Maldives as a present for a bf?

jandelvis

Apr 2, 2007
hey all!
i think it was lulu who snagged a Maldives for her dh and that reviews are good, and he likes his "man bag." :P

i am dating a darling new man and his birthday is coming up. we recently took a mini-vacation together and he has the sorriest looking weekender i've ever seen... i think the top zipper may be broken and let me just say two words: tommy hilfiger.

i have never seen the Maldives IRL but i've liked the looks of it forever.

a bit about the new man - he is pretty stylish in a masculine/dapper way, not a metrosexual or trendy way. to work he wears suits with very nice italian made button downs, and isn't afraid of colorful ties and shirts - pinks, yellows, etc in shirts or ties. on weekend nights out, he'll wear AG jeans and a button down. on really special nights out, he'll rock a suit with a pocket square. i know he shops at brooks bros and cole haan. his Tommy H bag does NOT make sense given the rest of his attire.

Questions for you:

1. Yes or no as a present? Toni Hacker recommended it as a V-day gift here on the savvy blog, but i'm still on the fence. he knows about my love affair with HH, so even though I think its unisex, i worry he would think it was a purse in some sense.

2. If yes, which color? I'm debating black, chocolate or olive to stay on the conservative side.

I got my DH a khaki one (I *meant* to get olive, but they sent khaki and he liked it ok so I didn't bother fighting it)....he's used it a bunch! I would vote for chocolate actually, I wish I had gotten that. the khaki is nice but shows dirt more than I would like! :smile:

thanks for the feedback, dream! i have a khaki pan am and it shows dirt too, especially after its recent trip to Uganda.

I like the olive with the contrast handles - it's kind of 70's cool/safari, but it's definitely more likely to stand-out as compared to the choc or black, and i'm not sure if that's a good thing or not for him.

the current weekender is a red and blue eyesore that is kinda loud but not in the way you want!! :shocked:

hey all!
i think it was lulu who snagged a Maldives for her dh and that reviews are good, and he likes his "man bag." :P

i am dating a darling new man and his birthday is coming up. we recently took a mini-vacation together and he has the sorriest looking weekender i've ever seen... i think the top zipper may be broken and let me just say two words: tommy hilfiger.

i have never seen the Maldives IRL but i've liked the looks of it forever.

a bit about the new man - he is pretty stylish in a masculine/dapper way, not a metrosexual or trendy way. to work he wears suits with very nice italian made button downs, and isn't afraid of colorful ties and shirts - pinks, yellows, etc in shirts or ties. on weekend nights out, he'll wear AG jeans and a button down. on really special nights out, he'll rock a suit with a pocket square. i know he shops at brooks bros and cole haan. his Tommy H bag does NOT make sense given the rest of his attire.

Questions for you:

1. Yes or no as a present? Toni Hacker recommended it as a V-day gift here on the savvy blog, but i'm still on the fence. he knows about my love affair with HH, so even though I think its unisex, i worry he would think it was a purse in some sense.

2. If yes, which color? I'm debating black, chocolate or olive to stay on the conservative side.

I think the Smoke Blue is pretty masculine. However, the chocolate is on sale. It would make a great present!

I love the smoke, too, and agree with nixing the olive. I'd say Chocolate. Not as risky as Smoke or Olive, but more interesting, as you said, than black. I think it's a great idea, J! (And :yahoo::woohoo::flowers: for finding a great guy who treats you RIGHT!) A stylish, well-made weekender is a must, especially for a guy who'll take you on a mini-break. The Maldives is a perfect size for it, great pockets, looks fantastic (and unisex). The only thing I don't like about mine is that it's lined in cotton print, so clothes sort of stick to the sides... wouldn't be a problem with the production ones since they're lined in nylon.

I think a lot of their travel gear is unisex... you could get him a passport cover later ;)

...I think a lot of their travel gear is unisex... you could get him a passport cover later ;)

Oooh, yeah as the relationship progresses, a passport cover might make a good hint too.:graucho: So which place outside of the US would you like to visit?

I'm officially voting for chocolate since you have a smoke bag.

1. Yes. Sounds like he'd love it. I'd totally get myself one if I were you; a little his&hers action!

2. Yes to any of those colors, whatever's in his wardrobe the most. My hub's would be the black. I'd say black or chocolate. Olive sounds iffy to me.

I vote chocolate too!

Although just a teeny suggestion....not HH... so hope no one's offended I suggested it here. I got my hubby a venezia duffle from flotoimports.com. He loves it.

They are for sale on ebay sometimes.

I vote chocolate too!

Although just a teeny suggestion....not HH... so hope no one's offended I suggested it here. I got my hubby a venezia duffle from flotoimports.com. He loves it.

They are for sale on ebay sometimes.

Wow... i LOVE THAT... in a different price ballpark for me but wow is that absolutely beautiful and classic.:drool::wtf::faint: I think my bf would adore that but at retail anyway it's out of my budget... going to amble over to ebay now!

Sorry to be such an enabler. The leather is the great kind of Italian glazed leather that can get knocked around a bit and still look great - the distressing adds to the "macho-ness" of it. DH has used it for business trips when he's driving - eg. up to Kelowna for a few days or to Whistler. If he's flying he takes a rolling suitcase.

He's also used it to cart a change of clothes and golf shoes etc when he's gone somewhere to play golf and have something clean (and not all sweaty!) to change into for dinner. It zips WIDE open so lots of stuff can go in and out easily.

Sorry to be such an enabler. The leather is the great kind of Italian glazed leather that can get knocked around a bit and still look great - the distressing adds to the "macho-ness" of it. DH has used it for business trips when he's driving - eg. up to Kelowna for a few days or to Whistler. If he's flying he takes a rolling suitcase.

He's also used it to cart a change of clothes and golf shoes etc when he's gone somewhere to play golf and have something clean (and not all sweaty!) to change into for dinner. It zips WIDE open so lots of stuff can go in and out easily.

No apologies please!!! i am completely inspired! now that i think about my bf's beautiful leather briefcase i am realizing that he might appreciate this enough to be worth the splurge with ebay prices... :nuts: i agree that it is perfectly macho and handsome and rugged, and i love how it would look with age...