Best shoes for travelling

Mininana

Dino <3
O.G.
Jul 10, 2008
Hello! :smile: I am wondering what the best shoes for travelling are? NOT sneakers, but rather shoes that don't look too dressed down.

when I travel, I TRAVEL. That means, lots of walking involved, at least 6 to 8 hours a day.

I've tried them all. My cole haan nike airs are too flat and have no arch support after a couple hours. The wedge boots and booties are too high and my ball of foot hurt after a couple hours. Plus being about 2 1/2 inches tall are not practical for walking all day.

I've tried birkenstocks. Now those are good but it's going to be cold when I travel and I don't want freezing toes.

Also, no clogs please, I tend to kick those out and have very embarrassing moments.

And well, up to now, sneakers have been my faithful travel shoes but I don't like being looked down when I shop at high end stores. Of course they treat me well and everything but not as well as when I'm back home and fully dressed up u know?

Thank you!!!

I would suggest Tods shoes. They look more like shoes than sneakers. They're pretty comfortable, with good support if you want to do a lot of walking. It's rubber sole at the bottom so it's easier to walk in any surface.

I would choose a pair of comfortable flats. Tory Burch Revas worked pretty well for me. I walked in them all day long while visiting Hong Kong to shop shop shop.

I've heard good things about Munro shoes. They aren't the prettiest or most fashionable shoes, but my mom swears by them for walking. I think Nordstrom carries them.

if the cole haan air flats are too flat for you, you may want to try Taryn Rose. i haven't bought one in a long while, but the ones i owned had actual arch support. they were super comfy as well because the toe box was designed to not squish your toes but still look stylish. i hear taryn rose is a foot doctor, so the shoes she designs show more respect for feet than other designers (and that includes my beloved lanvin!)

you may also try puma or camper. they have pretty, stylish sneakers (i.e. good colors and not clunky). or you can wear old school adidas or nike running shoes. they're sleek (designed before the sneakers good really high tech and clunky) yet give cushioning and some support. they've had a resurgence lately and are readily available at nordstrom in some interesting colors. (i saw one in blue with yellow swoosh that is the exactly like the ones i wore in elementary school!!!) they're cute with slim pants/jeans or capris the way michelle ***** wears them.

Thank you ladies for all of your info!!!

Plain Jane Doe: u are SO SWEET!! :biggrin: the reason why I said no clogs is because I'm always scared of kicking them off my feet!! *insert awkward smile here*

I've looked at the pricey Puma shoes as well as Adidas by Stella McCartney but I don't want to be highend shopping and people thinking I'm wearing the regular $50 sneakers u know?

I've looked at taryn rose and that's a great line.. :smile: Pricey but looks good.

Tried the Tory burch flats and while I love them ANYTHING that has an elastic in the back ends up digging my heels. SIGH.

I think I might go with the $200+ puma sneakers and get some nice expensive flats for the special days I might go shopping. :smile:

but if you have any other suggestions keep them coming!!! :biggrin:

For moderate priced shoes I would check out Biviel (available at Nordstrom and also endless.com).

Not the sexiest shoes ever, but from what I can see they seem to offer reasonably a variety of stylish (but comfortable) shoes at a decent price.

What about chanel flats, they're super comfy because the leather is soft, and their flats has an arch support so that your feet is not so flat on the ground. I walk for 3/4 hours on the marble floor of the shopping mall, no pain at all.

If you find sneakers the most comfortable...how about dressier ones? I have a pair of black patent leather and silver metallic sneakers that are comfortable yet look dressy. There are a lot of brands that offer a range of dressy sneakers.

Plain Jane Doe: u are SO SWEET!! :biggrin: the reason why I said no clogs is because I'm always scared of kicking them off my feet!! *insert awkward smile here*

Thank you! Sorry, I forgot to come back for a bit! But since you didn't say NO clogs a second time I will go ahead and put in my pitch for Danskos.

I find them to be very secure on my feet. My heels flip in and out, but that is normal, and they are secure in the front. I would think you'd have to be really kicking to get them off!

I just thought of Danskos on every point you mentioned in your original post--

when I travel, I TRAVEL. That means, lots of walking involved, at least 6 to 8 hours a day.

I wore Danskos walking at least 6 and up to 14 hours a day during a month of travel, and they were as comfortable as you could ask for for that much walking. They also kind of rock your foot forward in a way that takes a few days to get used to but really makes walking seem easier.

I've tried them all. My cole haan nike airs are too flat and have no arch support after a couple hours. The wedge boots and booties are too high and my ball of foot hurt after a couple hours. Plus being about 2 1/2 inches tall are not practical for walking all day.

These have good arch support, and while they are high (2 3/4"), it's an even platform except for the forward-rocking part and very comfy. They also don't look as high as they are because part of the platform is covered on the outside. So if you are a shorty like me, it doesn't look like you are cheating and compensating ;)

I've tried birkenstocks. Now those are good but it's going to be cold when I travel and I don't want freezing toes.

Close-toed with room for thick socks!

Also, no clogs please, I tend to kick those out and have very embarrassing moments.

Here is where I thought, oh no! :sad:

And well, up to now, sneakers have been my faithful travel shoes but I don't like being looked down when I shop at high end stores. Of course they treat me well and everything but not as well as when I'm back home and fully dressed up u know?

Clogs are not the most stylish things at all. But I only wore my low-key brown clogs with boot-cut or wide-leg pants, so basically you see the front of the shoes and they would look pretty nondescript and were mistaken sometimes for boots.

But really, they are very secure! I wore mine for seven years before putting holes through the leather, and I even ran in them (late to class) quite a bit. So I think they are worth trying on :smile: Hope that helps!