Inglourious Basterds

amanda

I Bleed Georgia Red
Oct 18, 2005
I searched for both spellings of 'inglorious' and didn't come up with a thread, I can't believe it!

I saw it this afternoon and oh my god, I LOVED IT. Admittedly, I'm an enormous Tarantino fangirl, I love his dialogue style, but I thought it was a vastly entertaining revenge fantasy set against a "historical" backdrop. I'd see it again right now. It was amazing. I can't remember ever being so entertained by a movie that long.

I thought how Tarantino switched from French to English in the first scene was absolutely brilliant and hilarious, and one of my favorite parts was the David Bowie song playing while Emmanuelle/Shoshanna got ready for the Nazi premiere. Brad Pitt was amazing. End-to-end, I loved it. Can't stop raving about it.

I just got home from watching this. Absolutely LOVED it!! I would even venture out to say this is probably the best movie I have seen in quite awhile.
Actually thinking about going to see it again this weekend...and I rarely watch a movie more than once in the theater. :woohoo:

Im happy to hear both reviews are good so far! Im a HUGE Tarantino fan but for some reason (even though Brad Pitt is in it) I didn't have any urge to see this movie. Now, may have to rethink it! DH wants us to go see it but I didn't want to.

I saw it this afternnon and first of all I have to say I'm not a Tarantino's fan, but my mother insisted and I made an effort. I didn't like the movie, I think the story is silly, undeveloped and the dialogues try to be funny, but there's nothing of funny in it...Brad Pitt character is "too much" but he gives a good performance....
If you have other option like Public Enimies, go and see this one! Much better!!!!!

Brad's faux accent didn't bug the snot out of you?
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tarantino, as you know via my recent twitter shout out, but Brad's role seems so hokey{?} I was afraid he would be distracting. No?

Yeah, the thing is, if you don't like Tarantino, you're not going to like this movie. It's Tarantino at his Tarantino-est. I think he's a master at writing dialogue, and when I heard this one was more heavy on dialogue than violence, I knew I had to see it - I'm a writer, I love to see other writers work their magic. I know some people that were expecting wall-to-wall violence were a little disappointed, but Tarantino is so relentlessly clever and irreverent that I could have listened to six hour of his characters talking to each other and nothing more. I thought it was darkly hilarious and incredibly witty. I laughed way more than I expected to.

I tend to not read reviews until after I see a movie, mostly because I'm not interested in the opinions of others until I have some context with which to understand it (in the case of movies, until I see them), and it seemed to me like a lot of them missed the point and were criticizing him for some things that he does in every one of his movies - the self-awareness, the anachronistic music, the endless pop culture references. You either like it or you don't, but I wish critics had looked at this with a context more suited to the film. The NYT reviewer started his review saying that he was not a fan of graphic violence in movies and probably wasn't the best one to be reviewing the film - so why did he? They've got more than one critic on staff.

I'm just sick of critics being so rigid about what is "allowed" in order for a movie to be considered "good," and so many came off as old fogies whining about Tarantino not adhering to tradition. I think this is easily the most creative war movie I've ever seen, and some of the performances were startlingly good. Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa deserves an Oscar for that role, and I thought Brad Pitt was hilariously over-the-top. The quality of the foreign language acting was incredible, and even to someone like me, who speaks no French and only a bit of German, the nuance in the delivery and acting while switching between 4 different languages was very impressive.

It was a bit too long and maybe not fleshed out as completely as I would have liked, but as it was, it was a sprawling revenge fantasy writ large across one of the world's most horrifying atrocities. If anything, the conversations about it, its structure, and its subject matter are some of the most interesting movie conversations I've heard in quite a while.

Brad's faux accent didn't bug the snot out of you?
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Tarantino, as you know via my recent twitter shout out, but Brad's role seems so hokey{?} I was afraid he would be distracting. No?

I normally have a real problem with fake southern accents (which is why I can't watch Kyra Sedgwick in The Closer - no one, NO ONE from Atlanta talks like that), but Brad Pitt's character and his accent/demeanor fit so cleverly in to Tarantino's universe of outsized charicatures. It's just what he does - think of Harvey Keitel's Wolf from Pulp Fiction; over-the-top, incredibly cool, unlike anyone that you know in reality. Plus he gets some of the best English one-liners in the entire film.

He's not in the movie that much (if it had been 3 hours of listening to him talk, that might have been annoying), you get just enough peppered in from time to time, and I honestly wish he would have been in it a little more. The scenes that he's in are brilliant. Christoph Waltz is the best performance of the movie, though.

Last edited:
I'm unsure of this movie.

To tell you the truth, this will (probably) be my first Tarantino movie I've seen in a theatre.

. . . . Well, my family and I did see a bit of Pulp Fiction, but we walked out. I think my mom was drawn in by that scene where Uma Thurman was dancing the twist.

I later learned we left just before the gimp scene.

Anyway, is it as violent as Sweeney Todd? Because I was really shaken up by that one. I mean, it was well made and everything (it was Tim Burton! Come on!) but DAMN . . . .

And it's not like I'm a stranger to his movies, or anything. I've rented Kill Bill 1 and 2. (Actually my brother rented them and I stole them and watched them before he had to return them).,

But with that movie I found that there was so much violence and so much blood that it almost got to be . . . . almost cartoon-like if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
i saw this movie last night. I'm not a movie person, or a tarantino person, but my bf wanted to see this. guess what? I liked the movie!
i loved all the great camera angles. i though it was funny, and Christoph Waltz (one of the main nazi officers) is a great actor!
There is some gorey parts, but i just reminded myself that its a tarantino movie so there's bound to be some blood and gore. it was actually nasty but funny at the same time.

I really like this movie. It wasn't as violent as I thought it was going to be. Thank god because I can't handle too much violence. Melanie Laurent was a bad ass€ (Shoshanna).