Louis Vuitton in store return, very disappointing.

angelasofia

Nov 1, 2009
I just needed to vent. Even if no one reads or agrees, I just need to get out my frustration for my own sanity!

I bought the Speedy 40 yesterday in a certain Sak's store. Of course they were all sweet and la-la-la because I was buying something. I tried on the 35 and 40 and debated back and forth. I went with the 40 because I figured I would also use it as a diaper bag as well as a daily bag. I started to have second thoughts after I got home. Mind you, I drove an hour and 15 minutes to get to the nearest LV location. I did NOT use the bag because I wanted to sleep on it and make a decision whether to keep it. By the morning I decided I wanted to return for the 35. The 40, on me because I'm small, did resemble luggage when I tried on in store. I did not take the bag out of the box, I pulled the bag out a little to take the key off and put it back in the box. That was it.
Fast forward to today when I drove another hour and 15 minutes to exchange the bag. There were two ladies working in the store. The lady I spoke to first was the one who sold me my bag. She listened to my story and took out the bag to examine it. She examined with a fine tooth comb, fine whatever. Then she pointed to the handle and said there was a red spot on it. I told her I did NOT USE THE BAG. THEN she looked all around inside and said there looked like there was sparkly makeup kind of stuff in it. I was floored. I had not even used the bag much less put anything in it. Long story short she got the 35 out and got it all ready for me and asked me to join her at the register. On the way over, she saw her co-sales person and told her the story and said "what should we do?" and the other lady turned to me and said "we can't sell this bag now so we can't take it back." I told her my defense, this time a big louder but still patiently. After debating for a few minutes she said "well I will go in the back and see if I can get it out, if not, we can't take it, if we can, we will take it back." The two ladies scurried off to the back and were back there for about 10 minutes while I stood out in front feeling like a criminal and a liar. They came back out and said she got the spot out and would do my return. So in the end, they returned my bag. But I felt humiliated in a sense. And embarrassed, and awkward. Even though I had not done a thing wrong. I read about what a nightmare returns/exchanges can be at LV so I went in with a bit of nervousness anyway but I had no idea. I know when they say that "they can't sell the bag now" they expect you to then back down and say "Oh okay, I understand." but if you hold your ground, especially if the sales people seem a bit insecure with what they're saying, you may be more successful.

I think the LV return policy should be explicitly stated somewhere so you know what to expect. I can't believe I was treated like that, I was EXCHANGING the bag not returning it. It's not their bag so what does it matter all that much to them? I know for a fact when I buy my next LV, I will be doing it online. They definitely lost out on the business of someone who would be purchasing more LV's in the future.

Thank you for listening and allowing me to vent.

Reactions: Nidot and lemondln
Wow! :shocked: I am so sorry to read your experience. I am glad you got an exchange though and I hope you enjoy your smaller Speedy. I guess I am glad I never needed to exchange any of my purchases...yet. :shrugs:

I hope despite the experience you've had that you will enjoy your 35. I have a Speedy 35 too and it's the perfect size for all my stuff.

Wow! :shocked: I am so sorry to read your experience. I am glad you got an exchange though and I hope you enjoy your smaller Speedy. I guess I am glad I never needed to exchange any of my purchases...yet. :shrugs:

I hope despite the experience you've had that you will enjoy your 35. I have a Speedy 35 too and it's the perfect size for all my stuff.

Oh don't worry, that experience won't drive me away from future LV purchases! :biggrin: I just no better for next time to be absolutely positively sure that I'm getting what I want the first time. I just think LV should just say no returns period, because that is what they MEAN.

wow that's crazy! i'm so sorry! i feel your pain dear because just about all my bags/clothes are designer so they are relatively expensive so when i want 2 return something i DON'T expect a hassle @ all! i have'nt purchased a luis vuitton as of yet (can't make up my mind) but hearing this makes me shaky...

I am glad you are enjoying your new Speedy and this place is great for communicating and sharing your experiences. I already anticipate the concept of LV from other peoples' experiences here. That way, I have to really really really make sure I want it before I get the item. Most cases, that has worked out to my benefit.

wow that's crazy! i'm so sorry! i feel your pain dear because just about all my bags/clothes are designer so they are relatively expensive so when i want 2 return something i DON'T expect a hassle @ all! i have'nt purchased a luis vuitton as of yet (can't make up my mind) but hearing this makes me shaky...

Thanks for listening! Just make sure you have exactly what you are for SURE that you want because I know that my experience has been had by several others. I've read some horror stories! ;)

^^^^^^but i have to agree with op that they should not have a return policy at all if they are gonna give u a hard time when u return an item....i understand that as a retailer u would go in the poor house accepting every item that a customer does not want but after a brief inspection if the item is in fairly unused condition it should'nt be an issue...further more she only wanted an exchange they should'nt have carried her through all that....

Thats sad that you had to endure all of that drama. I don't understand why some SA's are like that. I've taken a purse back that I had for over a week with no questions asked, I doubt they even really looked at it, so it bothers me when I hear stories like this. Enjoy your new Speedy and next time find a different boutique to buy your purse.

sorry that happened....its sad, but it seems like it happens to ppl all the time. Regardless, congrats on ur NEW speedy 35! i think it was a great decision to exchange it from the 40. just enjoy your new bag and go to a different location for your next purchase :smile:

Wow. So sorry...I have never had any issues exchanging anything. They didn't even inspect anything I brought in for exchange. I'm happy that it all worked out for you in the end. Enjoy your new Speedy 35!

Wow.. they're so mean! I would be terrified! Next time just go there to try how what you want to get, then go home & order online! I've done that & had no problem exchanging items at LV boutique. Enjoy your new speedy & good luck!!!

Reactions: Mtnbrookie