Travel LV Luggage - Check In - ?

bebelastrange

Sep 27, 2008
Seriously considering why we have these gorge/perfect... yet pointless vintage Softside luggage?
My hubby got these way back when... Traveling was done in style... When they didn't treat you luggage like worthless garbage... People dressed clean and nice on flight...
Its been 15 years since we used the small one and forget about the big one! Yet knowing all this we cannot part with them. Maybe someday we will fly private and wish we kept them? Plus re-sale value will stink...
What should we do?
xxB
PS- I wish LV could take all this canvas & leather and make me 5 new handbags!!! Thats what i see then i look at those dinos =(

picture.php

Sounds like you've considered both sides. You know that any commercial airline will thrash or lose them. At the same point, why have luggage you can't use? Resale value will be limited, but I'd check it out if you could get something that would offer you more use/value.

You might be able to find a reasonable high-end consignment store where you could roll over the sale into bags or other things you would actually use. Alternately, could you use the luggage as funky/cool storage in a guest room or study? Just a thought. They're lovely pieces.

Sounds like you've considered both sides. You know that any commercial airline will thrash or lose them. At the same point, why have luggage you can't use? Resale value will be limited, but I'd check it out if you could get something that would offer you more use/value.

You might be able to find a reasonable high-end consignment store where you could roll over the sale into bags or other things you would actually use. Alternately, could you use the luggage as funky/cool storage in a guest room or study? Just a thought. They're lovely pieces.

Definitely! Or save them for when you travel by car/boat?

Even though I saw some old LV luggage turned into coffee tables, I seriously doubt that I would even attempt it, but you could still use these pieces for travel over land. We all got so spoiled when some genius invented wheels and pull out handles on luggage, though. Anyway, those are truly gorgeous pieces.

i'd totally save them... maybe use them as deco pieces ard the house or someting.. hehe

yes me too! i just came from a flight last weekend and yes, the commercial flight operators are STILL mistreating bags! lol! nothing changed! sigh..

you have gorgeous vintage pieces! i would treasure them and not use them, unless these luggages will be in my control 100%. These airline operators will abuse them!

Personally, I do check my bags...although they are hard sided. Yes, they get scuffed and banged a bit...but, I think that adds to their charm and history...it is luggage and meant to be used.

You can consider gate checking them...where they put them on last and are first off and picked up at the gate.

^^ I don't think you're supposed to rely on gate-checking as a standard airline practice. In my experience, it only works when your bag is the appropriate size to be carried on, but the flight is full.

I can't tell if these bags are the approved size from the photo. If they are too big, the OP wouldn't even be able to bring them through security, much less gate check them.

^^ I don't think you're supposed to rely on gate-checking as a standard airline practice. In my experience, it only works when your bag is the appropriate size to be carried on, but the flight is full.

I can't tell if these bags are the approved size from the photo. If they are too big, the OP wouldn't even be able to bring them through security, much less gate check them.

These two are def not carry-on! Not even worth risking a gamble!

thanks tPFers,
i made my final decision... i'm gonna keep these guys!!! they are vintage & not even made anymore & perfect condition.
i think if we ever do a road trip or fly private (finger crossed) we will be so glad we kept them.
how glam to pull these suckers out at the ritz !

xxb

I've seen a lot of people carry their LV luggage with them (Cruises, plane trips) and they were fine. My SIL and brother own a Keepall and they had no problems with checking it in. I also saw a family carry a LV carryall and a Keepall with them on a Cruise too. But hey, whatever floats your boat.