Another Hermes Birkin or a Bottega Cabat

Ladies - Your honest opinion would be greatly appreciated. Since being bitten by the H bug 3 years ago, I have not purchased a non-Hermes bag. However, the style of some Bottega Veneta bags are really starting to appeal to me. I'm particularly interested in a Bottega Cabat because it can be worn on the shoulder. But for the money ($6-$7K), would I be foolish to buy a non-H bag? Is buying a Bottega a step back? For just a little more money, I can get another Birkin, HAC or Kelly. What do you think?

The BV is a nice bag but won't last as long as the Birkin. The Birkin is well structured and interlined. Another factor is the style; I love the BV model but I tried it on and it is way too unstructured for me; it would drive me crazy because it wouldn't be easy to find anything in it. But---if you love it, go for it.

That is a dilemma.
I like both and have been debating between a Kelly and a Cabat, too. The only thing I don't like about the Cabat is that you can't really close it. So if you are driving in the car, and slam on the brakes, it's likely all your stuff is going to go flying.

No doubt, the Cabat is a beautiful bag too.

880, IFFAH, BlueParrot, and etoupebirkin - Thank you for your posts. I wish I could buy both bags! Alas, the money tree isn't bearing much fruit. I love my Birkins and Kelly, but they are not the most user friendly bags. I love in the city and don't have a car. Sometimes the Birkin gets so darned heavy.

I think the Cabat and the Birkin are so different, it's hard to say if you are foolish to buy one rather than the other. Both are intricately handmade with beautiful leather and are very expensive, but if the style doesn't work for you then none of that matters. Personally, if I was going to get a tote bag that can be worn on the shoulder, it would be a Cabat...SO much lighter than most Hermes bags, but you have to like the slouchier look, which is so different from anything Hermes does.

you can wait for it to be discounted (for seasonal colors). They never have discount for black and dark brown. The longer you use it, the softer it gets, so it is difficult to find your things as the bag is so soft and your stuffs move around. I would suggest you buy BOTTEGA only at discounted price. For full retail price, it is better to get a Birkin or Kelly.

IF you want to wear it on the shoulder, you can consider So Kelly. It has flat straps, very comfortable on your shoulder.

Ladies - Your honest opinion would be greatly appreciated. Since being bitten by the H bug 3 years ago, I have not purchased a non-Hermes bag. However, the style of some Bottega Veneta bags are really starting to appeal to me. I'm particularly interested in a Bottega Cabat because it can be worn on the shoulder. But for the money ($6-$7K), would I be foolish to buy a non-H bag? Is buying a Bottega a step back? For just a little more money, I can get another Birkin, HAC or Kelly. What do you think?

Both are totally different bags.

BV is well-known for its intrecciato woven leather bags. Just like Hermes is well-known for its Kellys and Birkins. Personally, I cannot justify spending that much on a BV bag.

I own a BV hobo bag. It's a nice, simple bag and light-weight. But somehow, it cannot be compared with Hermes.

If you like BV bags because it can be carried on shoulder and would like some varieties in your bag collection, maybe you can consider other designs, i.e. the BV hobo? If not, you can always wait for the sale :yes:.

Last edited:
The cabat is one gorgeous bag but they are two different styles. Thou i love the cabat my only concern is the open top. If i have to choose between cabat and birkin i would still vote for the birkin.

That is a dilemma.
I like both and have been debating between a Kelly and a Cabat, too. The only thing I don't like about the Cabat is that you can't really close it. So if you are driving in the car, and slam on the brakes, it's likely all your stuff is going to go flying.

No doubt, the Cabat is a beautiful bag too.
etoupebirkin, i had to laugh when i read your post, i have and love both my birkins and cabat, and but yes, i have hit the breaks many times, the cabat just dumps right over, so you tend to have to keep alot of pouches in the cabat...but it makes a great hands free carryall...:smile:

i'd have to say, if a person could/would own only two bags, it would be a 35 birkin and medium BV cabat :P

Last edited:
^^^Bottega never puts the cabats on sale as far as i know...

bostonskygirl, this question is being debated on the BV forum as well... IMO there is room for both and they are both such different bags. the cabat is under the radar and very easy to use. the birkin is, well, you know.... but not easy to wear in all circumstances....

http://forum.purseblog.com/bottega-veneta/the-perfect-cabat-or-a-birkin-495575.html

http://forum.purseblog.com/bottega-veneta/quest-for-the-perfect-cabat-489953.html

IMO you can't make a philosophical choice between the two without knowing precisely what leathers/sizes you are choosing between. ultimately for the money, you have to get something that you love.

also i think cabat price points are slightly less than you have quoted for a medium - unless you are thinking about the LE versions of the reflet or the burnt marshmellow cabats or a large? this nappa medium is $4700, a large is $5800

http://www.bottegaveneta.com/shopon...d=ddca6f53-ff3c-4cdd-af6d-e1e59b29e759&page=3

hey 880, Ouija Board :hugs:

Attachments

• CIMG1592.JPG
    CIMG1592.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,625
Last edited:
i have had the same dilemma before... but i think in the end, how you "use" your bag will make that decision for you. there is no point buying a bag no matter how nice it is if it doens't fit your lifestyle and ends up just sitting on your shelf.

the cabat is gorgeous especially in some of the limited edition colors but i am not a open bag kind of guy, and as much as i love everything about it, i know i would probably use it once every year or so. so, it seems a waste to spend that kind of money on a bag that you rarely use.

imho, there is no stepping back or forward with buying H or non-H bags. after all, as lovely as H bags are, they cannot be suitable for all occasions. buy the bag that sings to you and that you can get the most use out of (unless budget is not an issue)...

whatever you get, i hope you enjoy it!