Saks and Bottega Veneta question

boxermom

O.G.
Aug 26, 2006
While in the DC area recently, I went into the Tyson's Saks to look at bags. Obviously someone at that store has lost their marbles because there were only about 4 brands in the entire purse section.

Anyway, not a single BV in the Tysons Saks store. Yet they are online. Those of you who live near Saks stores--are BV's still being carried in-store?

The Neiman Marcus in the same mall had quite a few BV's and multiple other designer bags.

I'm shocked-- you would think Saks Tysons of all places would carry them. When I was in Cleveland the Saks there carried BV. They had very good selections of Chanel and Prada. The next largest was probably YSL and BV. They had a smattering of many different lines.

They probably had 10 BV bags in total.

boxermom,

You should have seen what they had before, they recently renovated the handbag section- Before there was a big collection of Juicy kooba and LAMB- nothing against these brands but surprising since Tyson's Galleria is conisdered our luxury mall. Tods is a new addition and they expanded the Marc Jacobs collection. Luckily we have a boutique now with very helpful people. The manager is A+. Spending time in Palm Beach the Saks there did not have any BV as well and I don't recall seeing any in the Saks in Chevy Chase.

boxermom,

You should have seen what they had before, they recently renovated the handbag section- Before there was a big collection of Juicy kooba and LAMB- nothing against these brands but surprising since Tyson's Galleria is conisdered our luxury mall. Tods is a new addition and they expanded the Marc Jacobs collection. Luckily we have a boutique now with very helpful people. The manager is A+. Spending time in Palm Beach the Saks there did not have any BV as well and I don't recall seeing any in the Saks in Chevy Chase.

I had previously seen BV at the Tyson's store, so I was surprised. Last week I saw Prada, Dior, YSL, and a couple others, maybe MJ, but I don't recall Tod's. I probably didn't look closely enough.

Considering the online Saks has more BV than the online NM, I expected to see some in the store.

I had previously seen BV at the Tyson's store, so I was surprised. Last week I saw Prada, Dior, YSL, and a couple others, maybe MJ, but I don't recall Tod's. I probably didn't look closely enough.

Considering the online Saks has more BV than the online NM, I expected to see some in the store.

The Saks at Tyson's Galleria carried BV a few years ago but have not carried BV for at least two years. The Saks in Chevy Chase carries a few BV's but not a very good selection.

The Tyson's store just started carrying Tods about six months ago, on a trial basis. Unfortunately only the older styles are carried -- the older D bags and pashmy bags. No G bags etc. I don't understand how Tods in will survive in this store if newer styles are not offered for sale.

Tyson's has discontinued many of my favorite designers -- bags, shoes and clothing. I find myself driving over to the Chevy Chase store to do my shopping now. Not only is the selection much better in the MD store, but the employees at the Chevy Chase store are much nicer and more knowledgeable.

The NY Saks has a great selection of BV's. I usually just call the NY store directly. I think Boston has a good selection too.

Thank goodness for the new BV boutique in the Galleria!! :biggrin:

i think the inventory of any particular department store varies greatly from location to location. the san francisco saks carries BV (though when they renovated BV lost its private area) but it doesn't carry chanel or chloe and only recently started carrying fendi. i believe saks online sources from the stores so it doesn't surprise me that it has more inventory than neiman's which has a separate warehouse for online items.

While in the DC area recently, I went into the Tyson's Saks to look at bags. Obviously someone at that store has lost their marbles because there were only about 4 brands in the entire purse section.

Anyway, not a single BV in the Tysons Saks store. Yet they are online. Those of you who live near Saks stores--are BV's still being carried in-store?

The Neiman Marcus in the same mall had quite a few BV's and multiple other designer bags.

LMAO!!! I didn't catch this before. Thank you so much for saying that!! I TOTALLY agree. :nuts:

Also, forgot to mention the "smaller" Saks stores do not carry BV. I think fewer than half the stores carry BV....maybe a third do...

The reason the Saks in Tysons and Chevy Chase does not carry BV anymore is because of its proximity to the new BV boutique.. The same holds true at Saks in Palm Beach where the BV boutique is on the same street as is at NM in Natick, where just outside the store there is a new BV boutique.. there are probably clauses in BV's leases preventing other stores within a certain radius to sell their brand ( non- compete clause)..or these stores never did well with these bags to begin with

^that is true for every brand -- they want to prevent oversaturation. but the problem isn't just the BV boutique -- it's the BV boutique and the neiman's that carries BV. the sf neiman's carries BV and there is a BV boutique across the street. so two stores within close proximity must be the maximum.

Saks at Plaza Frontenac in St. Louis does not carry BV either, but at the other end of the mall, Neiman Marcus does. There is no BV boutique around, and the closest is in Chicago.

The manager of the designer bag department of our Nordstrom told me it's the designer who determines what stores will carry their brand and the individual department store has little say in the matter other than to submit a request. The brand only stays if a certain percentage sells at full retail. That's why we lost BV here. The bags were only selling at sale prices. Mulberry also pulled out. There's never been any Tod's or Prada bags. This Nordie's claim to fame is Burberry and Jimmy Choo. I don't even bother to walk through the department any longer.

LLANeedle - Mulberry pulled out here, too. The brand new NM in The Bravern, Bellevue is supposed to carry BV. This is the same general location where BV pulled out of the plans to open a boutique.

The reason the Saks in Tysons and Chevy Chase does not carry BV anymore is because of its proximity to the new BV boutique.. The same holds true at Saks in Palm Beach where the BV boutique is on the same street as is at NM in Natick, where just outside the store there is a new BV boutique.. there are probably clauses in BV's leases preventing other stores within a certain radius to sell their brand ( non- compete clause)..or these stores never did well with these bags to begin with

This makes sense--BV is literally next door in the mall, if I remember correctly.

All of you have had a lot of info that helps me understand the why's of which stores get which brands--THANK YOU! It reminds me of Chicago's Neimans and Saks: NM doesn't have a LV section, but Saks does. There is a large LV store on North Michigan Ave. and Saks is a tad further away from the LV stand-alone store.

The only Saks I know of in NC is in Raleigh and their handbag department is pitiful--I don't bother going at all.