What is the most anyone has paid in customs for an LV bag

Iluvbags

The original Iluvbags
O.G.
Oct 18, 2005
I want to buy a bag from an international seller that is a slight bit under retail. But I'm terrified about paying customs. i'm afraid they might charge so much that it won't be worth it.

What are your experiences? I live in the US and the bag is over $1K

You could find the customs website for your country which should tell you the percentage they charge.( I only know the one for here.)
In this country we are even taxed on the postage:cursing: so be careful you don't end up being charged heaps.

OK, I made THE STUPIDEST mistake EVER once asking the seller to decalre the full value of the bag for customs (the bag was being shipped FedEx from US to Canada). I paid $735.00 Canadian in duties!:cursing: NEVER AGAIN!!! If something is shipped to me via FedEx (IMO, THE MOST reliable courier), I ask the shipper to decalre $50.00 (gift allowance for Canada) and mark it UNSOLISITED GIFT! I've received numerous packages like that and never had any problems (it slides past customs like a charm)!

I want to buy a bag from an international seller that is a slight bit under retail. But I'm terrified about paying customs. i'm afraid they might charge so much that it won't be worth it.

What are your experiences? I live in the US and the bag is over $1K

If it its slightly under retail, why don't you just get it from the boutique? Unless it is discontinued of course.

I'm not 100% sure but I think customs do random checks on undeclared items. A friend of mine sent a book from overseas to my son as a birthday gift. I received it a month after she sent it and there was a stamp on the package saying it had been opened by customs. Obviously I didn't get charged any tax because it was only a book.

OK, I made THE STUPIDEST mistake EVER once asking the seller to decalre the full value of the bag for customs (the bag was being shipped FedEx from US to Canada). I paid $735.00 Canadian in duties!:cursing: NEVER AGAIN!!! If something is shipped to me via FedEx (IMO, THE MOST reliable courier), I ask the shipper to decalre $50.00 (gift allowance for Canada) and mark it UNSOLISITED GIFT! I've received numerous packages like that and never had any problems (it slides past customs like a charm)!

I do the same thing! $1-50 seems to the be the "green" zone for customs declaration. I was once warned by a seller that she couldn't decalre full value, else I would end up paying. Ever since then, I always ask for just declaring the amounts above. :yes:

I do the same thing! $1-50 seems to the be the "green" zone for customs declaration. I was once warned by a seller that she couldn't decalre full value, else I would end up paying. Ever since then, I always ask for just declaring the amounts above. :yes:

Thanks. Maybe I'll try that.