Sac-a-depeche question!

Rouge*

O.G.
Jul 18, 2008
Hello everyone,

I have a question about the Sac-a-depeche briefcase. My DH has recently bought one from Hermes Harrods. After he got back home with the bag he looked at the stamp and it was a D stamp (year 2000). He was upset that the bag he got was sitting for nine years at the store instead of getting a bag that was recently made.

What would you guys do? return? (if they do accept) exchange? He's not sure what to do and would appreciate your feedback.

Does anyone know the policy of the Hermes store at Harrods?

Thanks again
Rouge*

Last edited:
If it's the bag he likes in the combination he likes I don't see the problem. There's an argument that H quality now is not as good as it was then. I would keep it and enjoy it for many years to come.

I don't know about a discount - but I would definitely be annoyed (better quality or not) - if I spent that kind of money on a bag that had been sitting there for 9 years. It sounds like the bag is perfectly fine aside from that - but it would just rub me the wrong way. I think he should speak to the SA and express his concern!

Okay IMO: Here is the thing
H-Quality was better before; I think we all agree on that.
But that said I too would be "beaked" by paying NEW prices for an older
bag. He had a right to know that BEFORE he bought. It is true he could have looked at the stamp,
but I have never looked at a date stamp before I bought either.
I just never think of it at the time.
If it were me I would go back and request a new bag. Perhaps he can then compare them? I guess if I buy NEW I want NEW.
If I buy otherwise, I want to know that at the time.

Also, if he decides to keep it, have the leather looked at by a craftsperson. It may have dried out, and need a COMPLIMENTARY spa treatment. Despite the differences in quality, it would have been prudent for the SM or SA to make sure your DH was aware that this was new old stock, so to speak.

What is the leather, by the way...?