Small online vendors and their 'interesting' practices.....

Cecilia2

O.G.
Mar 26, 2007
In the last couple of months, in my quest to locate some difficult to find items, I've been exposed to some rather, ehem, 'interesting' practices and tactics by three small online vendors.

It always starts out the same way..... I do a Google search for the item, and the vendor's name pops up. The item is stated to be in stock, and everything looks fine.

One vendor charged my card instantly, then four days later, sent an email stating that the item wasn't in stock and had no anticipated restock date. I called, cancelled the order, and was promised, (verbally) that my card would be credited. After numerous calls, and a month going by, I got my cc involved. The cc card rep said there was no sign of a credit coming through, and that they would handle it for me. Once they got involved, the credit miraculously appeared from the vendor. After doing research on this vendor, I found stories of them rerunning the charge AFTER the cc company had resolved the dispute, so I had my cc company block them from ever running my card.

I had similar issues, (bad, but not quite as bad) with one of the other vendors, and the third looks like they are going to take eons to credit me for a return they've had in their possession for almost two weeks.

At this point, I have sworn off small online vendors. Some of the tactics I have seen can only be described as shady, bordering on theft. Does anyone have any similar stories to tell?

Oh no! That is horrible!
I'm not sure, but I think these people can't do that too often though because eventually their banks will take away their merchant accounts and make it hard for them to get a new one?

Oh no! That is horrible!
I'm not sure, but I think these people can't do that too often though because eventually their banks will take away their merchant accounts and make it hard for them to get a new one?
I hope you're right! I think the first one I wrote about is in financial trouble, and they're trying to hold onto money as long as they can--even for a product they will never have in stock.

I've heard all kinds of stories... I dont understand how these people can get away with this kind of stuff.

I think they get away with it because the dollar amounts are small, and customers don't push back hard enough. I've definitely learned to proceed with caution on small vendors. I recommend doing lots of research on them if their name is unfamiliar. It can save lots time and frustration.

that's awful! im sure there's some way to report them...i've actually had pretty good experiences with smaller vendors, mostly because i call them and talk them about any issues or worries i have, and they are easy to get ahold of because only a few people run the operation. its easier for them to remember your name and what you ordered. maybe you should post about the site specifically somewhere online to warn others about it!