Why did Louis vuitton stop treating the vachetta leather?

some of the older vintage bags have the carmel color cowhide treated leather, I have an vintage Papillon that has this type of leather. I have taken to LV to get the handles replaced but they no longer use this type of leather, I wish they did, it does not show dirt or water marks

Vintage items made by the French Company for LV used a treated smooth-grain leather or pigskin (really!). LV used a treated smooth-grain leather and a treated cross-grain leather for the Mono Papillon (until about 2003/2004 for the latter), then they were made with untreated vachetta like the other Mono items.

Vintage items made by the French Company for LV used a treated smooth-grain leather or pigskin (really!). LV used a treated smooth-grain leather and a treated cross-grain leather for the Mono Papillon (until about 2003/2004 for the latter), then they were made with untreated vachetta like the other Mono items.

My first LV was a French Company Speedy 35 back in late 1980. Ohhhhhhh I am telling my age!!!
:nuts:

At the time, they were offering the untreated vachetta, but I didn't want it because was afraid of the leather becoming dirty.

I still have and carry that bag to this day, and with a couple of dings here and there, she looks brand new.

Well the untreated vachetta looks more feminine but I guess the treated dark-coloured ones are more practical..

:thinking:

I have a Damier Azur manufactured in 2008. I wonder if thats the treated or untreated leather? Anyone..?

I think they don't treat the vachetta anymore to cut production costs & garner more profits. :sad: Lots of companies are doing this nowadays.

as far as i understand you cant just take the cow cut it up and its untreated vachetta, vachetta still requires some sort of processing and special treatment. cheap "genuine" leather does not patina. i would be shocked if vachetta did not require as much treatment as other kinds of leather LV sells.

^^ Replacing handles could be $100 but you have to ask in a LV store..

Also, have you tried alcohol-free baby wipes to see if the handles could be cleaned?

g/l