Plastic Tape On Hardware: Leave On/off??

Ok I am the total loser here...I take off the plastic on the straps immediately because they start to peel...but am guilty of leaving it on the center piece (it is not visible from more than 2-3 feet away...on...gulp...a 6 year old birkin...the possibility of discoloration is alarming though and I may need to bite the bullet in light of this information. Only my most recent acquisition came w/ plastic on the feet...none of the previous ones did. I feel like someone who has plastic on their living room furniture and am not proud of this admission.

When I got my first Hermes bag (my black 35 cm clemence Kelly), I left the plastic on, then I visited my local Hermes. All the SAs told me how great my bag was, but then the last one asked to take a close look because he "noticed something". The store craftsperson happened to enter the room, and she looked at my bag, too. The SA mentioned that it was his "pet peeve" to have customers leave the plastic on, and the craftsperson said taht it was not good to do so for the reasons stated above.

I wore my birkin right out of the store...so plastic was removed before it was even "officially" mine (LOL...after the plastic was removed from the box...before I signed the receipt)...

Ok I am the total loser here...I take off the plastic on the straps immediately because they start to peel...but am guilty of leaving it on the center piece (it is not visible from more than 2-3 feet away...on...gulp...a 6 year old birkin...the possibility of discoloration is alarming though and I may need to bite the bullet in light of this information. Only my most recent acquisition came w/ plastic on the feet...none of the previous ones did. I feel like someone who has plastic on their living room furniture and am not proud of this admission.

wow you where able to keep the plastic on for 6 years. that's amazing. I thought that it will evntually fall off by itself with in 6 weeks.

wow you where able to keep the plastic on for 6 years. that's amazing. I thought that it will evntually fall off by itself with in 6 weeks.

The bag was right next to me as I was typing the above. I think it is because I don't touch that part of the bag, and the bag came with the plastic firmly adherely in a way it was pretty invisible? It was my first Birkin and it is possible I didn't even notice the plastic until a long while later...
I caught on early that the metal guides were scratching the hardware on the straps so I never close my Birkins (flap in or out) and I don't feed the straps through the guides. Am still embarrassed about all of this. I might have to go look now at all the bags and assess how bad a plastic situation I've got going on here.

P.S...re: falling off in 6 weeks, had not heard that...sounds kind of like a steri-strip! :roflmfao:

ha ha... Sorry I was just implying that 6 years is a long time. I thought that the plastic would have felt of by the ware and tear in less than 6 weeks, less alone 6 years.

If mine was stuck on so good like yours and I knew that it will stick on for 6 years, I would have left it on.

Now the question is...are you going to take it off?:wtf: the plastic on your hw I mean.:yahoo:

ha ha... Sorry I was just implying that 6 years is a long time. I thought that the plastic would have felt of by the ware and tear in less than 6 weeks, less alone 6 years.

If mine was stuck on so good like yours and I knew that it will stick on for 6 years, I would have left it on.

Now the question is...are you going to take it off?:wtf: the plastic on your hw I mean.:yahoo:

uhhhh...:shame:

I'm the loser around here.

I leave the plastic on until the peeling corners become so unsightly and embarrassing that I am forced to take them off. Then I stick them into a little notebook and label them.

:wtf: :roflmfao: YOUR SICK!!!!! I take it off as soon as i bring it home, then I stick it onto the raincoat pkg. I have saved every single tape piece.