Help! what should I do to restore my Sky Blue twiggy

ayana

Mar 12, 2008

I got my pre-loved sky blue twiggy from ebay about 2 years ago, and carry it with a lot of cautions. However, start from months ago, my hubby told me the leather is dry and maybe we should moisture it a little bit, and I also noticed the color of the top part of the bag is so different from the bottom (or the mirror) part, that's why I start to search self dye at TPF.

After some study I got Tarrago self shine product online and tried to DIY at home. But before that, I ran a little test on the corner of the mirror leather (check the pic I attached below). We noticed the color was like a 'coat' sit on top of the leather -- it just cover everything including the veins. It looks like it change the texture, and even the tassel changes.

Now I am a little hesitate to apply this self dye stuff on the whole bag -- I don't want it change to a different bag!

Now I read about LMB and Barbara, and will shot her an email tonight, but would also to hear some advice from you wonderful ladies!

This bag has a dark handle and the top part of the bag discolored a great deal -- a handle clean job and leather conditioning are needed of course, but, do I need a re-dye job in this case?

Attachments

• _SAC0116.JPG
    _SAC0116.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 307
  • _SAC0119.JPG
    _SAC0119.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 334
  • RIMG0006.jpg
    RIMG0006.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 308
  • RIMG0010.jpg
    RIMG0010.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 275
  • RIMG0003.jpg
    RIMG0003.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 276
She will probably be able to tell you if she thinks cleaning alone will bring the color back. My guess is that it is faded rather than dirty, but I could be wrong.

It was smart of you to test the dye first. At least if you have LMB dye the bag, it will look nice when they are finished. I don't know how much the texture changes when they dye bags, but I'm betting it's not as much as with the Tarrago dye.

I've used it to dye tassels and they became very stiff, almost like plastic.

She will probably be able to tell you if she thinks cleaning alone will bring the color back. My guess is that it is faded rather than dirty, but I could be wrong.

It was smart of you to test the dye first. At least if you have LMB dye the bag, it will look nice when they are finished. I don't know how much the texture changes when they dye bags, but I'm betting it's not as much as with the Tarrago dye.

I've used it to dye tassels and they became very stiff, almost like plastic.

You are absolutely right! This bag is faded rather than dirty (except the handles). I also test the dye on a small part of the used tassel -- The tassel almost can stand up the next day......

The problem is I am a little short of the funds for a whole restoration service at LMB (not sure about the exact charges, $300 + I guess), so I am wondering if I can order some clean/soften product from LMB and DIY......

i'm positive that it's faded. it will definitely change the color of the bag. i really don't mind the first coat of color than the second. be completely sure of it before you do it.

I had a bag redyed after it faded like yours did.
The colour match is perfect but it doesn't feel the same at all....
If I was doing it again, I would just get the bag cleaned up.
Good luck!

I would not use the tarrago self shine dyes, if you want the leather to remain soft and full of Bal chracteristics! The self shine dye, is not a penetrating dye, it will just sit on top of the leather, as you described and will be prone to peeling off. LMB or other leather restoring service would be the best option IMO. Good luck!

Thank you so much for all the advice! It means a lot to me. I starring at my baby this morning, and find it still looks perfect (though not that perfect), so I probably won't re-dye my baby this time (maybe will choose to re-dye it 5 years later..who knows), and will just do a general clean-up.

BTW, do you know how to remove the Tarrago dye from my test zone?

TIA

I don't remember how to get it off, but someone else will. If and when Barbara calls or writes, you might ask her. Or, you can contact the Tarrago people themselves.

Also, you can post a new question titled, "How do I remove Tarrago dye?" Someone here who knows, might see it and respond.

I don't remember how to get it off, but someone else will. If and when Barbara calls or writes, you might ask her. Or, you can contact the Tarrago people themselves.

Also, you can post a new question titled, "How do I remove Tarrago dye?" Someone here who knows, might see it and respond.

wow, that's good idea! I will consult Barbara first then.

Thanks Conni! Your cat is really cute~