Opinions please...RM stripe MAM? Yes or no?

ChaChaWeed

May 20, 2008
Hey All,

Any thoughts, opinions on RM patterned bags? Do you own one? Will you love them forever or are you tired of them already? Are they too limiting? Or is it good to have bags for specific outfits?

I got this from Nordstrom:

and am thinking of returning--it's sitting across the room and staring at me. It's beautiful, but sort of limiting--I can only wear whites, khakis and yellows and browns with it...I know some don't care for the striped bags,

but for those who do have a striped RM and those who don't:

Would you keep it? Is it useful?

Plus, we're at the end of summer, so it's gonna have to be stored for 1/2 a year...hmmm. Although it's style is not particularly specific to 2009.

Opinions welcome, please...

Thx!!

I think this bag is unique, fun and a very pretty bag. I agree that it can be limiting though and won't necessarily go with every outfit. If you are looking for an everyf=day bag this wouldn't be it but if you are looking for a different and great bag to add as an addition to your collection, well, this would be great!

When I look at this bag, I don't see limiting... quite the contrary!

The brown trim, much like the brown basketweave, could go with quite a lot! I guess the question is whether YOU LIKE IT, and if it represents *your* style. I see preppy, summer/fall resort, a day at the beach, warm colors, peacoats, Burberry, golden jewels, dressy, business attire... those are the images I have in mind.

I actually don't like the RM Striped Mam. I don't know if it's the colours but them combined makes it ugh and not very timeless IMO. It gives off an orangey vibe which is not my thing. Yellow and orange are my most disliked colours so that could be it but if you love those colours than why not?

I like Mam's that are more uniform and will go with just about anything. I'm not saying that I only go for neutrals but with a more bold colour like a red, purple, blue or green it will give enough pop to what you're wearing without looking too out there. This is just my opinion though.

It seems like you're having second thoughts about your purchase. If you are thinking that it only goes with certain colours, I would return it because those second thoughts will come up later on and will only sit on your shelf in a dustbag until you sell it.

I actually don't like the RM Striped Mam. I don't know if it's the colours but them combined makes it ugh and not very timeless IMO. It gives off an orangey vibe which is not my thing. Yellow and orange are my most disliked colours so that could be it but if you love those colours than why not?

I like Mam's that are more uniform and will go with just about anything. I'm not saying that I only go for neutrals but with a more bold colour like a red, purple, blue or green it will give enough pop to what you're wearing without looking too out there. This is just my opinion though.

It seems like you're having second thoughts about your purchase. If you are thinking that it only goes with certain colours, I would return it because those second thoughts will come up later on and will only sit on your shelf in a dustbag until you sell it.

The stripes are khaki/yellow....but yes, that's a good point. Second thoughts are a drag when you can no longer return it. I usually go for solids too.

The brown trim, much like the brown basketweave, could go with quite a lot! I guess the question is whether YOU LIKE IT, and if it represents *your* style. I see preppy, summer/fall resort, a day at the beach, warm colors, peacoats, Burberry, golden jewels, dressy, business attire... those are the images I have in mind.

It's definitely a ritzy looking bag--it needs a yacht to go with it. Very classy summer look--gold jewelry and caramel sandals...hmmm, still debating.

Thanks (and to Littlerock) for the help!

I love these suggestions. I think the bag would also look great with jeans, a button down, and of course *gold jewelry and a yacht*. I'm a fan of some of the stripe RMs, particularly the Safari combo.

I like that bag and I don't find the colours particularly limiting or summer specific. It depends what you usually wear and what the weather is like where you live. For example it would look hot with black, navy, chocolate, greens, burnt orange... I can also see that bag paired with some yellowy toned frye boots for fall. It is a nice transition bag for the seasons, unique and lightweight. The tie dye ones are more likely to be considered seasonal/trendy. If you have other solid MAMs and other more neutral bags, I'd keep this one because it does look like a different kind of bag.

I personally love this bag and have been eyeing it since it came out. I just wish it was available in the MAB.

I think this is a great neutral and will go with lots of things. But come September/October it will be time to put it away (unless you live in Florida).

It would be a keep for me!

like having my bag contrast with what I wear! and although where I live has only 2 seasons, rainy and sunny, I really don't understand the whole "stored through winter/summer" thing. it doesn't matter the color or what it's made of, part of the fun of getting RMs is rocking them out all year round, regardless of the season!:tup:

I've been trying to figure out for the longest why I don't like this bag. It makes me think of the circus and animal crackers (i don't know why animal crackers). I agree with the others that if you have doubts now you should return it while you can and stick the money in your Handbag Fund until something you love comes along. I learned this the hard way when I didn't listen to my second thoughts.

I've been trying to figure out for the longest why I don't like this bag. It makes me think of the circus and animal crackers (i don't know why animal crackers). I agree with the others that if you have doubts now you should return it while you can and stick the money in your Handbag Fund until something you love comes along. I learned this the hard way when I didn't listen to my second thoughts.

Thanks for the advice! Animal crackers is funny---maybe it's the bar stripes.

Personally, I like the bag but I've bought too many bags that I never used and can't waste money now (can anyone?) and it's a pain to resell.

I did decide to return it because I felt it wouldn't wear well in lots of ways--it's canvas with latte leather and I have enough bags I'm afraid to get dirty and I feel it's more a summer bag than all year round--esp. in nasty-weathered DC. (If I were still in CA in might be different).

I've decided to save the money for something that I'll get more consistent use from.

Thanks everyone for your advice and input! I really appreciate it!