer me MANANA;)

I don't see a difference between someone saying it on a thread or in a PM. Either way, it's TPF that is the medium by which one person learns of a paid service or business. In the case you cite, Ellie Mae, I would think it's legit, in that someone has a business and happens to be a TPF member. They are not directly related, in the sense of that person being here to snare business. Hence an innocent and true fact about the member, who is after all entitled to have a business and to get referrals based on their merit. If this is not permitted, why would subforums be allowed to list Reputable Sellers of the brand on EBay? Some may be TPF members. So what?

I don't see a difference between someone saying it on a thread or in a PM. Either way, it's TPF that is the medium by which one person learns of a paid service or business. In the case you cite, Ellie Mae, I would think it's legit, in that someone has a business and happens to be a TPF member. They are not directly related, in the sense of that person being here to snare business. Hence an innocent and true fact about the member, who is after all entitled to have a business and to get referrals based on their merit. If this is not permitted, why would subforums be allowed to list Reputable Sellers of the brand on EBay? Some may be TPF members. So what?

I understand what you are saying, and whilst most such references are made publicly in a post... such as contact CarolDiva/Castira/whomever for a non-auth letter, there are times that either it is of greater benefit to a member to say such via PM rather than publicly, OR a member simply may have requested confidentiality with their issue. In those instances, a member might give another member such advice via PM rather than via public post.
SO, ITA....PMing does not always mean something is being hidden and rules being violated.:biggrin:

I think a lot goes on behind the scenes here that doesn't get posted for a reason. For example, from what is posted on certain threads members can identify people they could "help" and send them PMs offering assistance that comes in the form of a paid service provided by another TPFer (usually a close friend of the member sending the PM), and/or the member sending the PM. I mean, I can see why they do this--it's a great way to generate business. I was just wondering if this, among the other activities described, is within the rules; hence the reason for this thread. And unless I misunderstood Swanky's reply, this is not allowed here.

... Bottomline - don't solicit any sales or services via tPF - I think if we can put it that way - then surely most people can understand.

These are just my thoughts - and no doubt I'll be shot down in flames:graucho:
:lol:

^^There are certainly a number of girls posting numerous bags - all of which are fake - in an attempt to see if they can 'pass' authentication. [It must suck to be stuck in a position of "helping" these scammers. Even if you know who they are and stop doing authentications for them, they could just show up with another ID--right? Though you might be able to tell who they are based on their posts...IDK...tough situation.]

I'd find it highly irritating should there be members here who are posting bags for authentication - and who themselves offer a paid authentication service - and are therefore only wanting an opinion as they themselves may not know the designer - and so ask the question - get the answer - and go off and charge their client their fee. That IS wrong. [ITA. That's what I'm talking about.]

I think there will always be questions re authenticating - and the bottomline is that we do want to help the decent and honest people who are members here. If - in the meantime - we are being taken 'for a ride' then its wrong [ITA] - but I'm not sure how we can get around it TBH - or at least - not easily
:shrugs: [Would it be possible and within TPF policy to ignore posts from those you know are out to scam people with their fakes or using TPF's AT threads to charge for authentications?]

:smile:

^^ Personally - I like to try and help everyone - but sometimes you are aware that people seem to be posting a lot of fakes - and it can be frustrating - as they don't seem to learn - and so you do tend to wonder if they are 'trying you out'. Some girls just can't see a fake - and so they will constantly post them.

In the case of sellers - some want to authenticate prior to listing on auction - and for me - thats fine - I'm happy if we can help them - and that way - it also helps a potential buyer. Although in all cases - I'd always advise a potential buyer to still run it by the AT Thread - as I think its good if they can get opinion based on their own request.

As for people who may be using the AT Threads for - what is for me - a covert operation:graucho: the difficulty is proving it. I think that comes down to a persons personal integrity - and if someone who is offering a service which is charging - then they have NO business doing so if they aren't able themselves to do the necessary job. That is borderline fraud to an extent - and is certainly - IMO - unethical.

The issue mostly when you authenticate is trying to do so clearly and concisely and with speed as that way you help some poor girl keep their hard earned cash - rather than waste it on crap.

I think the difference is in the assumptions you're making: that a member has a biz and just "happens to be a TPF member" and that her service/business comes up as an "innocent and true fact" and that the member is not out to "snare business" (to use your words). If you get rid of those assumptions, the situation isn't as innocent anymore.

;)