thigh high boots - how to wear in a non flashy way?

Sep 25, 2008
I am loving some of the thigh high boot styles that are coming out, but struggling to justify a purchase given my personal style, which is not what I would generally describe as 'flashy' (I'm a grad student, if that info helps). I'm loving the idea of a long sleeved, slouchy minidress, tights and boots, but I'd love to hear anyone else's suggestions.

Also, would you go for flat or heeled? I'm leaning towards flat just out of practicality - I think they'll be more wearable for me, but I'm 5 foot 5 and not long-legged so don't know how that will work.

Basically I would like help incorporating these into daytime outfits. What do you guys think?

I love over-the-knee boots! A few things you might want to consider:
- I'm 5'6 but hold most of my "length" in my legs - all of my boots are over the knee but hit lower than mid-thigh so they make my legs look super long
- I have flat and heeled versions. I wear the heeled version with skinnies, tees and sweaters - but I don't think I would wear them with a dress. However, while I wear my flat versions also with skinnies, I could see myself wearing them with a sweater dress or shorts. The look isn't so "over the top" when the heel is flatter.

:smile:

I agree with everyone else's suggestions so far. Skinny jeans and a loose top or def sweater dresses. Avoid wearing bodycon type dresses cause may end up lookin..well like a stripper. I would wear heeled ones only because i'm 5'4 and i need the extra height. I tried on over the knee flat ones and it did not look good on me.

I love over-the-knee boots! A few things you might want to consider:
- I'm 5'6 but hold most of my "length" in my legs - all of my boots are over the knee but hit lower than mid-thigh so they make my legs look super long
- I have flat and heeled versions. I wear the heeled version with skinnies, tees and sweaters - but I don't think I would wear them with a dress. However, while I wear my flat versions also with skinnies, I could see myself wearing them with a sweater dress or shorts. The look isn't so "over the top" when the heel is flatter.

:smile:

Just curious where you've gotten your heeled over the knee boots? i've been on a search and finding it hard here in seattle. Thanks!

Flat with skinnies for cas look

but even a moderate heel will help the keep the look from 'squashing' you vertically.

Keep the boots tight to the leg whatever the heel

the best way to wear them IMO is to not be obvious about wearing them so that they are a 'surprise' eg with knee-length A line dresses/skirts that only show the length of the boot when you walk or sit down.

All other 'ladies of the night' apparel must be kept away including Hermes CDCs, jodhpurs, veiled hats and handcuff clutches, ultra-low necklines etc:coolio:

Just curious where you've gotten your heeled over the knee boots? i've been on a search and finding it hard here in seattle. Thanks!

I got them from Browns Shoes (I think it might be just in Vancouver). The pair I have are black with these super cute tassels (I think they're "inspired" by a similar pair that Gucci had last F/W)

I don't know if the same pair is still there, but they have tons of other cute pairs:
http://women.brownsshoes.com/eng_ca/Boots

Happy shopping :smile:

Thanks for all the comments and help! :biggrin:

We're basically the same height, but I am built the opposite way - I am long torsoed and not long legged. I have Britney Spear's build - the long midriff and the shorter legs. So I have to be very careful about not wearing things that make me look 'stumpy'. I'd love to be able to use over-the-knee boots to elongate my legs, not stumpify them!

Thanks for all the comments and help! :biggrin:

We're basically the same height, but I am built the opposite way - I am long torsoed and not long legged. I have Britney Spear's build - the long midriff and the shorter legs. So I have to be very careful about not wearing things that make me look 'stumpy'. I'd love to be able to use over-the-knee boots to elongate my legs, not stumpify them!

I would not pair them with jeans AT ALL. We're the same proportions... The only way I can make the look work for me is if I paired them with a tight and sweater dress. I find that boots that hit right at the knee (heeled) work for me since I have longer thighs than calves and it gives a 50/50 illusion.

I'd go shoe shopping with a "typical" outfit on and see how different boots look on you.

I too have been searching for the perfect pair that isn't stiletto which can be flashy especially for me since all i do is domestic work (mom of 3) I think I have found the perfect pair and believe it or not they are from Juicy

http://www.shopbop.com/peyton-above...folderID=2534374302112432&fm=other-shopbysize

I think that the brown suede looks a little more Boho that the black and it seems to me that black always tends to be a little more sexier, so yes, the boots regardless are sexy because they are thigh highs, but they are a little more grounded. Oh, I love these boots........

I too have been searching for the perfect pair that isn't stiletto which can be flashy especially for me since all i do is domestic work (mom of 3) I think I have found the perfect pair and believe it or not they are from Juicy

http://www.shopbop.com/peyton-above...folderID=2534374302112432&fm=other-shopbysize

I think that the brown suede looks a little more Boho that the black and it seems to me that black always tends to be a little more sexier, so yes, the boots regardless are sexy because they are thigh highs, but they are a little more grounded. Oh, I love these boots........

Those are cute but the shaft is pretty long-23"-they are probably more for taller girls. I have seen
OTK boots with shafts that range from 18-26 inches. Make sure to check when you order them , especially if you are on the short side!