Why must I be so fickle?

greyhoundgal

Mar 5, 2006
I got an XL Garnet this weekend but after it setting in the bag and taking it out to ponder it a while I have decided that I don't like it. So there is yet another return I need to make. I am so frustrated because I thought about this bag for weeks and "played" with it in the store for an hour. I dread doing another return because I have done so many lately. I just hate doing them, I don't know why.
I also bought the large Tribeca Shoulder Bag in the purple. I didn't really like the style of the bag, but I LOVE purple and had to have it because of the color. Now I have decided that I love it and need it in the Gold as well. I wish they made it in more colors.
Can I be any more undecided?

lol You sounds very much like me. Dh calls me the Queen of Returns. He often wondered why I have to have every color of the rainbow when it comes to shoes, bags & clothes. I tell him that HE should be thankful that I haven't trade him in for a younger model! ;)

Last edited:
Haha! I totally know what you are saying!! I've returned outlet purchases the past two weekends!

I want a Tribeca tote in the antique gold too...but, can't commit to it. I was at the boutique today and tried on the Garnet in mahagony...it's gorgeous. Then the SA brings out the Brooke in quartz & I'm totally torn! And, she mentioned new Parkers coming out and the Lexi...how are we to choose with so many gorgeous bags??

I am not buying anything until the next PCE...but, I feel for you...you are not alone!! :lol:

Lol, I think we all go through that. My funds are very limited right now so that's the biggest help for me in making sure I love it before I buy. Although, I've looked at many bags that I planned to buy and once I saw it/got it in my hands it just wasn't what I thought it would be. I think you should be in love with whatever you buy and not fret too much over the returns. I had an SA trying to push a few things on me the other day and kept telling me I could return them all if I changed my mind. I just don't understand why they push buying and returning so much if it really is that big of a deal, kwim? Anyway...glad you love the Tribeca so much and you could always just exchange for the gold one. :P

See, I think it's a little crappy that Coach actually has alot of us nervous and/or scared to do LEGIT returns!!! UGH....

Did you have a bad experience, or is it just something built up in your head?

I agree that COACH does have a very kind and lax return/exchange policy and I hate when people stretch that policy to it's very limit. With that said, you shouldn't have to dread returning/exchanging a NWT bag with receipt that you just changed you mind about!!! KWIM?!

***I had a GF of mine pick me UP a Bonnie black leather satchel w/ the black patent trim at her outlet, and she's gonna ship it to me because mine didn't have them. The bag came with NO TAGS AT ALL (not even just unattatched-none) so we ALL KNOW that this bag was most likely carried since the SA's admitted to her that it was a RETURN. I told her to go ahead and ship it because I'm confident I'm gonna love it, and I trust her judgement as to the perfect condition. It just sucks that most likely someone was able to return a bag without any tags AT ALL!!!

I think the reason people fear legit returns is because of the circumstance. Just to use Target as an example, if I return something there, it is very unlikely that the same clerk is going to be behind the register. Even Macy's. However, at Coach it is such a "small shop". You are very likely to return to the same SA who sold you the bag and it can be uncomfortable. Perhaps you were even "caught up in the whole thing" and purchased a bag the SA said was TDF when you really were not feeling it. Then the SAs of course try to get you to exchange instead of return....I do not know for sure, but feel they must get some sort of commission so they really don't want you to return as it cuts into that. Whereas at Macy's and Target, I can return "anonymously", no one loses commission or could care less whether I get a refund or store credit.

I have gone to some length to avoid that sinking return feeling. I will return to a different boutique, one I have not purchased from...the SAs don't know me there. Of course this store is 40 minutes away. I know I should get over it, but I feel horrible when I return also.

greyhoundgal >> don't feel bad about yourself!!
it is really the beautiful part of loving the bags..
at least u cured the curiosity of wondering what it might be..
it's ok..
just return it..
and lets move on to the next on the list!
it's sooo much fun!
no restrictions..
seriously, u're very lucky!
as for me, we don't have the return policy here in malaysia so, if i made a mistake, i'm on my own..
just have to sell it at the local trading portal here for a lesser value so somebody will buy it and i can have some cash to buy a different one.. bugger..

Im very fickle too. I feel you for sure. Right now, i have a bag listed on Ebay that im going to take a loss on and never used because i just dont want to deal with return and im going there this thursday anyway. I wish i wasnt so fickle too.

I think the reason people fear legit returns is because of the circumstance. Just to use Target as an example, if I return something there, it is very unlikely that the same clerk is going to be behind the register. Even Macy's. However, at Coach it is such a "small shop". You are very likely to return to the same SA who sold you the bag and it can be uncomfortable. Perhaps you were even "caught up in the whole thing" and purchased a bag the SA said was TDF when you really were not feeling it. Then the SAs of course try to get you to exchange instead of return....I do not know for sure, but feel they must get some sort of commission so they really don't want you to return as it cuts into that. Whereas at Macy's and Target, I can return "anonymously", no one loses commission or could care less whether I get a refund or store credit.

I have gone to some length to avoid that sinking return feeling. I will return to a different boutique, one I have not purchased from...the SAs don't know me there. Of course this store is 40 minutes away. I know I should get over it, but I feel horrible when I return also.

i totally agree! when the SA recognizes you, it makes it harder, especially cause they will try to make you feel bad(not necessarily on purpose) or get you to get something else. i am a very indecisive person and i do end up just buying some things that i don't totally love and then returning them and i will go to another location so i don't get the somewhat of a guilt trip from the SA's who might recognize me. i would think they have to be used to this though with such an easy return policy and look at everyone on here that buys, changes their mind and returns numerous times throughout the year. we can't be the only ones!

i don't understand the whole return thing...I've returned about 6 or 7 things since i began liking coach in 2005. I am fickle about even buying a bag if I know I'm not going to use it or like it. It has to be something I'm absolutely in love with. And that's because I average about 40 things on ebay every two months...bags just aren't a big thing for me because you can only use so many bags...accessories are much more collectible, kwim? i buy because I know I will love

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being fickle, especially about BAGS. We have to keep this in mind, there are much worse things in life to be fickle about than the handbags you buy. If you buy something, get it home, and don't love it like you thought you would there is no shame in that. Take it back, get your money back, and wait until you find the next thing you think you love. If that next thing isn't love, then move on to the next! :tup: Not everyone is the same about always or never returning things :nogood:

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being fickle, especially about BAGS. We have to keep this in mind, there are much worse things in life to be fickle about than the handbags you buy. If you buy something, get it home, and don't love it like you thought you would there is no shame in that. Take it back, get your money back, and wait until you find the next thing you think you love. If that next thing isn't love, then move on to the next! :tup: Not everyone is the same about always or never returning things :nogood:
ITA w/you J! I'm very indecisive myself... I try and not buy something if I know I'm going to return it, but it happens ya know? We are all human... good thing Coach has a return policy in general or I'd be screwed! LOL