Pantene's Beautiful Lengths vs. Locks of Love -- which is better?

aklein

Dec 30, 2007
I did a quick search and only found threads from people that have donated to Locks of Love. About three years ago, I donated to Locks of Love. I am ready to make the big chop again.
I recently read some things about Locks of Love not using most of the hair that is donated to the organization. In fact, they end up just throwing out or selling most of it. I have no problem with them selling hair that they do not use, but it seems that the money is not being donated to cancer research. Rather they are keeping the money.
Has anyone donated to Pantene's Beautiful Lengths program and what were your experiences.
Thanks for your help!

Locks of Love has a lot of controversy surrounding it. I wouldn't go near it.

I haven't heard much about Pantene's Beautiful Lengths, but if I had a choice between just those two, I would pick Pantene's Beautiful Lengths just because Locks of Love is so shady.

Oh no! This makes me really sad, because I've donated several feet since I graduated high scool. I should do some research about Pantene's program. I heard some things about them not using some of it but I didn't know they were selling it and pocketing the money.

Would be very sad to know that donated hair would not be used for what it

was intended for and some other purpose.

Would try to do research on this and if you come up with any info, please

pass it along. Thanks and thanks for thinking of others that are not as fortunate

as many of us are.

I donated to Pantene's program maybe 2-3 years ago, but never heard back from them, despite providing them with the info they desired. That was kind of a bummer, I'll admit. I think that whatever program you choose to go with, though--it is really a nice, sacrificial donation of your hair and effort, and hopefully your contribution will help others consider donating also. Just my $0.02 :smile:

Sorry don't know much about either of them, but few years ago when my Mother got sick we went to a place in Manhatten to get a custom wig for her. The founder is named Joseph Paris,

www.josephparis.com/aboutjosephparis.asp

very nice man, he does very high end hair pieces for stars etc. (he made all of the hair pieces for Frank Sinatra, after he passed his family gave them back, he has them on display it's kind of creepy)

But... he does make amazing wigs for cancer patients and I know in some cases he will make them custom fit for free. I donated a large virgin braid my mom had been saving since my first hair cut ever when I was about 11. I would definately look him up, he was wonderful with my Mom at such a hard time, and had us cracking up when he stuck a little hair hat on my poor husband.

Would be very sad to know that donated hair would not be used for what it

was intended for and some other purpose.

Would try to do research on this and if you come up with any info, please

pass it along. Thanks and thanks for thinking of others that are not as fortunate

as many of us are.

Yeah, I did do my research and that is where I came across what I mentioned in my original post. I didn't see anything about the Pantene program and I do not know anyone that has donated through them. That's why I asked about other's experiences.

Ilovechanelbags -- are you talking about just the name and address that they ask you to send along? That stinks that they don't send a little postcard or something saying they received your donation.

Raquelly and Grayxie -- thank you for suggesting those other organizations. I will definitely look into them.

Yeah, I did do my research and that is where I came across what I mentioned in my original post. I didn't see anything about the Pantene program and I do not know anyone that has donated through them. That's why I asked about other's experiences.

Ilovechanelbags -- are you talking about just the name and address that they ask you to send along? That stinks that they don't send a little postcard or something saying they received your donation.

Raquelly and Grayxie -- thank you for suggesting those other organizations. I will definitely look into them.

^Yes, I sent the name, address, and a separate note asking for confirmation of receipt of my donation, but no such luck from Pantene! That was a bummer, but it's ok. I still think it was worth trying. And my hair grew back ;)

wow that makes me sad to hear that about L.O.L. Me and my sister both grew our hair out and donated it to them about 5 years ago. Thats horrible if they really are selling the hair and pocketing the money.

I've never donated my hair again, I kept it short for the past 3-4 years and am now growing it out, I want my long hair back lol. I really miss it from when it was as long as right before I cut it 5 years ago!

I hope you find another place that will take your donated hair and actually make it into a wig for a child versus doing what L.O.L. has done!

Hi there,

I am also wanting to donate my hair. I have fairly long and healthy hair. My hair is down to my waist and since I've been wanting to chop it off for a while, I figure I might as well donate my hair for a good cause.

I would love to hear what everyone has to say about the Pantene program. I've heard a lot of controversy with the Locks of Love and want to steer clear from them too.