Ever use a permanent marker on your Chanel?

Jun 11, 2009
hi all- have any of you ever used a permanent marker on your chanel bag? i got a black caviar flap and noticed little tiny white specks on areas of the front and top of the flap. i'm not sure if it's glue, dust, or specks from the tissue paper but some bits are stuck in the nooks and crannies of the quilted diamonds/stitching (some look like they're on the thread) and i'm having a tough time removing them. they don't just come off if i lightly brush it or use the tip of my finger nail to get it out. i have to scratch at it and some came off that way...but others didn't budge. maybe it's glue?

i wouldn't doubt it either if a couple of them are actually tiny tears and the white material under the leather is peeking through. seems like it'd be easier to color in the white specks than removing them! haha. the thought had briefly crossed my mind but then i thought "how could i ever let a permanent marker get near my bag!" haha. anyone experience this with their caviar flap before? bunch of tiny white specks? what did you do? anyone ever try to color in tiny tears?

No-no. :nono: Don't be doin' that! Take it into Chanel for an opinion. Or at the very least, a top-notch leather repair shop. Don't be messing with it yourself and especially not with permanent marker. The spots that you 'touch-up' with a marker will reflect light differently off the leather and will look purple in the daylight. Marker is meant only for paper.

haha, i wouldn't really color my chanel! lol. sad thing is, it's brand new. i'm not sure what those tiny specks are. some come off and some don't. i'm thinking it's glue or specks from the tissue paper it was wrapped in...dust from the box? it'd be really sticky dust then. heh.

Yup. Back to the shop as fast as you can. Don't pick at anything more. This kind of thing is not why you pay serious money for a beautiful bag.

i've already been back to the shop. :sad: this was the best one out of the ones they had for me to choose from. i didn't notice the specks til i got home though, i just thought it was from the tissue paper. if i don't want this one, i guess i'll have to wait until they get a new shipment in. boooo...this stinks!

^^ I wonder why would anyone pay serious $$ and willing to take the risk and ruin that lavender patent flap??? My tummy hurts just looking at it. Have you actually see the photo where they show inside the flap? the dye practically transfered

Definitely do NOT use a permanent marker. Those whitish marks are areas where the leather has faded, most likely... I've seen this on my mom's Medallion tote, and I've also noticed it on a black caviar flap. I have no idea why it happens, because it's not like sandpaper is run over the bag. I would definitely bring it to Chanel and have them redye it. Hmm, but if your bag is brand new, why not exchange it for another one?

My violet caviar e/w had those marks (mostly on the inside) and it bugged the hell out of me, so I took it to a boutique and they sent it out to be redyed... it looked better than ever. Please don't use a marker though... it'll make things worse and temporary solutions are never a good idea. It's too expensive of a bag to experiment with a DIY solution. :sweatdrop: