Gladstone!

Ilin

Jun 22, 2009
I came across a Mulberry Gladstone bag today online and I have never seen that style before and after looking around the internet for more information I came to the solution that this bag must be of a really old style.

When did they stop making the Gladstone bags? I think it's gorgeous. What colours did it come in?

Love Handbags has three listed at present - and they've been there for ages. The emerald is significantly cheaper, I think partly because it has no mirror. the other two are chestnut and , I think, ruby. All congo leather. I bought an emerald one several years ago at Bicester and I have held on to it although I din't use it very often. It's very structured but the strap makes it an easy bag to carry on the shoulder and it functions well for opening whilst shopping.The bag feels a bit too dressed up for lots of occasions but I would recommend it if you like the look and the style. Good silk lining. Always admired when i use it.

Thank you so much for replying!

I don't think I care too much about the mirror, it's a nice accessory, that's all. I had a look and they had one black, one green and one chestnut. I absolutely love the green colour. I also found one at eBay from Mulberrymad http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUTH-VINTAGE-...3ca4950f48&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_8404wt_941 What do you think of the condition of it? I think it looks a bit faded but otherwise good, especially for the price. I also found one here: http://www.gumtree.com/london/37/42002237.html and here http://cgi.ebay.com/MINT-MULBERRY-R...7d24321&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_1385wt_941 but not sure if they are authentic. What do you think of them? The one in the last link seems to be very cheap and so does the yellow which seems weird. Also the last one seems to lack the shoulder straps.

I absolutely love the style of the bag, it looks very smart which is good because I'm planning on using it as a school bag. I might be crazy that want a bag like that for school but I just really like to dress up smart often.

Do you know anything else about this bag? What year is it from? I'd love to know.

Thanks and sorry for all the links and all the questions! :smile:

Yes, the third Lovehandbags gladstone is black. I personally love the emerald green . It's a rich deep colour and very versatile. I've looked at the links of the three on offer elsewhere. I'm not used to authenticating and would not want to say too much. Mulberrymad is well spoken of on this forum. but I don't think the colour is very well represented in the photos. I've never seen that yellow, and I agree is does seem weird. someone else may know if Mulberry used that colour much. If the red is without the strap ( and it seems to be) then I would not consider it. I think this bag works well as hand held AND on the shoulder and would not buy one without a strap. My concern about your purchase is that you want a bag for use as a schoolbag. You need to look very carefully at the size BUT bear in mind that the bag is not as wide at the top as at the bottom. It is reasonably roomy but it can be quite awkward to pack a lot into because when the sides are pushed out it loses its attractive shape . It certainly won't accommodate A4. I will post tomorrow or asap ( busy day tomorrow) about date when they are sold. I need to check old diaries to see when I bought it! Good luck with finding what you want.

Hmm, I think it might be an idea to stay away from the yellow one now. That one and the strapless one seem quite strange. Think I could maybe ask Mulberry mad for a picture that better shows the colour? Otherwise it's probably just a question between a good price and a bag that looks more new.

I agree with you about the straps. I love bags you can carry on your shoulder, or at least in the crook of your arm. I think it was silly of me to even consider that one now.

Ah... So might not be useful for books then. I think that can be solved by buying small notebooks and carry the rest of the books I need in my hand, which I don't think I'll mind as I have one subject per day and therefore only need one book or two at the most. If I do mind I'm sure I'll get use of it anyway, I really like this bag...

Thank you again. :smile: