Travel I need some tips on how to make it through my loooong flight! *uneasy flier here :( *

divadivine682

~lots of love~
O.G.
Feb 17, 2008
Hi all! DH and I are leaving in 9 days (:yahoo:) for our honeymoon to Maui and im psyched but heres the kicker: I'm terrified of flying! Not only that but our flight is from New York all the way to Honolulu! 10+ hours in the air and I couldn't get to my doctor in time to get a prescription for a valium or anything (so a sedative is out of the question in this case.). Other than the 'scared' factor, I was hoping some of you out there that have lots of experience of a long flight (sitting in coach no less...but working on getting 1st class...) could give me some tips on how to survive without dying of boredom or a flat butt. Oh yeah! I broke my tailbone a while back and still have pain with it so this flight should be interesting (Im bringing my butt-pillow with me though:P) . Any games or ideas to pass the time without throwing myself off the flight? LOL Thanks so much!

Make sure you get up every couple of hours to walk around...get your blood flowing to your legs. Bring calming music and just relax. I know you're scared, but there's absolutely no reason to be. Flying is safer than any other mode of transportation, so if you haven't kicked the bucket from driving, you're not gonna kick it when flying. Besides, the best way to overcome a phobia is desensitization, meaning confronting it head on. Just have the mindset that this is when you're going to overcome your fear of flying. Look at this as a time of empowerment as opposed to fear.

Ag ree with walking COMPLETELY.
A few years ago I had to fly to Hong Kong (it about something like 18-22 hours, I forget exactly) but I found the best way to get through it was to have a variety of thing to do.
I had my laptop so I brought a season of House, I had a fashion mags and a pen (so I could pretend shop) and I brought some school work.
I found that it was very hard to concentrate on school/read so I ended up just watching House for most of the trip.
If you don' have a laptop, maybe pick up a portable DVD player (I've seen them for pretty cheap) and a comfortable pair of earphone.
ALSO BRING YOUR OWN SNACKS because sometimes it can get hard to find someone to help you if the flight is crowded/busy/etc. I also really like to sit on the aisle seat because sometimes I feel a little claustrophobic when I can't get out so if flying stresses you out, maybe that's something you could try too.

Good luck!

Last edited:
close the window shutter so that you won't look out.
try watching the movies if they have it, or use your laptop and do some work-i know, i know, work on a honeymoon, but if your mind "thinks" that you're doing work(ssomething u do regularly), u might be able to shut out the thought that u're on a plane.

Thank you so much for your responses! I do have some things I've prepared for the flight like my jewelry...I make jewelry and have a wedding party order to work on so I've decided to bring that with me. I checked the TSA website in regards to my tools I need (pliers, wire cutters, etc...) and even printed it out to bring with me incase they say its not allowed (the specific items I use ARE allowed as per their website). Some things I have in line up are:
-a box of granola bars and a box of ritz/peanut butter cracker things (for DH and I)
-my Ipod touch
-materials for my jewelry (that should take up some time)
-uno card game for DH and I
-the portable dvd player was a great idea and since we have one, consider that on the list now! :smile:
-our "hawaii for dummies" book :P
-a bag of blow pops (i have a major sweet tooth and it should help with take off and landing pressure)

I think that's all I have so far....

Bring some book, that you've seen the movie, and read. Last time I read The Godfather, and Anna Karenina. (sp?) Take cold medicine, and try to relax. I understand how you feel. I hate to fly. But, you'll be fine.

One word:

Ativan.

I am a TERRIBLY nervous flyer; I myself just returned from Ireland about a week ago. Any time I have a flight without my kids, I call my doctor and just ask for a few (like 5) pills, just to get me there and back.....Ativan will totally relax you but will not make you all loopy--I couldn't survive without it!

Thank you so much for your responses! I do have some things I've prepared for the flight like my jewelry...I make jewelry and have a wedding party order to work on so I've decided to bring that with me. I checked the TSA website in regards to my tools I need (pliers, wire cutters, etc...) and even printed it out to bring with me incase they say its not allowed (the specific items I use ARE allowed as per their website). Some things I have in line up are:
-a box of granola bars and a box of ritz/peanut butter cracker things (for DH and I)
-my Ipod touch
-materials for my jewelry (that should take up some time)
-uno card game for DH and I
-the portable dvd player was a great idea and since we have one, consider that on the list now! :smile:
-our "hawaii for dummies" book :P
-a bag of blow pops (i have a major sweet tooth and it should help with take off and landing pressure)

I think that's all I have so far....

Funny, I bought a bag of blow pops before my flight to New York a few months ago, I hope you and DH have a wonderful vacation and tell us the details when you come back! :nuts:

My airplane survival kit (for my countless trips across the country): gum for when my ears begin popping, magazines/books/kindle for when i can't sleep, snacks like almonds and granola bars and water, and BENADRYL. if I time it right, I'm knocked out after the beverage cart makes its round. :biggrin: Best way to make the time go by.

I love my Kindle, and drag it everywhere.... Perfect for reading on those long flights.

If you just want to lie back and listen, I suggest putting some audiobooks on your iPod.... Though I generally hear about 20 minutes worth and am then fast asleep. :P

Take 2 NyQuil pills and you should be able to sleep for a good portion of the flight.

I often had to endure long flights to Asia and what I do is take 2-3 books and magazines with me to read. Sometimes I play sudoku for a little bit too. And once my eyes get tired, I just go right to sleep. Bringing your MP3 player along and play some calming music is an added bonus.