The Sad State of My Hometown...

CoachieCoo

Jun 27, 2009
I don't live full-time in my hometown anymore, and it always saddens me when I go back because these poor girls have "purse parties" and buy "Coach" and parade around town. First of all, they're hideous fakes, but even worse is that they actually think the purses are REAL! I just want to get into the whole child labor/funding bad people thing, but I honestly think they wouldn't care. Does anyone else have the same problem?

Ugh. I spoke with my MIL last night and she was telling me that one of the leaders of the youth group that she helps out with had a new "Coach" bag that she only paid $10 for. "It looks so real!" she says. Mmm-hmm. I'm sure it does. I go to the same church as her and she told me she'd have the girl show it to me on Sunday. I'm planning on telling her to visit fakesareneverinfashion.com, but I don't want to sound like a snob. I just really want this woman to know what she's funding by buying these bags. She's been encouraging the girls in the youth group to visit the store she got it at so they could get one too. (I don't know the name of the store, otherwise I would let Coach know about it.) Do you think it's OK for me to let her know about the site?

I do not have the hometown issue but the fakes rain in here. I do not believ that most people care that this bags are fakes. Example today a lady a starbucks had a bag tha had the Carly form and the Op Art design and the Modern "C's like Penelop or the Leah. The lining was black with the older 'C's in a redish tone. It was very well done but she showed the creed and it was all wrong..

This is very common down here ladies buy bags that are fake, even when they can afford real ones, even if they are tacky. Some at my job selles them to the other ladies and it really makes me mad because they all know they can buy Coach or any other bags a about the same prices this girl sells the fakes to them at.

Her awefull Coach bags go for $90+ dollars and her fake LV's go for $300.00 and these ladies buy two or three knowing that they can shop for the real thing for a little more or the same price...

sahah.jane,,, i am so glad you shared that website address, thats amazing!! something everyone needs to read!! im going to share this w/ everyone i see carrying a fake:nuts:... is that wrong??!!*****

i live in a little town now,,, it's the same way,,, ive often wanted to crash a "purse party"!! & tell em how it is,,, however it was the same in the city i used to live in,,, so many fakes,,, but more authentics than here,,,i think some of the designer companys need to offer incentives for all the fakes that could be rounded up,,, yeehaw,,, what a fricken blast that would be!!

a couple years ago before I got my "grown up" job, I waited tables, and my manager sold fake coach, chanel, LV, you name it....out of the trunk of his SUV! He would let us look at them but we couldn't pull them out of the trunk just in case someone who cared would see! How sketchy is that?

I also have another question, I hope this isn't too off topic....We know that child labor and other terrible things (drug trafficing, possible terrorism) is funded when we (americans in general) purchase fake bags. Can someone tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt that COACH and other high end designers do NOT use child labor when making these bags. I am just playing the devil's advocate here because I don't want to go around barking at everyone who has a fake or standing up for the brand I love if there is a chance they may use child labor from other countries. I hope that makes sense, TIA for anyone who knows for sure!

I love it when someone makes a point to show you that they bought a fake and then tell you that they got such a great deal because it was only $90.00 at the booth down at the dirt mall.

I could take $90 into the outlet and come out with a nice REAL Coach that will last forever. A co-worker's niece bought one the other day (she's a teenager) and I told her to try to take it back because right now, with all of the coupons and sales, she could buy a quality bag at the outlet for pretty close to the same price.

Some people just don't care that they are fake, though. And, I swear, it's almost like some ladies go out of there way to buy the cheesiest looking bag on the rack.

Same here, OP, same here!!! First let me say that while in college I knowingly bought a couple of fakes. But while I knew they were fakes, I had NO idea about all the bad stuff fakes are associated with. I've since learned the error of my ways and haven't bought any in several years. I live in a small town now and there are a lot of fakes, but even more where I'm from. My hometown is just now discovering designer/fake designer bags, and purse parties are the latest thing. The lady that does my hair back home showed me her USED fake coach and was beaming with pride when she told me she only paid $35 for it and matching wallet. Poor thing, she had NO idea it was fake. She's drooled over my parchment Carly so many times, I didn't have the heart to tell her, "Oh, mine's real but yours is fake." I just played along. I don't know what the right thing to do in that situation is. ?? Also, my cousin was telling me just this morning that she wishes I was in town because she's going to this purse party at this really nice house and wished I could have gone with her. Again, I didn't want to be snotty so I just told her to have fun. It's a frustrating situation because I want to educate them but at the same time, I know they can't afford authentic and don't want to make them feel bad, or come across as a snob. I do feel bad for the ones that think they're buying authentic Coach, though!

While I've never bought a fake designer bag, it never bothered me because I figured if it makes some people happy, so what? However, a family friend who works for the FBI mentioned to me that the sales of many fake designer bags (as well as other fake or stolen products) are often used to fund crime and potentially terrorism. I don't want to lecture people or sound condescending about people's personal choices, so I don't think I'd ever make a comment to someone carrying a fake. I just wish that more people were better informed about the ramifications of their spending decisions.

I agree with those of you who mentioned that the real deal can often be found at an amazingly good price at the Coach outlets or on the online auction sites. Also, there are purses at Target and similar stores that are cuter than a lot of the fakes.

I also have another question, I hope this isn't too off topic....We know that child labor and other terrible things (drug trafficing, possible terrorism) is funded when we (americans in general) purchase fake bags. Can someone tell me beyond a shadow of a doubt that COACH and other high end designers do NOT use child labor when making these bags. I am just playing the devil's advocate here because I don't want to go around barking at everyone who has a fake or standing up for the brand I love if there is a chance they may use child labor from other countries. I hope that makes sense, TIA for anyone who knows for sure!

I don't think we'll have a solid answer unless we visit the factories in China. According to the author of How Luxury Lost its Luster, the conditions of making the fake bags are horrible, terrible and involves young children. She states the worse the fake, the more likely it was made by a kid.
The designer handbag factories are different (according to the author) She had to sign confidentiality agreements and couldn't name the exact designers. From what she says in the book, the designer factories are set up more like a college campus with small dormrooms, game rooms and workout facilities. There are some underage workers that say they are 18 so they can earn money to send back home. They work long hours and she said it gets very hot inside. The workers are there voluntarily.

She also said that almost every designer bag is at least partly made in China, even designer houses that swear they are made in Italy. Its a good read, if you time check it out.

I just can't believe they pay $70-120ish for a fake bag. Outlets and coupons are so much better! I want to show them TPF so they can fall in love and do it the right way. Maybe that would help?

I just can't believe they pay $70-120ish for a fake bag. Outlets and coupons are so much better! I want to show them TPF so they can fall in love and do it the right way. Maybe that would help?

You know, you would be surprised at how many people have no idea that Coach outlets even exist at all...much less that they might have coupons and special sales.

I've converted many people in my office to Coach and I would say 90% thought that they would have to pay $500+ for a bag if they ever decided to buy one. Even the ones who knew about the outlet said that they never went in because they just thought it would have outrageous prices. I broke out the calculator and showed them the savings, so now they are all on board!

Some people don't mind a fake bag, and that's fine...everyone has their own tastes. But when I see someone pay $90 for a bag and they are excited because they think they are getting the "look" of Coach, it makes me think that they would probably not turn down a real one if they could get it. I just think that they are uninformed and need to be shown the light!!!

You know, you would be surprised at how many people have no idea that Coach outlets even exist at all...much less that they might have coupons and special sales.

I've converted many people in my office to Coach and I would say 90% thought that they would have to pay $500+ for a bag if they ever decided to buy one. Even the ones who knew about the outlet said that they never went in because they just thought it would have outrageous prices. I broke out the calculator and showed them the savings, so now they are all on board!

Some people don't mind a fake bag, and that's fine...everyone has their own tastes. But when I see someone pay $90 for a bag and they are excited because they think they are getting the "look" of Coach, it makes me think that they would probably not turn down a real one if they could get it. I just think that they are uninformed and need to be shown the light!!!

I will toast to your spreading of valuable knowledge! :drinkup: (Teehee)

Child Labor and not to mention the terrible working conditions for adults as well....I was wondering the same thing.... thanks for being the devils advocate. I am not sure now much of a difference there is and would like to know as well.

I don't think we'll have a solid answer unless we visit the factories in China. According to the author of How Luxury Lost its Luster, the conditions of making the fake bags are horrible, terrible and involves young children. She states the worse the fake, the more likely it was made by a kid. Its a good read, if you time check it out.

Hey thanks for the post swags. I'm always looking for a good read and this thread has really sparked my interest on the subject!

I suppose if you're going to lay (good!) money down on a purchase, you should know where it really came from. KWIM?