My Jack in the Box scare

*Heather*

TIME OUT
Aug 9, 2009
I had a scary incident at Jack in the Box last night. As I was ordering, some guy jumped out from behind the sign, stuck his head in my window with his elbows leaning on the door, and yelled, 'Got a dollar for a beer?' I was in shock, I just didn't expect that! I just sat there with this stunned look on my face...thinking I was about to get carjacked.

He ended up being harmless, but Holy Hell, it caught me so off guard! I think I may have to have mace in hand when I go through a drive through from now on.

And when I told the girl at the window, she just shrugged, 'Oh, he's out there all the time'. WTF...could give some old lady a heart attack!

Has this happened to anyone else?

LOL that is extremely scary but funny to read since nothing bad happened. I get freaked anytime I am driving alone at night, keep my doors locked, don't roll my window down, etc. I've watched 1 too many crime shows. That's very, VERY scary, and no, it's never happened to me. I'm happy that you are okay and nothing bad came of this.

If they are aware that this man hangs out around there and peers into people's windows asking for money, why can nothing be done by the police, I wonder? That's frustrating.

Were you in Berkeley, perchance?

I remember when I was going to college there, we hardly ever went to the drive through there. Too many scary homeless people hitting you up for cash when you're stuck there waiting to order or get your food. Just wasn't worth it.

Had a similar thing happen to me in Texas about 10 years ago.

I was in a long line at the drive through and some random guy came up to the passenger window and started knocking on it. I didn't roll down the window and he kept knocking. The cars were too close for me to pull away immediately. This went on for what seemed like 5 minutes, but in reality it was probably a minute. As soon as the car in front of me pulled up, I pulled out of line which was hard to do with him right at my window.

And when I told the girl at the window, she just shrugged, 'Oh, he's out there all the time'. WTF...could give some old lady a heart attack!

WTF? :nuts: Why didn't the manager shoo him away? The guy needs to be reported to the police. You should call the store and complain to the manager. You can also call the corporate office.

I've never been harassed for money at a drive thru but I've been bothered a few times at the grocery store in the parking lot. I report it right away and a manager and/or security guard always goes out to tell the offender to leave.

And what kind of beer can you buy for a dollar anyway?:confused1:

Good gaw...there's loons everywhere. I'm glad nothing bad happened.... guess I'll take the lesson here and roll up and lock up after I've ordered.

Good advice, except he did it during my order! Just be careful and look around before
rolling down your windows at night! I gotta give him credit, he knows where to find a
captive audience.