pawn shop finds - photos of your pawn shop treasures

I've never actually been to a pawn shop. In the rural area I live in (WI), there just aren't any. Though like Japster said (I never realized until right now that her avatar says she lives in the same state I'm in!), I am sure there are some in Milwaukee or Madison but I have never thought to visit one. Maybe I'll have to have a look sometime!

Maybe I am antiquated, I'm in my mid-forties and live in a very traditional, conservative and rural area within the UK, a place where people would flinch at the thought of a pawn shop. Where I am pawn shops are the last legitimate port of call before the loan shark.

Furthermore (admittedly it's a old comedy film full of stereotypes) in Trading Places, if I remember correctly, Dan Akroyds very expensive watch was only worth $50 in Philadelphia...

I realize that sort of stereotype is over 20 years old now, and from what I've read here, times have changed greatly with regards to it all. Maybe it will change over here soon.

I can understand that and I think the attitudes in the US have changed much more lately or perhaps mostly because I'm in the business and seen the shift from "the retail jewelers" and "the pawn dealers" as stereotypes become much more integrated over the last few years. Part of this is, like I mentioned, economy related.

You can now drive past your local jewelers that have signs saying "We buy gold" - something that was looked down upon previously or that have ads on all the radio stations about buying gold. The snobby attitude within the industry has been humbled because those retail jewelers had to get into taking in scrap to survive since they aren't selling. I read the jeweler network discussion boards and I'm amazed how many high-end jewelers are now buying old gold/scrap.

I've never actually been to a pawn shop. In the rural area I live in (WI), there just aren't any. Though like Japster said (I never realized until right now that her avatar says she lives in the same state I'm in!), I am sure there are some in Milwaukee or Madison but I have never thought to visit one. Maybe I'll have to have a look sometime!

*waves* I didn't realize you were in WI either. doh! Nice to see you neighbor!

Pardon my ignorance....what exactly is a pawn shop? It seems like people find diamonds there! if so...where are pawn shops in Florida? Thank you!

basically a pawn shop is a place where people will go for quick cash to sell their wares (i.e. jewelry, guitars, video games, xbox consoles, etc.). and in return, the pawn shop will sell that item typically very cheap compared to buying it brand new or on ebay or craigslist.

unfortunately, over the years, pawn shops got a bad rap for supposedly ripping people off and taking advantage of them while they're vulnerable. i truly don't believe that's always the case. however, it is in some, but not always.

i look at it this way, it's a place to buy used stuff—whether it's jewelry or a dvd. you can typically get a really good deal. and also a place to sell your stuff if you don't want to deal with the hassles of a yard sale, craigslist or high fees of ebay (or deadbeat buyers who can leave you a negative).

i imagine there are plenty of pawn shops in florida. they're all over the place, you just have to look. unfortunately, they're typically not in the best part of a city.

I don't see anything wrong from buying from a reputable pawn shop. They do exsist. I look at them just like a consignment/resale shop. Buyer beware, but you can often get things for a really good price. Enjoy your ring. It is gorgey!

Anne

Call me crap, but I think it's a bit sad that people seem to be benefiting from other peoples misfortunes. The people who have put their property up in a pawn shop are well aware of their value yet are desperate. I know this is how the world is, but I certainly wouldn't feel happy wearing it. There's something rather unpleasant about the whole thing imo:sad:.

Sometimes people just sell items because they don't want them, it doesn't necessarily mean that they HAD to sell them.. People always get me and my sister the same jewelry so we end up selling one since we won't wear it as the same time.. We also end up selling any jewelry we receive and don't really like, it might sound rude but I'd rather use that money to buy something I would actually use than keep all this jewelry in my closet..

Unfortunately I live in a society that finds it "wrong" to sell or buy used items so we don't really have any pawn shops where I live :sad:

I"m all for reduce, reuse and recycle....but the Chinese have a superstition that it's bad luck to use somebody's used items....like the bad luck is transferred to another person..so if you can get pass that, then go for it.

But then does that mean that a family can't pass down heirloom jewelry to descendants? Family members using/wearing inherited jewelry - does that mean they inherit the "bad luck" that an ancestor may have had?

One of my close friends owns a pawn shop in NC. Fabulous jewelry and prices. Not all his items are pawned, some he buys new and some from estate sales. Most of my jewelry is from his store (minus my pearls from Japster and a couple of other internet vendors). I have some fabulous high end pieces including Chimento, Charrioll, Tiffany, etc that I paid pennies on the dollar. I actually can't remember the last time I paid retail for jewelry. It just doesn't make sense to me!

^^^wow. sounds stunning. please post pics of your pawn shop jewelry as this what i am trying to promote. it all sounds gorgeous!

my goal is to just go from pawn shop to pawn shop trying to find that special anniversary/stackable ring to add to my collection. beautiful stuff out there.

^^ I'll post some of the types a pieces that one of my regular dealers buys from me. He is a pawn shop owner and really enjoys carrying old Estate goods. My father and I pick up lots of large Estates and he is one of the first people I call.

An old Bracelet with french Hallmarks, early 1900's
attachment.php

1920's Diamond Chandeliers in 18K, Emerald & Diamond Chandeliers
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 18kBracelet1.jpg
    18kBracelet1.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 3,078
  • ANT-DiamCollage2.jpg
    ANT-DiamCollage2.jpg