So who's responsible for this..?

hi all.

so i send something out with priority mail with insurance and signature confirmation. i copied and pasted the address that was confirmed on the paypal receipt in big bold font, so the postman would not accidentally read a 9 as a 4 or something (happened before, mail was lost). ok, so now the package is undeliverable to addressed and is being returned to me.

the shipping cost included on ebay was actually less than the actual amount, which i ended up putting an additional $6 in.

so i went and checked out the address on the usps.com website (dumb me, should have done so earlier). and it turns out the confirmed address on paypal has a misspelling.

now if i send the package back to her when i receive it, i will have to pay for shipping with insurance and sig. con. again.

so who's responsible for this shipping charges? because it wasn't cheap. help anyone...

Well, you can call PP and verify, but I THINK the BUYER would have been the one to INPUT her address into her PP account. SO, IMO, she made the spelling mistake. AND, for your protection as a seller, she needs to CORRECT this in PP before you ship again, so that you ARE shipping to the PP address.

Call PP and find out what else you might need to do/verify b4 you ship again. You DO need an accurate, correct, confirmed address.

I think you should contact Paypal and let them know that there is

a misspelling on the address that they give as being confirmed.

If they have made the error, you should ask them for reimbursement for charges

and also tell the representative to look at the address they they have on record.

You had no way of knowing that the address wasn't correct.

I think you should contact Paypal and let them know that there is

a misspelling on the address that they give as being confirmed.

If they have made the error, you should ask them for reimbursement for charges

and also tell the representative to look at the address they they have on record.

You had no way of knowing that the address wasn't correct.

^^Agree with this, Hotshot. OP, get on the phone with PP and stay on there until they fix this! This is THEIR mistake (or the seller's for not putting the right spelling in their confirmed PP address) It is not your mistake and you should not have to pay for shipping twice.

Did you make the shipping label through paypal? Sometimes my buyers put int he wrong address and i try to print through paypal and they tell me that uSPS doesn't recognize the address and therefore cannot make a label.

hi all,

so i talked to paypal. and like Ellie Mae's post, the rep told me when i receive the bag, i should refund her, ask her to correct her shipping address, confirm it, and then resend the payment, and that i should request for the additional shipping fee.

so how exactly do i go about telling her that? i don't know how to word it. afraid the buyer thinking i'm a pain.

and now i have to wait to call again, because if i refund, do i refund in full or just partial, since i already used the shipping fee? bleh. :confused1:

Leeleerae: no, i didn't ship through paypal. i just copied and pasted the confirmed address from the receipt. i once printed a label, and it turned out the postman accidentally read the number 9 as 4 and delivered it to the wrong address. so i printed out in big, bold font this time. uh, bad move... *sigh

Hotshot & mmmsc: nope, the rep told me they are not responsible for that. they confirm the address that's the billing info on the cc or bank. the problem about the additional shipping fees need to be discussed between the buyer and me. the rep couldn't help me on that.

thanks evry1 for help and info. now, i'm hoping the bag actually returns to me first.

now if the bag doesn't get returned to me, can i file the insurance claim?

Well... I think that we need to think about this....

You can email her and advise her that "whatever item" that she purchased from you on Ebay on "whatever date" is being returned to you as "address undeliverable" and that PP has advised that if she still wishes to purchase the item, then she needs to correct her address in her PP account, and get it confirmed. Then once the item is received back by you, you can refund her the item price (less original shipping) and re-invoice her thru PP for item price plus 2nd shipping fee.

If she does NOT want the item, then once the item is received by you, you will refund her the original item price LESS the PP and ebay fees that YOU were charged.

I THINK. I feel like I am confusing myself...??:nuts:

There seem to be a lot of people with old or misspelled addresses on Ebay. I think it's always a good idea to send an email to the buyer to confirm the address before shipping the product. Some people google the address to see if it exists. It's still the buyer's fault for having an address with errors. Just be honest with her and explain what happened. Tell her that you have talked to PayPal and this is what you have to do. She should pay for shipping twice, not you, because she was at fault for having an address with errors. If she doesn't want to, then try to get her to agree to a mutual withdrawal so that you get your sale fees back.

Well... I think that we need to think about this....

You can email her and advise her that "whatever item" that she purchased from you on Ebay on "whatever date" is being returned to you as "address undeliverable" and that PP has advised that if she still wishes to purchase the item, then she needs to correct her address in her PP account, and get it confirmed. Then once the item is received back by you, you can refund her the item price (less original shipping) and re-invoice her thru PP for item price plus 2nd shipping fee.

If she does NOT want the item, then once the item is received by you, you will refund her the original item price LESS the PP and ebay fees that YOU were charged.

I THINK. I feel like I am confusing myself...??:nuts:

HM... and add to this the great possibility of a 3rd shipping fee.. the fee to RETURN the item to OP.....

Did you ever explain what was going on to the buyer? they might be will to just send oyu the extra shipping money to reship and then you wont have to go through the process of refunding and redoing the transaction. Just shoot them a very nice email, something like this:

Hi There!
I mailed your item on XXX date to the address that was provided to me in the transaction details by eBay. Unfortunately, the address that you gave to eBay had an error in it and your package was returned to me as undeliverable.
I would like to resolve this situation as soon as possible!
I spoke with paypal, and there are two ways we can work this out:
1) you can send me X amount of $ so that I can reship the package to you at the correct address (after you fix it in your ebay or paypal account).
2) we can agree to cancel this transaction and I will refund your original payment minus what was used to ship the item.
Please let me know what you would like to do!
Best,
XXXX

I would email her and let her know what's going on and to change her address so she can get it right and then advise it would be an additional $$ to ship it a second time and hopefully she'll PP you the money.

I have some concern about "just re-shipping".... I think the POINT of refunding and having the buyer re-pay is so that the buyer can correct her address, get the new address confirmed and THEN re-pay, so that the seller would then be shipping to the confirmed address on the PP transaction page. Which would help the seller KEEP her seller protection.
I think if the seller just re-ships to a diff address without following the procedure above, she will have no seller protection... she would be shipping to an address NOT on the PP transaction page.